WSR and Word 2007

I am starting to go through the available commands, I am finding that some of them I was looking for are actually there, but appear under names I am not used to.

In any event, I am finding that some commands simply don’t work, I can say subscript that or superscript that and the command is correctly recognised, however nothing happens. This also seems to be true for zoom menu.

I will report further in due course

Graham

emiliaserv2010-06-12 10:37:23

Graham,

We note the problem. While these commands work in Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) uses SAPI 5 vs. DNS which uses SAPI 4. As a result there are certain commands that don’t work exactly the same. Most of the commands from Microsoft Word 2007 do work properly. However, Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) is not as refined as far as the speed of command recognition. The consequent result is that sometimes you have to say a command twice or slow down your dictation of the command ever so slightly in order to get Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) to recognize it correctly on the first shot. Regardless, the “superscript that” and “subscript that” are simply toggles that turn superscripting and subscripting on or off depending upon the current state. If you issue the commands at the cursor location, they simply move to either the superscript or the subscript condition. If you select text and then issue the commands, what you select will be superscripted or subscripted depending upon which command you execute.

Unfortunately, using Active Accessibility in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) requires that access to superscripting and subscripting by voice command be done from the “Home” ribbon.

There is a workaround that works very effectively and does the exact same thing as “superscript that” and "“subscript that” in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR). Try the following two options:

1. Instead of saying “superscript that” and “subscript that”, try saying “superscript” and “subscript”. These are the normal toggles in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR). However, you may find that the commands do not work if the focus is not on the “Home” ribbon bar. If so, try #2.

2. Open the Office button and select “Word Options”. Go to Customize and on the left side select “All Commands” from the drop-down list. Scroll down the list of all commands until you find “superscript” and “subscript” and add them to the “Quick Access Toolbar”. Save the settings and go back to your Word document. You should now be able to use the commands “superscript” and “subscript” at any time regardless of what ribbon bar is active. Set up in this manner, these commands will work exactly the same way as “superscript that” and “subscript that”.

Let me know how that works for you. I’ve tested it and it works for me in Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010 using Windows Speech Recognition (WSR). In the meantime, I will bring this to Ron’s attention. Also, please do let us know if you find any others that don’t work. However, please test them extensively before you report such because we have found that they don’t always execute precisely depending upon how you dictate them. Nevertheless, I have been able to get the remaining commands to work with a little bit of fiddling around with my dictation style and pronunciation.