Windows 10 Office 2016

I have not used Dragon extensively with the new setup, but so far have experienced few problems. The only three which I have seen so far are that when using Excel 2016, (which is still in beta so I’m using the trial version), if I want to use the command ‘move to cell Bravo 120’ this gets interpreted as ‘move to sell Bravo 120’ and this text is inserted into the current cell.

I also find that when using the command to correct text and the spelling window is open if I dictate the words November Tango then sometimes the letters ‘not’ are inserted. I do not think that this is due to my poor dictation, but it could be.

The final problem is that when correcting text using the spelling window and issuing the command ‘choose X’ then Dragon takes a long time on occasion to respond. The last two problems may be nothing to do with VoiceComputer or with Dragon but may be due to the fact that development of Office 2016 is still not complete yet.

I am using Dragon 13 Premium and VoiceComputer 13-5-80.

Viv

Viv,

DNS 13 is not yet 100% compatible with Windows 10. Some of the issues that you’re experiencing are probably due to these compatibility issues. For example:

1. Latency issues and Advanced Scripting (Custom Commands in DNS 13 Professional), which do not work in DNS 13 currently when using Microsoft Office 2013 or the technical preview version of Microsoft Office 2016. You shouldn’t experience any problems with DNS 13 Premium except as regards latency. We’re all just going to have to be patient and wait for the .5 release of DNS 13. Nuance has scheduled a public webinar on the 18th of August to inform users of the upcoming 13.5 release and it’s features and functions relative to Windows 10 support, and I suspect some bug fixes. The problem you are experiencing with the Spelling Window has nothing to do with VoiceComputer, which is perfectly Windows 10 compatible.

2. As far as using the phonetic/international alphabet (alpha bravo Charlie etc.) in the DNS 13 Spelling Window, this does occur from time to time. That is, you can say November Tango, and sometimes get “not”. That’s not unusual. Also, without making assumptions, you will never, or shouldn’t, get anything but characters spelled out in the Spelling Window. That’s just the way that the Spelling Window works in DNS 13. I’ve never seen the Spelling Window in DNS 13 ever spell out the international/phonetic alphabet in either DNS 13 Premium or Professional. I don’t believe that’s the way that DNS 13 is designed. You might have been able to do that in DNS 12 and below, and if you upgrade your DNS 12 and below user profile that might carry over, but a clean, new profile in DNS 13 should not do that. I will add this, at least it doesn’t do it on any of my test machines, of which I have 5.

3. Whenever you’re dictating numbers in Microsoft Excel, once you get to 100, Dragon will only accept certain types of numerical pronunciations. For example “move to cell Bravo one twenty” will give you the text in the cell vs. the command to move to cell 120. Try saying “move to cell one hundred twenty” or “go to cell one hundred and twenty”. I would guess you will find those work better. Just the way numbers over 100 work in DNS, and particularly in Microsoft Excel which is picky, picky, picky.

Will have to wait and see what Nuance says about Windows 10, but the problems that you’re experiencing are probably due to issues with Office 2016 and/or Windows 10.

Addendum: I have three different machines set up with Windows 10 final release. One is using DNS 13 Professional with Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, one is using DMPE 2.2 under Windows 10 64-bit, and the last is using DNS 13 Premium under Windows 10 32-bit. I have thoroughly tested the current version of VoiceComputer 13.5.80.

In addition, we will not support Microsoft Office 2016 until it is released. However, you should configure VoiceComputer for Microsoft Office 2013. The commands listed for Office 2013 applications should be the same for 2016, and that will give you an advantage over users who are not using VoiceComputer.Chucker2015-08-09 17:36:40

Chuck:

Please explain latency four us novices

Barry,

Simply put in my reference above, latency = delay. In technical terms, Dragon waits until you pause when you dictate text or a command. The wait time is approximately 250 ms, or 1/4 of a second, after which Dragon either displays your text in the document or executes a command once it has determined whether or not your dictation is text or a command to be executed. What I’m referring to is unusual or excessive delay in performing either of the above. Under optimal conditions (normal conditions), when Dragon is set up properly and your hardware/windows/software is working properly, the display of text once you pause after dictation should be virtually instantaneous. In the same sense, commands should execute immediately. When the delay in the display of text or the execution of the command is more than 1/4 to 1/2 of a second, we call that latency.

Latency becomes very noticeable when the delay is greater than one second. For example, in DNS 12 using BestMatch V Gen.-Large vocabulary in the professional version, the delay in displaying text or executing a command was often up to five seconds. In some cases this forced users to go back to BestMatch IV, which didn’t have this bug. That was corrected in DNS 13. So, in any case if the latency is greater than one second, something is wrong with either Windows, your computer, Dragon, or conflicts/interference with a particular software application.

Sorry for any confusion. Hope that helps your understanding.

Thanks Chuck,

I realise that some of the problems I am experiencing are due to the fact that Dragon has not been updated to work with Windows 10 yet, and I don't expect VoiceComputer to be updated to work with Office 2016 before that has been finalised. I just wanted to post some information in case some people are thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 and Office 2016 to publicise some of the problems they may encounter.

I accept that the introduction of spurious letters which I have not dictated in the Spelling Window are just one of those things that I will have to put up with, but fortunately it happens rarely.

It was not my intention to suggest that the problems are related to VoiceComputer as my assumption is that they are due to Dragon not working correctly with Windows 10 and Office 2016 yet.

Thanks for the suggestion to configure VoiceComputer for Office 2013, I had not done that and it was set for the previous version, however when I tried the move command to a row with a number less than 100 Dragon still interpreted what I said as text I was dictating, rather than as a command. I have also noticed that the Dragon commands to move to a specific row or column, 'row 50' and 'column Alpha' or 'column A', are also interpreted as dictation rather than commands. Fortunately that is not much of a problem as I can use the move up or down, left or right commands to move the small number of cells that I wish to move.

With the latency problem I am seeing in the Spelling Window it seems that the best solution is not to say 'choose 1' but to say 'click okay' or 'okay' and this appears to execute with no noticeable latency.

Another problem I have encountered in Excel is that when I want to backspace several characters I have to give the command 4 times if there are 4 characters as only one character is deleted at a time.

No doubt within the next few weeks or months all of these problems will disappear.

Viv