will is work?

I need your advice.

<p>I now dictate into a tape recorder and my transcriptionist types it into a program her friend wrote for me.</p>

<p>She is about to retire.  I tried to do it myself, but I'm no typist, and keep forgetting how to get between all the windows to type in my notes.</p>

<p>She suggested Dragon, but it seems your program would not only help me to type, but also to jump around.</p>

<p>Can your program get me to the right places in my program?  Can I use it to type the words I say?</p>

<p>Also, the computer is at the nurses station.  Can I use your program with them talking and using the phone around me?</p>

<p>Probably most important, will I be sitting up all night to record my work?  Am I better off hiring a new typist, (time is money!).</p>

<p>Thank you</p></font>

[quote] I now dictate into a tape recorder and my transcriptionist types it into a program her friend wrote for me.

</p><p>She is about to retire. I tried to do it myself, but I'm no typist, and keep forgetting how to get between all the windows to type in my notes.</p><p>

</p><p>She suggested Dragon, but it seems your program would not only help me to type, but also to jump around.</p><p>

</p><p>Can your program get me to the right places in my program? Can I use it to type the words I say?

[/quote]

</p><p>Solomon,</p><p>

</p><p>VoicePower is not a speech recognition program by itself<font face="Arial">. What VoicePower does is integrate with and provide virtually hands-free control of your computer with features that are not built into Dragon NaturallySpeaking when used in conjunction with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. VoicePower contains thousands of built-in commands, speech interactive learning and help, and can increase your productivity significantly (i.e., getting more work done in less time) than Dragon NaturallySpeaking alone. Many of the VoicePower commands reduce the number of speech commands necessary to accomplish given tasks to one or two vs. Dragon's four or more. Just like pilots use a flight simulator to learn how to fly, VoicePower performs the same basic function allowing you to ask for and get help or information right alongside what you're currently working in without losing focus in such.</font></p><p><font face="Arial">

</font></p><p>Adding VoicePower to Dragon NaturallySpeaking will significantly improve your ability to navigate applications and the Windows desktop<font face="Arial"> (i.e., get you to the right places in your program(s) per your question). However, typing text by voice is a function of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. In short, VoicePower adds many powerful commands and features to Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but it does not replace Dragon NaturallySpeaking for dictation (typing text).</font></p><p><font face="Arial">
</font>
</p><p>

</p><p>The ability to function in the presence of people talking or answering phones around you, or background ambient noise, is a function of both your computer system and, most specifically, the microphone/soundcard that you're using with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. There are a couple of microphones that provide top-of-the-line noise canceling and that can effectively handle this type of situation. However, much of noise canceling is dependent upon the volume of the background ambient noise levels or people talking around you<font face="Arial">. Nothing can guarantee, absolutely, that you can dictate effectively in a specific environment. Also, the Sennheiser MD 431 II and the Samson Airline 77 wireless microphones are among the best, but they are also among the most expensive ($300-$400).</font></p><p><font face="Arial">

</font></p><p>In addition, the performance (speed) with which you can dictate and have the text appear on screen in your document or application is dependent upon your hardware configuration. You can't simply use any computer, and computers that meet only the minimum requirements for using Dragon NaturallySpeaking are generally underpowered, particularly for DNS 11-11.5<font face="Arial">. I do not know what your specific environment for dictation is, nor do I know specifically whether or not your hardware would meet the recommended requirements for using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Getting more information on that topic is probably better handled via a brief phone call. You can contact me and leave me your phone number at chuck@voiceteach.com. I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding your needs and the capabilities of both Dragon NaturallySpeaking and VoicePower. Otherwise, answering your specific needs and questions on this forum, because you're not currently familiar with Dragon, would take too long and be too involved.</font></p><p><font face="Arial">
</font>
</p><p>

</p><p>There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat using speech recognition<font face="Arial">. Personally, I don't think that hiring a new typist is the most cost-effective approach. The current versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking are quite capable of transcribing transcribing audio files (dictation) on a good, high-quality Digital Voice Recorder up to a level of 98% to 99% accuracy. This can eliminate the need for anyone to listen to your audio files and transcribing such by manually typing them. This is many times faster and the cost of a good, high-quality Digital Voice Recorder would pay for itself very quickly, after which any cost associated with purchasing and using such would be virtually zero.</font></p><p><font face="Arial">

</font></p><p>Properly set up with the right hardware, you will save yourself many hours and significantly reduce your costs using Dragon NaturallySpeaking, or Dragon NaturallySpeaking and VoicePower<font face="Arial">. Also, it may not be necessary to spend hundreds of extra dollars purchasing one of the Professional versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking (i.e., anywhere from $400 all the way up to $1700 +) in order to do what you want to do and do it effectively. All versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking from Premium all away on up through Dragon Medical Practice Edition use the same underlying speech engine and provide exactly the same performance and accuracy, again predicated on your hardware configuration. One of the other advantages of VoicePower is that you don't need to have an understanding of programming (i.e., Advanced Scripting) to create command macros for the most useful application interactions. VoicePower has 90% of the most useful commands for your purposes built-in. The VoiceShortcuts capability handles many of the other customizable commands using dialogs (wizards) that take only about 10 to 20 seconds to create and which are 100% reliable. No programming, no scripting, and no complex creation process is involved. In addition, everything that VoicePower can to contains complete instructions built-in to each of these VoiceShortcut creation processes.</font></p><p><font face="Arial">

</font></p><p>With the understanding that I've only scratched the surface<font face="Arial">, I hope that this information is useful at least preliminarily. Still, I think that I can give you a better understanding of what you can and can't do, as well as how and what requirements there are for doing such, in a 20 min. phone conversation. So, please feel free to contact me and leave your phone number and I will be glad to talk to you in more detail.</font></p><font face="Arial"></font>