VoicePower with non-English display languages

I currently use WSR on a regular basis and am considering investing in VoicePower and Dragon NaturallySpeaking as well. Before I do so however, I’d like to know how VoicePower interacts (or if it even does) with a non-English display language. The reason I ask is because I read in some other forum that the only way to conveniently switch between two languages is to have WSR in one language and DNS in the other. I’d like to switch back and forth between English and Chinese and logging off and back on again is not ideal. Does anyone have experience with this?

rj,

Sorry to delay responding to your question.

First, you can have both Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and Dragon NaturallySpeaking loaded in Windows 7 at the same time (simultaneously). To switch back and forth, you only need to turn off the microphone in one or the other. Otherwise, you’ll get double dictation. Particularly if you’re using Chinese on the one hand and English on the other, the results would be quite bizarre, even though Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and DNS can be active at the same time (i.e., no conflict).

Second, we have only tested VoicePower with a couple of non-English languages. VoicePower is solely English based. We did find that, for example with Italian, you could dictate VoicePower commands in English and they would execute. However, we don’t recommend it anyway. There is so much in VoicePower that would have to be localized two different languages that it would be far too difficult to recompile such an localized to specific language versions of speech recognition. However, it will work with both Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and Dragon NaturallySpeaking, though you have to do some switching which is actually not that difficult and can be done pretty much on-the-fly.

As regards your particular setup, I would recommend that you use Chinese in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and English in Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Nevertheless, you wouldn’t have to log on and off to switch between either Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) or DNS. Simply turn off the microphone in one and use the other. If you’re interested in VoicePower, I would recommend that you set it up for DNS English, but you’re welcome to try it with Chinese and Windows Speech Recognition (WSR). Because DNS doesn’t come in Chinese, you would have to use it with English anyway.

I hope this gives you an adequate explanation. If not, let me know what else you need to know.

Chuck,

Thanks for your response! It looks like what I want to do may actually work. But before I jump in with both feet, let me ask a few follow-up questions. For all these questions, assume that the display language on my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) is Chinese, I’m running the English version of DNS and VoicePower is configured for DNS. (I’ve never actually used DNS or VoicePower so my ignorance may shine through here.)

After writing all the questions below, I think I can now summarize my main question. It is basically this: By using the setup you suggest, can I navigate my computer entirely in English except for a when I want to work with Chinese texts, surf Chinese web pages or run Chinese software?

1. Let’s say I want to click the start button. If the WSR microphone is turned off and the DNS microphone is on, will saying “click start” open the start menu?

2. Now I want to click on the documents folder or some other folder in the start menu like the control panel. Can I say " click documents" or “click control panel” even though these English words are nowhere to be seen on the menu? Or do I need to turn off the DNS microphone, turn on the WSR microphone and issue the commands in Chinese?

3. I have the English version of Office 2007. WSR navigation commands (like changing the view or inserting a table) only seem to work when the display language is in English. Will this problem be solved if I am also using VoicePower and DNS? Can I simply switch the microphone to DNS and navigate and dictate using Office in more or less the same way I was able to do with WSR?

4. Say I want to do a Google search. Will I have select-and-say capabilities in either language (depending obviously on which microphone is active :-))?

OK, I think that’s enough questions. Thanks again for all your help!

[QUOTE] Thanks for your response! It looks like what I want to do may actually work. But before I jump in with both feet, let me ask a few follow-up questions. For all these questions, assume that the display language on my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) is Chinese, I'm running the English version of DNS and VoicePower is configured for DNS. (I've never actually used DNS or VoicePower so my ignorance may shine through here.)

After writing all the questions below, I think I can now summarize my main question. It is basically this: By using the setup you suggest, can I navigate my computer entirely in English except for a when I want to work with Chinese texts, surf Chinese web pages or run Chinese software? [/QUOTE]

rj,

Sorry for delaying getting back to you on this but it took some thought to figure out the most likely scenario that will work for you.

First, you may not be able to do what you want to do if you are using the Chinese version of Windows. The reason for this is very simple. Dragon NaturallySpeaking does not support Chinese. I've checked this with Nuance development folks and they indicate that you may have difficulty using DNS for English on Windows for Chinese. So, this may be a gamble and there's no guarantee that it will work properly.

[QUOTE] 1. Let's say I want to click the start button. If the WSR microphone is turned off and the DNS microphone is on, will saying "click start" open the start menu? [/QUOTE]

In theory, yes. However, using international language versions of Windows create some problems for DNS English when creating a user profile. We have run into this before with the Japanese version of Windows. So, again, it's a gamble. As long as DNS for English will function properly and you can create a user profile using US English, or you can try UK English if that is what your accent is, that works properly, then in theory you should be able to do this. However, there is no guarantee and Nuance will not support you, nor can we, unfortunately, because VoicePower is only designed for US/UK English. We have had some success using VoicePower with international language versions of DNS, but again, it's a gamble and we can't guarantee anything. The only international language that we have tried this with his Italian and, again unfortunately, DNS doesn't come in Chinese.

[QUOTE] 2. Now I want to click on the documents folder or some other folder in the start menu like the control panel. Can I say " click documents" or "click control panel" even though these English words are nowhere to be seen on the menu? Or do I need to turn off the DNS microphone, turn on the WSR microphone and issue the commands in Chinese? [/QUOTE]

If you can get DNS for English working properly on your system configured the way you have it, then turning off the microphone for Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and turning on the microphone for Dragon NaturallySpeaking should, in theory, allow you to use English to access the Start menu and any program files and folders. However, this presupposes that these are displayed in English. If they are displayed in Chinese, it is unlikely that this will work. On the other hand, if you use the English version of Windows 7, you should be able to set up Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) for Chinese as Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) does support Chinese (simple Chinese). Therefore, even with the English version of Windows, you should be able to dictate into any Chinese applications using Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and dictating in Chinese. However, we have not tried this because we obviously don't speak Chinese. However, DNS for English relies on the English words for access to any files, folders, webpages, etc. VoicePower commands can be accessed via English and may work on your system. However, the only thing that we can advise you is that you would have to experiment and, although VoicePower recognizes English commands using DNS for English, there's no guarantee that dictating the Chinese files, folders, webpages, etc. using English will actually access them. It's a complex interaction and it may not work to be perfectly honest.

[QUOTE] 3. I have the English version of Office 2007. WSR navigation commands (like changing the view or inserting a table) only seem to work when the display language is in English. Will this problem be solved if I am also using VoicePower and DNS? Can I simply switch the microphone to DNS and navigate and dictate using Office in more or less the same way I was able to with WSR? [/QUOTE]

Again, you should have no problems using DNS for English and VoicePower when working in Microsoft Office as long as Office is in English. We haven't tried this on a system set up like yours, but all of the DNS commands and VoicePower commands for Microsoft Office are based on English. So, theoretically there should work. However, and again, we can only offer you the theoretical perspective because we can't verify whether or not it would actually work. It should, but no guarantees. It depends on a number of factors but if you're dictating with DNS in English and the application into which you were dictating is English, then in principle it should work.

[QUOTE] 4. Say I want to do a Google search. Will I have select-and-say capabilities in either language (depending obviously on which microphone is active ;-)) [/QUOTE]

If you're doing a Google search and you're using Windows for Chinese, then DNS may not work. The same applies to VoicePower. The recognition of text and commands are dependent upon English when using DNS for English and VoicePower. I doubt seriously that DNS would recognize Chinese websites. However, there is one command VoicePower that might work by virtue of selecting text that you want to search for in a particular document or window and saying "Google search that". Under this condition VoicePower may recognize such (i.e. copy the text that you have selected and perform a search on that basis) because the search command in VoicePower isn't dependent upon language. It's dependent upon what is copied to the clipboard.

My suggestion is that if you want to use Chinese (Windows Speech Recognition (WSR)) and English (DNS & VoicePower), your best setup is to use the English version of Windows and the simple Chinese version of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR), along with DNS for English and VoicePower for dictating and navigating your system. This should work reliably because you can set up DNS and VoicePower for English and use Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) in Chinese by simply turning the microphone on for which ever version of speech recognition you want to be using. However, Windows for English will likely give you the results that you want. Windows for Chinese likely will not.

Chucker,

Again, thanks for replying. I think there are only a couple more things that need clarifying.

1. I’m 99% certain that I’m using an English version of Windows 7 Ultimate. It was bought in the States. I had to add Chinese as an input language onto my keyboard in order to type in Chinese.

2. As far as I understand, only Windows 7 Ultimate and (I think) Windows 7 Enterprise allow the user to change display languages. These display languages are optional downloads, and simplified Chinese is one of these options. Users of other versions of Windows 7 must pay in order to download different display languages. The reason I mention this, is because the display language is linked to handwriting and speech recognition in Windows operating systems. In other words, if the display language can’t be changed to language X then you won’t be able to write (handwriting not typing) or speak using language X either. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Because I have Windows 7 Ultimate, I can switch my display language back and forth between English and Chinese. Unfortunately, in order to switch display languages, you have to log off and on again. This is not at all practical if I’m working on a document that requires both languages-- thus my interest in running WSR in one language (i.e., with Chinese as the display language) and DNS with VoicePower in English. It seems to me, one could test this setup by changing the display language to a non-English one and seeing if you could still control the computer using DNS with VoicePower. Just make sure you remember the steps to change the display language in case you can’t actually understand the display language :-). (In Windows 7, this is done by going to the control panel and clicking on “change display language” which is located under the “Clock, Language, and Region” heading. Then all you need to do is click on the “Keyboards and Languages” tab, and everything else and should be more or less self-explanatory.)

So, if there’s anyone out there who has Windows 7 Ultimate, DNS and VoicePower that is willing to try this and let me know what happens, I’d be most grateful.

Since my last post, I have bought and installed VoicePower Ultimate and Dragon NaturallySpeaking premium 11.5. The setup that Chuck has suggested seems to be working. The only thing I’ll note is that when using Windows speech recognition (in Chinese), Dragon’s microphone needs to be off, not sleeping. Otherwise, the "correct " function of Windows speech recognition doesn’t work.

I was also surprised to notice that I can still use English commands (when using Dragon of course) to open standard Windows files (for example: control panel, my documents, my music etc.). Basically, if the English command is listed in Dragon help than I can still use it even though my display language is in Chinese. I don’t know exactly why this works, but I like it.

</p><p>

</p><p>rj,</p><p>

</p><p>Thanks for the update on the fact that you can use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5 premium and Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) (Chinese<font face="Arial">). That's useful information.</font></p><p><font face="Arial">

</font></p><p>On the other hand, while you can have Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) open and loaded and DNS loaded<font face="Arial">, you need to turn the microphone off completely on which ever version you're not using. That's a given. The behavior to which you refer is a known issue. You definitely have to turn the microphone off for Dragon NaturallySpeaking if you're going to run anything command wise in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR).</font></p><p><font face="Arial">
</font></p><p> </p><p>
</p><p>

</p><p>I can't say that I'm surprised because if you're using DNS with the standard US or UK English user profile<font face="Arial">, all the commands should work. The language may be slightly different, but the executables are English (WinWord.exe and things like the control panel) for the most part.  localization for different languages  doesn't exclude everything  from being standard  format  as would be the case if you're language were English .  I would guess uess not everything works where things like the titlebar's and other aspects are in Chinese. However, most of the underlying commands and shortcuts are still pretty much standard Windows regardless of the language. Interesting to know.</font></p><p><font face="Arial">

</font></p><p>My question would be how well those VoicePower work when using Dragon NaturallySpeaking on your Chinese display, and doesn't work when you switch to VoicePower using Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) (Chinese)<font face="Arial">? That would be useful information for us.</font></p>
.<edited><editID>Chucker</editID><editDate>2011-09-20 17:17:45</editDate></edited>

It appears that Dragon NaturallySpeaking does not play well with Chinese characters in Excel 2007. If I want to edit a cell in Excel I can either press F2 or say edit cell. While I am editing this cell, it is a light blue color until I move out of that cell. If there are any Chinese characters in the given cell they immediately turn into question marks the moment the cell turns blue. Thus far, I haven’t been able to to figure out how to reverse this. If the microphone for Dragon NaturallySpeaking is off or sleeping this does not happen. I’ve tried using about 20 different fonts (some of these have Unicode in the name) for the Chinese characters, but they still turn into question marks as soon as I try to edit the cell with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I’m a serious novice when it comes to Microsoft Excel so maybe I’m just missing something. It appears right now that it is not possible for me to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking if I want to edit a cell that has Chinese characters in it. Also, if I insert any special symbols from from the symbol chart and then try to edit that cell, the symbols also become question marks. Does anyone out there know anything about this? Is this a known bug?

Okay, I think I have discovered a workaround. If I edit the cell via the formula bar, the symbols don’t turn into question marks in the worksheet. Is there a way to go to the formula bar without clicking on it (like a keyboard shortcut or a voice command)?

Chuck, I didn’t quite follow the last paragraph of your last post. Do you have specific commands you would like me to try if VoicePower is configured for Windows Speech Recognition (with Chinese as the display language)?

rj,

<p>I think I answered your question on this issue in the e-mail that I sent to you privately<font face="Arial">. However, in Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010, there is no shortcut key or method of getting to the formula bar as there was in Microsoft Office 2003. Of course, I'm referring to Excel. However, if you maintain your Excel spreadsheets in the same exact location every time you open them, you can create a mouse position command (i.e., 'Place Mouse' command). That will automatically move the mouse pointer to the formula bar. If you establish the mouse position in the right location in the formula bar, then it won't make any difference whether you expand the spreadsheet or shrink it, or shouldn't if you set it up properly, and will always place the mouse inside the formula bar and click there to set the cursor (access).</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>Try that and let me know whether or not that solves that particular problem.</p>

<p>As regards to the last paragraph in my post<font face="Arial">, I was attempting to ask you whether or not VoicePower works with your "Chinese" when using either Dragon NaturallySpeaking or Windows Speech Recognition (WSR). Any issues there? Does it work in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR)?</p><div></div>Keep in mind that Nuance doesn't support the English version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking in any other  language format. They make that very clear  up front. </font>