VoiceComputer Tips Tricks

A VoiceComputer tip (for new users mostly). But I'm also starting this topic so that other users can share their ideas or give general VC command tips. So by all means feel free to respond and add new tips to this thread!
Let's kick off with this one:

If you have created an overlay (MyIntags) for an application that you start multiple times a day then you can speed up your workflow quite a bit by creating a Dragon Voice Command that integrates the calling of the overlay for that application.

Example: being addicted to interesting emails :-) I start my (portable) Thunderbird client numerous times a day, but I don't want to have to say: "Start Thunderbird" followed by "show overlay" all the time because that would really wear out my voice LOL. Instead I have created a fast Dragon DVC command named:

Thunder (short and sweet)

AppBringUp "G:ThunderbirdPortableThunderbirdPortable.exe"
Wait 4000
HeardWord "hide","numbers"
Wait 500
HeardWord "show","overlay"

My basic overlay neatly numbers all In/Sent/Drafts/Junk/Trash boxes of the four email accounts I have imported into Thunderbird. This really is a huge time (and voice) saver.

NOTE: this is NOT an Advanced Scripting command but a (faster) DVC command hence the 4000 milliseconds (which is 4 seconds in Advanced Scripting).
It waits 4000 ms until Thunderbird has properly loaded and has received all incoming emails.

If you want to create a new DVC command yourself you can simply go to your Dragon Command Browser, select: Mode - Script - Global Commands and then look for the command. Double-click it and then click on the Create New button.

Why the "hide","numbers" HW command? Well, Thunderbird is one of the very few applications that has a tendency to interfere with VC when it comes to properly shutting down Intags and then calling up MyIntags (overlays). So to be on the safe side the voice command first dismisses the Intags (waits 500 ms for that to complete) and then calls up the MyIntags (overlay).

Similarly I have created a fast DVC command for replying to any email:

SendKeys "{Alt+m}"
Wait 500
SendKeys "r"
HeardWord "show","overlay","2"
HeardWord "no","spelling"
Wait 500
AppBringUp "C:Program Files (x86)Speech Productivitydictation box defaultdictation box.exe"

As you can see I have created a second overlay which I call up in this command. The HW "no","spelling" is inserted because Thunderbird automatically switches on spelling correction for every new email (which I don't use/like but I don't know how to turn it off globally :-()

The AppBringUp part calls up my SP Dictation Box automatically because Thunderbird is kind of speech unfriendly.

Of course I have also created a command to quickly close Thunderbird, close the overlay and starting Intags:

Exit

SendKeys "{Alt+F4}"
HeardWord "show","numbers"

In this case there is no need to explicitly close the overlay first in the voice command.
That's it for now folks!

Rob
<edited><editID>Speech1965</editID><editDate>2018-06-13 19:40:29</editDate></edited>

In addition to Rob’s advice, you can also configure overlays to be application-specific and also to the way so that you can call the overlay by name (Configure VoiceComputer #5 and #6).

The only thing is that be sure that you understand how to use each of these options, which may take some experimenting.