VoiceComputer fails to open

I received this menu: VoiceComputer failed to stop. Attempted to read or write protected memory. Often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

What now?

Thanks so much,

Jim

I hopefully am attaching a screenshot. As it turns out, the screenshot is too large. I will email it to you.Trionalaw2013-05-04 12:08:33

Probably all the Dragon and/or VoiceComputer processes weren't closed before you tried to restart the program again.
The best alternative is to reboot your computer
Or, you can go to Windows Task Manager and end the following processes:
vp.exe, natspeak.exe, dgnsvc.exe, dgnuiasvr_x64.exe and then launch VoiceComputer.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly Ron:

I went ahead and restarted the computer. I got the same menu and VoiceComputer would not open.

I don’t think I may be Easter bunny mad as he left me a basket.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Are you using VoiceComputer 32bit or 64 bit?
If 32 bit, are you using XP or Win7
If Win7 do you have User Account Control (UAC) turned on or off?
1) Try starting VoiceComputer 2-3 times but end the vp.exe process between each attempt.
If that doesn't work:
2) Try starting VoiceComputer 2-3 times but end the following processes between each attempt.
vp.exe, natspeak.exe, dgnsvc.exe, dgnuiasvr_x64.exe and then launch VoiceComputer.
Let me know!

Ron,

I am running a 64 bit Windows 7. I confirm that with the computer properties tab. Now the strange stuff.

I do not have vp.exe in the taskmaster processes. Rather, I have VoiceComputer which to the right says startup. After a few seconds it closes out or disappears on its own.

I have dgnsvc.exe*32 but do not have it without the *32. I don’t have dgnuiasver_x64 in the processes.

Strange, don’t you think?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

This is typical. The VoiceComputer app is the start-up and shut-down utility. It will close out after it finishes processing.
End the dgnsvc.exe*32 process and try again.
There may be an bug causing an intermittent error. I've seen this a few times over the last several months. Just starting the application a couple of times has always worked so far.
Let me know.
It wouldn't do any good to try to troubleshoot this, because we are in the middle of reprogramming the entire application.
The next step would be to uninstall and install a previous version.

Ron,

The End the dgnsvc.exe*32 process didn’t work.

When I went to download a previous version, all my links had expired, including the one for 12.40.

Don’t worry about this. I can wait until you are finished with reprogramming the new version, unless that is going to be weeks.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Unloading the Dragon service won’t solve anything. The problem is most likely with Dragon itself. Since you’re using VoiceComputer 64-bit in ordered for it to load, it has to see the dgnuiasvr_x64.exe. If it doesn’t see that loading or loaded, then VoiceComputer 64-bit won’t load.

Try unloading everything and rebooting and then load Dragon only. After that, check and make sure that the dgnuiasvr_x64 is loaded. If so, then try relaunching VoiceComputer.

It’s unlikely that VoiceComputer is the culprit.
Chucker2013-04-02 16:07:29

As always, Chucker, I appreciate you getting back to me,

I launched only Dragon and that file(dgnuiasurx64) was present. I then launched VoiceComputer and got the menu where I clicked “open VoiceComputer” since Dragon was already running. I got the same menu about the memory corruption problem.

I know you and Ron are busy. You can put my difficulté on the back burner. And also, you will notice I can no longer download any new versions. If I owe another fee, let me know. Can’t go without VoiceComputer. It would be like removing the Chobham armor from an M1A2 Abrams tank and driving through the streets of Pyongyang, North Korea.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim,

Can you send me a screen capture of the exact verbatim error message that you’re getting? Also, can you send me a copy of your Dragon log? There are so many error messages produced by Windows, applications, Dragon, etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseam that only the exact error points the way.

Send me the screen capture and the Dragon log via email to chuck@voiceteach.com

Chucker:

further proof I have a curse on me from a disgruntled college girlfriend. I decided to shut down my computer last night. When I came in this morning, VoiceComputer deployed and followed my first command of “show my computer.”

If you don’t hear further from me, consider the problem solved. I’m going to wrap my head in aluminum foil. I would do so with the computer but then it would overheat.

Thanks so much for all your help,

Jim

Jim,<br><br>I'm reminded of the following quote that I'm fond of using from time to time.<br><br>"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -- Robert X. Cringely<br><br>just FYI, sometimes it's OK to do a warm boot (restart), but a warm boot doesn't absolutely clear the RAM, which means you can get caught between a rock and a hard place when you simply use a warm boot. The most effective reboot is a cold boot (shut down and restart). A cold boot resets the enable bit on the RAM chips so that all memory (RAM) is cleared. This sometimes can be the difference between when things don't work and when they do. It's obscure and some would disagree with it, but I learned that little tip from a Siemens engineer many years ago.<br><br>As an aside, I will be sending you an email with a solution to one of your other problems with VoiceComputer. If it works for you, then will included in the next release.</p>

As always, great quote, Chucker:

I shut my computer completely down last night so I would have a cold boot this morning. When I did, VoiceComputer failed to open for the same reasons as before. On the second cold boot I got this message in addition to the other one: “VoiceComputer failed to start. The process cannot access the file: C: usersJ_TrionadocumentsVoiceComputerlog config XML.”

However, on the third cold reboot, VoiceComputer opened.

I still think it is a curse from a college girlfriend who was blonde, very smart, and had the equipment to see farther than anyone else at night, plus her family was filthy rich. As I look back, she was certainly bipolar.

Thanks so much and have a good weekend,

Jim

Chucker:

VoiceComputer is simply not opening now. I have tried all your suggestions. I believe I sent you a screenshot. If not, let me know.

As you know, I simply feel helpless without VoiceComputer. I am as addicted to it as I am to voice recognition, Orange Leaf yogurt, bright ties, suspenders and high performance driving schools. Obviously, this is a desperate cry for help.

As always, I appreciate your help.

Enjoy your weekend,

Jim

Jim,

We’ve been working on a major upgrade and hope to release a 64 bit beta within a few days and a 32 bit beta in 7-10 days.
In the interim, it’s probably best to install a previous release instead of trying to troubleshoot an unusual problem with our previous technology.
Send me an email if you need a link to a previous version.

Ron,

thank you for getting back to me so quickly. In light of what I am doing right now for the next couple of days, I will just wait for the 64-bit beta version. Thanks so much.

All the best,

Jim

Chucker:

hopefully you got my screen capture. VoiceComputer now opened but after a few minutes I get a pop up that says it has quit working. It is no longer listed as a process in task manager. I am going to reinstall it and see if that helps.

Thanks so much,

Jim