<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Since you are running Windows 8 Professional, have you been
able to get VoiceComputer through the firewall without having to click the
menu? I followed the instructions to allow it to go through and it was not
contained in the apps. Interestingly, Dragon isn’t either but it is getting
through.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Sorry that I am such a pest. Maybe you and I are the only
two VoiceComputer users who have taken the plunge into Windows 8!<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Jim<o:p></o:p></p>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">< name="tabId" value="53"></span>

Jim,

I had no problems getting it through the firewall and I also turned off UAC.

Now that I have power back in I can run Windows 8 again even though I have no Internet access because our cable provider is still without power, VoiceComputer runs fine along with Dragon 12 Professional on my Windows 8 Professional installation.

Not sure what’s going on with your system, but there should be basically no problem because VoiceComputer does not need to check the Windows version like other applications as I mentioned in a previous post. It only requires net framework 3.5 and doesn’t care what version of Windows you have installed. The only thing VoiceComputer requires is the version that supports your version of Windows (i.e., 32-bit or 64-bit).

I did find some issues that are strictly DNS 12 related because I unloaded VoiceComputer while I was testing Dragon 12 by itself. I put those in another post for everyone’s review.Chucker2012-11-07 15:33:43

<p =“Msonormal”>Thank you, Chucker:<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">Two of my legal management programs, Timeslips for billing
and Amicus Attorney for file management and docketing, would not work with
Windows 8. I therefore had to go back to Windows 7. I somehow screwed the pooch
greatly. I could not remove anything from my C Dr. which is 40 GB. I could not
deploy VoiceComputer from it. Not enough room.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">So I drop my computer off at a local computer outfit. I
ended up buying a new SSD 120 GB to which my 40 GB SSD C Dr. was cloned. This
weekend I will reinstall my 40 GB drive and format it to open up the space.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">I consider this a testimonial to how important VoiceComputer
is to my professional life.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Vote early and often.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Much appreciated,<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Jim<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">Thank you so much Chucker:< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">As it turned out, two of my legal management programs, Timeslips for billing and Amicus Atty. for calendar and file management would not run with Windows 8. I had to go back to Windows 7.< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">Whatever reason, my C Dr. was full and I could not figure out a way to make room for VoiceComputer. So I dropped it off at a computer shop and ended up getting a new 120 gig SSD drive (my C Dr. was 40 SSD). My C Dr. was cloned to the new drive. I haven't gone to Newegg to see how much more I paid for it but everything is running and I am downloading VoiceComputer as we speak.< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">This weekend, I will reinstall my old drive and formatted to get rid of everything.< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">I view this as a testimonial to how important VoiceComputer is to my Digital life.< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">Vote early and often tomorrow.< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">Much appreciated,< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000"><br>< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">< id="plugin0" ="application/x-dgnria" width="0" height="0" style=": ; : 1000">< name="tabId" value="80"></span>

Jim,

I contacted the Timeslips folks, and I still have some contacts at Amicus Attorney. In both instances they confirmed my suspicion that the problem is not with the applications themselves, but with their misidentifying Windows 8. Unusual, but not unexpected considering that the release of Windows 8, just like the original an initial release of Windows XP, has caused some application developers to fall into the cracks created by differences between the pre-release and the final release. Same types of problems occurred with the initial release of Windows XP, which caused a lot of application developers to scramble in order to get full compatibility and functionality with Windows XP. We haven't had that happen since Windows XP. Developers have always had sufficient time to prepare but the difference in the code with which applications used to identify the version of Windows changed between the Prerelease version and the final version of Windows 8. Applications developers would not know this unless they have an MSDN subscription which would allow them to download the RTM version a month before it was released to the public. Therefore, it's not surprising that some software applications and their developers got caught with their pants down. Those issues should be fixed shortly.

Chucker2012-11-07 15:42:58