VoiceComputer 2017 v2.19 is now available

v2.19 features

’Configure VoiceComputer’ now lets you configure the size, color, background color and transparency of My Intags (Overlays).

An improved ‘File Save Max’ command. This is a Save As command that automatically maximizes Windows Explorer, letting you easily browse through your files and folders. The new version is a vp-script that can be Used as a template to work with any application

New, improved set of alternative commands for the Dictation box. See, "Show Global Commands’, ‘Show Section 9’ Commands include ‘Open Notepad Left’ and ‘Transfer Tab’. The version in this release has several improvements.

An improved and simplified VC Microphone for hands-free computing. Now requires only one command. A new log file makes it easy to configure.

We fixed the problems with the legacy Outlook shortcuts and other commands that some experienced in our release candidate.

A new Intag release v2.19 is also available for download.

This is a free release for VC 2017 users. Just follow the link you received with your purchase.

Upgrades are available on our store for users of prior releases of VoiceComputer.

RonK2017-02-06 10:48:56

The 2.19 release works very smoothly.

I find that the File Save Max command works better and in more applications. I will do some editing for applications that have a nonstandard Save As keyboard shortcut. I will duplicate and edit the command in the XML file and then give it a couple of different names (for different applications).

In order to keep maximum performance on my PC I always disabled a bunch of commands that I didn’t really need, but in this version that appears to be no longer needed as I don’t detect any slowing down with a relatively full command set.

As I said before, the ability to adjust (or remove) the background color of the overlays is a big Plus.

I haven’t yet tested the new Transfer commands but I will soon.

Rob

I downloaded the latest version and I love it. I especially like the alternative dictation box commands. Those are exactly what was needed.

However, I am having a problem with registration. Every time I restart my computer and open the program, it’s pulling up the license from the previous version. I then have to manually paste the license in. I did totally uninstall (I think) the previous version. Where would I find that previous license to delete?

Try:

Close Dragon / VoiceComputer

Rename the
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeach directory

to something like
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeach.bk!

Open VoiceComputer.

You’ll need to activate (also register), but this should be the last time.

Let me know if this works!

Ron,

Unfortunately, it did the same thing. It finds the license from the previous version and lets me know that I need a license from the current version.
Gary,

This happened to me a couple of versions back too.
There is a pretty simple solution:
First, backup any custom commands you have created (if any, but probably not necessary since you have already uninstalled the previous version).
You can find the XML's in this folder:

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom

Probably also not necessary in your case, but to be on the safe side you could also backup the following files which you can find in the folder:

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer

CustomOverlays.xml (only if you have created new overlays)
settings.ini (only if you have backed it up before or changed any settings to the program)
VoiceComputer.license (could be handy if you are planning on installing the previous version again)

Next step:
Uninstall the version currently installed on your computer. After the program has been uninstalled completely, delete the Voiceteach folder in both C:ProgramData and C:Program Files (x86).
Reboot your computer. After rebooting you could additionally (probably not necessary) run a program like CCleaner to clean up unnecessary files and possible obsolete Voiceteach registry entries.

Now you can install the latest VC version and activate the program. You will only have to activate the 2017 version once. Any updates will, as you have already found out, automatically find the current license file.

Rob

Rob,

Many thanks! That fixed it. Evidently, different version copies went into both program files folders. One went in the program files 86 and one went into the regular program files. I deleted voice computer out of both.

I have another question for you as a fellow user of VC. Can you describe the application you are using, "myin tags" for? I know how to use it, but I am simply not sure when I would need to use it. I don't typically have too many off-line forms to complete. Most of the things that I have are online.

Gary,

That is funny that one of the VC installations ended up in Program Files, because typically this is for 64-bit applications, and the VC installation is completely automized.

I am using the my Intags function in several programs, Thunderbird, Band in a Box, CrazyTalk, IClone, CakeWalk Music Creator, MoviePlus X6, Webplus X7, CCleaner, Filmora., Cubase, Studio One… I could go on :wink: the only thing I don’t use it in is office programs (because I don’t use them) and in browsers. I only use Chrome (simply the fastest browser) and the VC Chrome extension actually gives me all I need. I have created one overlay though for one of my online storage webpages.

Simply put: I use the standard Intags for general Windows usage, folders, standard programs and menus, pictures and files and web browsers like IE, Firefox, Edge etc. the Chrome intags are perfect for chrome.
I use Overlays for most of my specialized music creation and animation programs.
For Band in a Box I created three overlays, because the program itself has several windows.

Several elements of this you can see here (general video about VC):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kIEdYh8co

Rob

Chucker2017-02-19 19:26:44

Rob,

Thank you for that overview of how you Use my in tags. I don’t use very many outside programs. Essentially, I am constantly filling in the blanks on Google Chrome. Until today, I never use the, "tags"Feature of voice computer. It seems like that will save me a lot of time.

Rob,

There was a point when VoiceComputer had two versions. The 64-bit version and a 32-bit version. That was before your time. We currently only have one version for both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows and Windows applications, such as Microsoft Office 365 (2016) 64-bit.

That is probably what Gary is referring to.

Chuck,

But the current VC version is 32-bit itself since it's not being installed in program files?
And will there ever be a 64-bit Dragon version, would that mean a boost in performance or wouldn't it make much difference?

Rob,

First, there is no advantage compiling an application as 64-bit unless:

1. The application itself uses or requires access to, for its features and functions, more than 4 GB of RAM. Dragon does not. Neither does VoiceComputer. DPI 15 only uses between 700 and 800 MB of RAM (i.e., BestMatch IV General-Large vocabulary, which is the only option with DPI 15). Previous versions of Dragon use between 800 MB and approximately 1.2 GB (i.e., BestMatch V Medium vs. General Large). Dragon will never use more than that amount of RAM. Therefore, it doesn't make any sense to compile Dragon as a 64-bit application.

2. To handle anything related to 64-bit, including Windows, Dragon provides a dgnuiasvr_x64.exe. This allows Dragon to use any RAM location within the total amount of RAM installed on a given system.

3. Even though Dragon is only a 32-bit application, it does make use of the 64-bit registers (CPU) under Windows 7/8.1/10, which simply means that under Windows 64-bit versions it will load faster.

4. dgnuiasvr_x64.exe also allows Dragon to access and use 64-bit applications, such as Microsoft Office 64-bit versions, as well as other 64-bit applications.

5. At one point we did create the 64-bit version of VoiceComputer, but it was based on support for 64-bit applications and not necessarily a 64-bit application itself. That's why it was stored in Program Files vs. Program Files (x86). We subsequently discovered that was not necessary, so we eliminated such. VoiceComputer is now compiled as a 32-bit application but it supports 32-bit and 64-bit apps, as well as Windows 64-bit versions.

The bottom line is that compiling an application as a 64-bit application is basically useless in most cases.

Chucker2017-02-20 20:29:34

Thanks Chuck, that’s definitely interesting.

Rob