Voice shortcuts lost after upgrade

The instructions for installing the latest version of VoicePower say uninstall the existing version. However this loses all of the shortcuts which I had spent time creating.

Is there a way to preserve shortcuts when installing an upgrade? If so how?
If not, then can this be incorporated in the next version?
Viv

<br>>Is there a way to preserve shortcuts when installing an upgrade?  If so how?</p><p>Yes, say: "Import VoicePower files"<br>(instructions are in the "Backing up and restoring VoicePower files" section in the "Show VoicePower instructions.")</p><p>If you're installing VoicePower on a second computer, use the "Export VoicePower files" command on the first computer, move the backup to the second computer and then issue the "Import VoicePower files" command.</p><p>Note: There may be a problem with the "Import VoicePower Files" on the new release caused by the new enable/disable options. We will be testing this. If we find a problem, we'll release an update within a couple of days.<br></p>

Ron,
Thanks for answering my query so quickly. I must explore the documentation more thoroughly.

I have installed VoicePower on my laptop and the upgrade on my main computer but I see that the number of available activations goes down by one each time. This means that if I install the upgrade on my laptop, and then if there is another update in a few days and I install that on both computers then I will only have one activation left for any updates in the next 11 months. Am I doing something wrong?
Viv
<div> </div><div>When you install an update you won't need to reactivate. But, if something goes wrong, just request more activations.</div><div> </div><div> </div>

Thanks again Ron.

Viv

Thanks Chuck,

That is very helpful.
Viv

I followed the instructions after installing the latest version of VoiceComputer but the shortcuts will not load. When it gets to the stage where I choose the folder containing the shortcuts and select it the folder name does not get pasted into the folder box, and typing it in makes no difference.

The backup which I created is in C:UsersVivDesktopvoicepower bk!VP backup files and this contains ‘settings.ini’, as does C:UsersVivDocumentsVoiceComputer.bk1.
In both cases the program does not seem to be able to identify that the settings.ini file is in that folder.
I tried the option to use the backup of the shortcuts which I created before uninstalling the previous version of VoiceComputer and also the automatic backup made by the program. Neither option will allow me to import the shortcuts.
Advice needed please.
Viv
Sorry, I forgot to add that I am still running DNS 11.5 Premium on Win7 Pro 64 bit.

k00651262012-08-25 03:25:32

[QUOTE=k0065126] I followed the instructions after installing the latest version of VoiceComputer but the shortcuts will not load. When it gets to the stage where I choose the folder containing the shortcuts and select it the folder name does not get pasted into the folder box, and typing it in makes no difference. [/QUOTE]

Viv,

You may be getting confused by the following dialog:

You do not need to add anything in the Folder: text box. All you need to do is to identify the appropriate automatic backup folder as in my case shown above. Then click OK and VoiceComputer should find your VoiceShortcuts. If you enter anything in the folder text box, then it won't work correctly. Leave that text box blank when you're using the procedure that I described in my previous post.

Your version of Windows is basically irrelevant in terms of this particular procedure and it doesn't matter whether you're using VoiceComputer 32-bit or VoiceComputer 64-bit. The procedure is the same. The only difference between Windows XP and Windows 7 is the location of your automatic backup files.

In addition, when checking the dates on your automatic backup files, take a look at the settings.ini file. Make sure that there is a list of VoiceShortcuts under the [runtime] header. If there is no listing of VoiceShortcuts underneath this header, then that particular automatic backup contains no VoiceShortcuts and they will not be imported because they don't exist in that settings.ini file.

Let me know if you continue to have problems.

Thanks Chuck,

You are right, it did confuse me, but now I know.
Viv