VC its interaction with other voice programs

Set up:
– Dragon version 15
– SpeechStart+
– Knowbrainer 2017
– VoiceComputer

Okay, so I know that Dragon does not support Citrix. Got it. That said, my employer uses Citrix and to access email, I'm going through a Citrix window. When the first 3 programs listed above are active, I am able to use some navigational commands like "delete" and "go up one" and it seems to work in Outlook within Citrix. When I start VoiceComputer, I have to do things like say “press delete" instead of simply saying "delete'. Can I change this somewhere in VoiceComputer's settings?

Also, it seems like VoiceComputer is overriding some navigational commands that I have gotten used to. For instance when VoiceComputer is not running, I can say "display 2 maximize", and this will move my current window to monitor 2 and maximize it. This command does not work when VoiceComputer is running. I realize that VoiceComputer has its own commands for moving windows around, but it would be nice if they were additive and didn't replace commands that I already know. Again, is there a setting I can change?

Thanks in advance!

John,

> Okay, so I know that Dragon does not support Citrix.

First, VoiceComputer’s My Intag feature (Overlays) can do quite a nice job giving you access to Citrix applications.
We have users who have built a dozen or more overlays to control quite complex databases through Citrix.

Second, I understand that Dragon Enterprise can be installed on a Citrix server. If you can do this, you can also install VoiceComputer on the server to give you extremely good control.

Third, we support Dragon, we cannot support other third party applications in addition to VoiceComputer.

Some users successfully use KnowBrainer with VoiceComputer but SpeechStart+ would be a non-starter. VoiceComputer has Intags and it has a lot of position commands and more can easily be created.
VoiceComputer 2018, which we’re just introducing, provides even more desktop control commands.
And, for the record, we patented our desktop control commands back in 2003 or so.

Start Dragon and VoiceComputer and then try some of your KB commands. We can always help you translate your KB commands into Dragon commands. With luck, we’ll have an even better option in a couple of months.

>> First, VoiceComputer's My Intag feature (Overlays) can do quite a nice job giving you access to Citrix applications. We have users who have built a dozen or more overlays to control quite complex databases through Citrix.

I was thinking of experimenting with this to see if it could work with Microsoft Outlook within Citrix. I have found that speaking the keyboard equivalents works fairly well.

>> Second, I understand that Dragon Enterprise can be installed on a Citrix server. If you can do this, you can also install VoiceComputer on the server to give you extremely good control.

Unfortunately, not an option for me.

>> Third, we support Dragon, we cannot support other third party applications in addition to VoiceComputer.

>> Some users successfully use KnowBrainer with VoiceComputer but SpeechStart+ would be a non-starter. VoiceComputer has Intags and it has a lot of position commands and more can easily be created. VoiceComputer 2018, which we're just introducing, provides even more desktop control commands.

Fair enough. I can try experimenting with running VoiceComputer instead of SpeechStart+ (although I do like the microphone on feature in SpeechStart+)

John,

As good as SpeechStart+â„¢ is, it really doesn't hold a candle to the VC microphone. The reason for this is simply because SpeechStart+â„¢ contains too much bloat. Since we separate out the VC microphone and don't require any training, it's simpler and easier to use.

Note that the VC microphone has the same capability to turn the microphone on and off as SpeechStart+â„¢.

The InTags and My InTags features in VoiceComputer are more comprehensive than those in SpeechStart+â„¢. For example, VoiceComputer's Chrome extension is capable of numbering links in Google Chrome, whereas SpeechStart+â„¢ can't. SpeechStart+â„¢ can only number the "menubar" in Google Chrome.

VoiceComputer's InTags allows you to manipulate and select emails in the Outlook inbox, whereas SpeechStart+â„¢ does not have this capability. Note that we separate the InTags features from the VC microphone to avoid the kinds of issues and complications that can arise from using SpeechStart+â„¢. Also, trying to use both the VC microphone and SpeechStart+â„¢ will create conflicts. Use one or the other, but once you get used to the VC microphone you'll find that it works much better. Never use both.

Lastly, you will run into a number of conflicts when attempting to use KnowBrainer and VoiceComputer together. For example, if you launch KnowBrainer, which automatically launches Dragon, and then you launch VoiceComputer, the KnowBrainer commands will take precedence. In this case, VoiceComputer's InTags and My InTags will not work. You will get KnowBrainer's "DISPLAY numbers", which are generally not very efficient. On the other hand, if you launch VoiceComputer, which also launches Dragon in the same way as KnowBrainer does, then the VoiceComputer commands will take precedence over the KnowBrainer commands.

Trying to mix-and-match KnowBrainer and VoiceComputer is ill advised simply because you will create more problems than you'll solve. In short, use one or the other, but not both simultaneously. If you simply must use both, which we do not recommend, then launch VoiceComputer first and then open KnowBrainer. Still, the best approach is using one or the other, but not both simultaneously.

Chucker2017-09-07 07:56:52
Thanks Chucker,

I've been experimenting using VoiceComputer by itself, but am having some fundamental navigational issues with VoiceComputer. I suspect part of the problem is that screen one is in portrait mode (1440 X 2560) and screens two and three are in landscape mode (2560 X 1440). I have set VoiceComputer up for three monitors, but I'm struggling to get VoiceComputer to place focus on screen one. Also, the intags seem to be confused by portrait mode. For instance, if I move a Google Chrome window to a landscape monitor, the intags show up where I would expect them. If I move that same window to the portrait monitor, they are not where I expect them.

But even on the other monitors, the basic window positioning commands don't all seem to work. Place window left or right or make window narrower or bigger work, but place window upper left or right doesn't work, nor does place window screen left or right.

I imagine this stuff is incredibly difficult to diagnose over a forum, but thought I would send the feedback in case it's at all helpful.

Best, John

John,

Thank you for the feedback. We have never tested the multiple monitor settings in VoiceComputer relative to a monitor set up in "portrait" display mode.

Unfortunately, we are not in a position to test this at the present time, but I'm not surprised that this can be a problem. We'll try to do our best to take a look at it, but setting a monitor up in "portrait" mode is unusual relative to the average user who is using VoiceComputer with multiple monitors.We've never given that much thought because no one ever asked or noted a problem with such in the past.

As regards "place window upper left | right | lower left | lower right", we eliminated these some time ago as being, for the most part, impractical. "Place window screen left or right" is not a command. I would ask you what it is that you're trying to do via that command? If you're trying to place a window on any specific monitor, the command would be "place window on monitor | screen #" where #= the number of the monitor to which you want to move the window (place the window).

Chucker2017-09-09 07:13:32

Chucker,

What I was trying to do was learn the language, and I saw the upper left/right/ etc. as well as the place window screen left/right in a VC doc titled “Positioning Windows Exercise.” What I need most is the ability to move windows from one screen to another and the “place window on screen #” command was also giving mixed results (as was “place focus on screen #”). Maybe all are stymied by portrait mode. For the most part I run one program per screen, maximized, but occasionally I might have smaller programs (e.g., notepad, calculator, etc.) open on the same screen so was experimenting with that as a way of arranging them.

I just started running one monitor in portrait mode recently, and was surprised how much I like it. Very nice for reviewing PDFs of letter/legal size paper (tax returns, estate planning docs, etc.) as well as my company’s implementation of SalesForce which has screens that seemingly scroll down forever.

John