User Profile

All of a sudden, the user profile that I usually used stopped working. I am getting someone to type this message for me. The error message that Dragon displays is “Dragon has encountered an error and may become unstable. Please save your work - close Dragon by choosing PROFILE, CLOSE Dragon bar and restart Dragon.” I wasn’t really able to follow those instructions (choosing PROFILE, CLOSE Dragon bar and restart Dragon). I did reboot the computer several times but it didn’t help. I ended up making a new profile called “Nanb”. That works for everything except gmail. I am able to use the “dictation box” to send messages. When I fill out the first two fields I have to say “press” and then use the alpha bravo commands to spell out what I need to fill in.

1. Can you tell me specifically how to restore the “Nancy b” profile?
2. Do you have any idea what is wrong with gmail? I had wondered if it was related to my profile change, but when i searched through its (gmail) menus I couldn’t recognize anything that sounded like it related to profiles.
  1. Your previous user profile is corrupted and it’s not worth trying to get it back.
    2. Are you using Chrome for Gmail. If you are the Dragon Web Extension might have been disabled.
    Go to the Chrome menu > more tools > extensions and enable the extension.

I am using Windows 7, so things are a little different than you described. I found my way to the chrome settings. I saw that the Dragon Web extension is checked enabled.

I also saw two other boxes that were not checked. They were 1. “Allow in incognito” and 2. "Allow access to file URLs"

I have no idea if these boxes are relevant or not. I am relying on your judgment.Thanks for your patience! NancyB

The other two boxes shouldn’t be checked.

Since the Dragon Web extension is checked enabled, I don’t know what the problem is.

Chuck?

Do you think if I temporarily turned off the dictation box I would be able to use email? If I could figure out how to do that, I’d like to try it. That way I could use the dictation box whenever I needed it. I also looked through the tools menu and I think I have enabled Gmail. Maybe I could try unchecking that to see if it makes any difference. I feel like I need to try miscellaneous things one at a time to see if there are any changes. Please let me know how I can disable the dictation box. I don’t know where it is located. NancyB

Do you think if I temporarily turned off the dictation box I would be able to use email?

Don’t think so but you can disable the dictation box by going to the Tools menu on the DragonBar

Then Options > Miscellaneous

Uncheck “Use Dictation Box for unsupported applications”, select OK and try it.

Chuck is out today. He should be able to offer some help tomorrow.

When I went to the miscellaneous page of tools menu, the dictation box was not checked. That is really funny because I have been using it ever since I learned you needed it to post a reply on this forum. I did go ahead and check the box and then tried to compose an email. It did not work. I went back to the miscellaneous page of the tools menu and and unchecked the dictation box. For some reason I am able to type directly in this message box without using the dictation box. I can still say the command “show dictation box” and it will appear. I guess there’s some kind of glitch in the software. I have no complaints. It is really much easier for me to write directly on this message to post my reply.

I am still really confused about Gmail.
Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall Gmail to see if that would fix the problem?
NancyB

I was not able to write directly on the forum message sheet. I am using that dictation box to post a comment. I went to the “tools”-“commands” to unchecked the box for email and calendar commands just to see if it might make a difference. It did not. I am still unable to write directly to my Gmail. Does this have something to do with Overlook? Am I supposed be using that program? Am I supposed to use another program that will connect Gmail to Overlook? I forget the names of these programs, it seems like they were only two or three letters long.I am very confused! NancyB

Nancy,

<p>Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.</p>

<p>First, DPI 14 does not support Full Text Control (Select-and-Say) (i.e., dictating directly into the VoiceComputer forum MessageBox. It may work on occasion, but generally it doesn't.</p>

<p>Second, as regards Gmail and dictating directly into a new email, this is a Dragon problem and has nothing to do with VoiceComputer. Since we do not know what you are referring to as far as Overlook, I can't really answer your question. If you're talking about Microsoft Outlook, there is a way to download and respond to your Gmail account in Microsoft Outlook. However, you need to be able to tell us exactly to what you referring. If you are referring to Microsoft Outlook, setting Outlook up to download and allow you to communicate through your Gmail account is tricky and requires someone with technical expertise in that regard.</p>

<p>Nonetheless, the only thing that may interfere with your dictating directly into Gmail is dependent upon which browser you're using. For example, if you're using Google Chrome, then you must be sure that the most current Dragon Web Extension is installed. The most current version is<font face="Arial"> Dragon Web Extension 14.0.0.222. Also, Google Chrome must be up-to-date. If the Dragon Web Extension is 14.0.0.180 on your system (Google Chrome), then you will not be able to dictate directly into Gmail. We may be able to help you with this, but we need more specific information in order to do so.</font></p><font face="Arial">

</font><p>Lastly, if you're using the Dragon Dictation Box, then you need to have someone help you click on the little gear/wheel to the left of the "?" in the Dictation Box and make sure that the two checkboxes at the bottom are checked. Once you do that, anything that you dictate into the dictation box will be preserved in the Windows clipboard if you should say transfer and it doesn't. All you have to do it that point is to go to the VoiceComputer message box and say "paste that". Whatever you have dictated into the dictation box will then be pasted into the MessageBox. In short, having the settings as explained above will prevent you from losing anything you dictate into the Dictation Box.</p>

<p>Don't bother trying to uninstall and reinstall Gmail as that is not the problem. What I need to know before going forward is are you using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Firefox for your browser. Once I know that I can help you correct the problem, I can likely help you fix the problem. Regardless, I need you to be clear on terms and names of applications that you're using and browsers.</p>

Filename: zzzzzz

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">1.  <b>What is DPI</b> <b>14?</b>  <b>Dots
per inch?</b><o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">2.  <b>I was referring to Microsoft Outlook.</b>  <b>It
really sounds like too much</b> <b>of a
hassle to try to use Microsoft Outlook</b>.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">3.  "The most current version is
Dragon Web Extension is 14.0.0.222".
<b>I found it!  I am using the current version, 14.0.0222.  There are 2 boxes that are checked.  “Developer mode” and “enabled”.  There are 2 boxes <u>that are not checked</u>.  They are “allow in incognito” and “Allow
access to file URLs”<o:p></o:p></b></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><b><u><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:  Calibri;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">IS THIS CORRECT</span></u></b><b><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">?<o:p></o:p></span></b></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">4.  "If the Dragon Web Extension
14.0.0.180 on your system (Google Chrome) then you will not be able to dictate
directly into Gmail.  We may be able to
help you with this, but we need more specific information in order to do
so."  <b>N/A</b><o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:  normal;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-font-family:  Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:EN">5.  “Lastly, if you’re using the Dragon Dictation
Box, then you need to have someone help you click on the little gear/wheel to
the left of the “?” in the Dictation Box and make sure that the two checkboxes at
the bottom are checked.” <b> The</b> <b>2nd
to last box from the little gear on the</b> <b>dictation box says "show character</b> <b>count" this box is not</b> <b>checked.</b>  <b>The
last box "keep transferred text</b> <b>on
clipboard when the</b> <b>dictation box is
closed" is</b> <b>checked</b>.  <b>Thank
you for making me aware of this.  See
also #7<o:p></o:p></b></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:  normal;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><b><span style="font-size:16.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:8.5pt;mso-ascii-font-family:  Calibri;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:"MS Sans Serif""> </span></b></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">6.  <b>I am using Google Chrome as my browser.</b><o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">7.  <b>I have learned the hard way that you must have your</b> <b>cursor on the place that you want the text
you write</b> <b>into the dictation box to
be transferred to</b>.  <b>In</b> <b>other
words,</b> <b>if you don't have your cursor
where you want the text to be located,</b> <b>it
just disappears when you transfer it.</b>
<b>Now I know it will be in my clipboard</b>.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:  EN">8.<b>
My user profile has crashed once again.
I restored it with the 2<sup>nd</sup> to oldest profile I had to choose
from.  Do you have any ideas about why
this keeps happening?<o:p></o:p></b></span></p>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:  none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><b><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;  line-height:115%;mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;  mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:EN">Please answer questions #1, 3,
and 8.  I would welcome any comments you
have time to make.  I hope this all fits in
the Dictation Box.  <o:p></o:p></span></b></p>

<b><span lang="EN" style="font-size:16.0pt;  mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";  mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;  mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;mso-ansi-:EN;mso-fareast-:EN-US;  mso-bidi-:AR-SA">Thank you :-) NancyB</span></b>

Nancy,

1. What is DPI 14? Dots per inch?

One of the problems with doing support is ensuring that everybody is on the same page. DPI 14 stands for Dragon Professional Individual 14. We just abbreviate it, which makes it easier to say and is what is commonly used on the forums.

2. I was referring to Microsoft Outlook. It really sounds like too much of a hassle to try to use Microsoft Outlook.

If you don't have Microsoft Outlook, don't bother buying it. If you do, I wouldn't bother installing it because even though it is fully Dragon friendly (i.e., supports Full Text Control (Select-and-Say)), it's not worth the time and trouble to try to learn it, particularly in your case.

3. "The most current version is Dragon Web Extension is 14.0.0.222". I found it! I am using the current version, 14.0.0222. There are 2 boxes that are checked. "Developer mode" and "enabled". There are 2 boxes that are not checked. They are "allow in incognito" and "Allow access to file URLs"

IS THIS CORRECT?

You have the correct Dragon Web Extension for Google Chrome. The two checkboxes to which you refer should not be checked. As is, you have it correctly.

4. "If the Dragon Web Extension 14.0.0.180 on your system (Google Chrome) then you will not be able to dictate directly into Gmail. We may be able to help you with this, but we need more specific information in order to do so." N/A

5. "Lastly, if you’re using the Dragon Dictation Box, then you need to have someone help you click on the little gear/wheel to the left of the "?" in the Dictation Box and make sure that the two checkboxes at the bottom are checked." The 2nd to last box from the little gear on the dictation box says "show character count" this box is not checked. The last box "keep transferred text on clipboard when the dictation box is closed" is checked. Thank you for making me aware of this. See also #7

6. I am using Google Chrome as my browser.

7. I have learned the hard way that you must have your cursor on the place that you want the text you write into the dictation box to be transferred to. In other words, if you don't have your cursor where you want the text to be located, it just disappears when you transfer it. Now I know it will be in my clipboard.

This is one of the things you have to always remember.

8. My user profile has crashed once again. I restored it with the second to oldest profile I had to choose from. You have any ideas about why this is happening?

Using the word "crash" is pretty much meaningless. You need to be clear on what you mean by describing exactly what happens or telling us the exact error message that you're getting. There are many reasons why this happens, but without clarity we can't pin it down to any one specific cause and there are several. One of the most common causes is shutting down the system without correctly going through the VoiceComputer Control Center. Keep in mind that Dragon rights to its collection of files when shutting down. If you don't given enough time via using the VoiceComputer Control Center, you run the risk of corrupting your user profile. Be careful and make sure that you shutdown VoiceComputer and Dragon correctly, as well as shutting down your system correctly through the

Please answer questions #1, 3, and 8. I would welcome any comments you have time to make. I hope this all fits in the Dictation Box.

Chucker2016-05-22 18:52:47

I have been driving myself CRAZY trying to get onto the voice computer forum. I’m not sure what’s wrong with the software, but there is SOMETHING is wrong!

My questions:

1. A message similar to this “Failed to save start up database” flashes quickly on the lower right corner of my screen. I am not positive that this is the exact wording because the message disappears so quickly. I have a feeling this message might be a clue to my problems

2a. Once I shut down the computer, the latest user profile stops working correctly when I restart the computer. I can ask the cursor to move, which it does, but once it is in motion you cannot change its direction or get it to click when you say “click”. You have to wait until it is at the edge of the screen where it stops, then you can use mouse grid to reposition it. When I forget and accidentally shut down the computer, my solution to this has been just to create another profile. I need to remember at night not to shut down the computer. I always thought the computer needed a rest. If I just put the computer to sleep I can avoid the problem. 2b. Is closing the computer screen down (I have a laptop) the same as putting it to sleep? I would prefer to shut the computer down every night (so the electronics can rest), and not have to go through all the steps it takes to make a new profile when I turned the computer back on the next day. 2c. Is it better to turn off the computer or just put it to sleep?

3. I have many different user profiles, should I delete all except the one I currently use?

4. Will any profile be able to write on files that have been created by a different profile?

5. I have created a lot of “user commands” with different profiles. I think I have to delete all of these and re-create them with the profile I will be using all the time. I guess I shouldn’t do this until I get my user profile problem solved. Am I correct in my thinking?

Personal computers were not really around until after I graduated from college. I am a mechanical engineer that graduated in 1986. I am really a dinosaur when it comes to figuring out all this stuff. I appreciate all your help.

Thank you so much!

RonK2016-06-03 11:39:19

driving myself CRAZY trying to get onto the voice computer forum.

not sure what’s going on, I can log into the forum with your credentials.

1. when you get this error?

2. Turn off the Dragon mouse commands and just use the VoiceComputer mouse commands.
>2b. Is closing the computer screen down (I have a laptop) the same as putting it to sleep?
no.
>2c. Is it better to turn off the computer or just put it to sleep?
I think it’s best to turn off the computer once a day.

You should first try to solve your user profile problem before you start deleting profiles that have used commands.
User profile problems like what you’re having are usually caused by logging into your computer with administrative user and a second user with normal privileges.
Try doing a repair install of Dragon.