traceback on shutdown

I get this traceback when shutting down VoiceComputer in Chrome browser:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w9lt725xuzfvrc/VC_shutdown.png?dl=0

Windows7 SP1
Voice Computer 13.56.1
<span style=‘line-height: normal; font-family: “Segoe UI”, Tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; -webkit-padding-end: 20px;’ =“extension-title”="">Dragon Web Extension <span style=‘line-height: normal; font-family: “Segoe UI”, Tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; -webkit-padding-end: 7px;’ =“extension-version”="">13.0.0.94
<span style=‘line-height: normal; font-family: “Segoe UI”, Tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; -webkit-padding-end: 7px;’ =“extension-version”=""><span style=“font-size: 14px; -webkit-padding-end: 20px;” =“extension-title”="">Intag Chrome Extension <span style="-webkit-padding-end: 7px;" =“extension-version”="">0.6.21

Chucker2015-03-01 00:04:53

Paul,

I sent the link to Ron to take a look at. However, what exactly were you attempting to do. I see the error, but it would be most helpful if you would give me a step-by-step as to exactly what you did.

<edited><editID>Chucker</editID><editDate>2015-02-26 08:26:33</editDate></edited>

I simply was shutting down VoiceComputer (which also shuts down Dragon) via the VoiceComputer dialog Shutdown button. (It was inaccurate when I wrote above that I was shutting it down in Chrome browser. All I meant was that when done working with the Chrome browser with it still being up, I then attempted to shutdown VoiceComputer.)

(Also this forum no longer automatically notifies me via email, even though it used to, and the settings are still the same.)
<edited><editID>pdavidow</editID><editDate>2015-02-26 16:41:38</editDate></edited>

It’s a permissions problem with VC’s data files under ProgramData.

None of the following should make any difference, but did you switch Dragon users or log in with a different computer user?
Are you using UAC?
Have the errors continued with every restart of VoiceComputer?
What configuration changes did you recently make?

Please check the permissions for C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer directory by right clicking on the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer folder > properties > Sharing > Share. Everyone should have Read/Write access. If not, change the setting.

As per your directions, I changed the ‘Share’ feature in (Windows7) folder properties for “C:Program FilesVoiceTeachVoiceComputer” from None to Share (for 20), but this did not fix the problem. Anyway, it’s really not a big deal: The Voice apps can be left up and the mike simply switched off, and then the whole computer just shut down as usual.

To answer your questions:

1)
Q: Did you switch Dragon users or log in with a different computer user?
A: Yes. There are two Windows profiles on the same computer – with a dedicated Dragon profile for each.

2)
Q: Are you using UAC?
A: Yes. It is set at Default.

3)
Q: Have the errors continued with every restart of VoiceComputer?
A: Yes – for both Windows profiles

4)
Q: What configuration changes did you recently make?
A: None (to my knowledge)
> I changed the 'Share' feature in (Windows7) folder properties for "C:Program
> FilesVoiceTeachVoiceComputer" from None to Share (for 20), but this did not fix the problem.

My instructions weren't clear enough

right click on the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer folder > properties > Sharing > Share.
add 'Everyone' from the drop down list and then click on Everyone and give Everyone Read/Write permissions.
If Everyone already has Read/Write permissions, then this won't help.

This is important. Please let me know!

Changing the Share Permissions (Windows7: Advanced Settings, Permissions) to Read/Write for everyone did NOT help.

Both of the Windows users were established as Admin (prior to installing voice stuff), so I thought that was the problem and hence switched one Windows user to regulat (non-admin). I rebooted, but still bet traceback.

Shut down Dragon and VoiceComputer

rename C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer
to
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer.bk1

Open VoiceComputer. You might have to reactivate.

The error will go away.

However, it may reappear when you make some configuration changes.

Let me know if it does, and we'll have to log into your computer to figure this out.

The rename fix did not help. I also made sure to do the sharing again after the rename, and I rebooted.

I get this traceback:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzqpxb5wizr47f6/VC_traceback2.PNG?dl=0

Chucker2015-02-28 23:31:42
Please confirm that you're using Windows 7 32 bit.

You're have a read/write problem that was in release 13.56 which we saw and corrected within a couple of hours with 13.56.1.

VoiceComputer makes configuration changes, it reads and writes files to the directories under
C;ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer

>I also made sure to do the sharing again after the rename

Did you have to change the sharing? Didn't 'Everyone' have read/write access?
(
our default setting)

If not, make certain that you're using 13.56.1 (Say, 'Show VoiceComputer version")

Check the directories under

C;ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer

check
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommands
and
C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom
'Everyone' should have read/write access to these directories. This is our default setting.

If not, change the settings so that 'Everyone' has read/write access and LET ME KNOW!

VoiceComputer should have the correct permissions to delete and write files to these directories and the problem should go away.

If not, delete a file in C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom and then undo the deletion. Are you able to do this?

<edited><editID>RonK</editID><editDate>2015-03-01 09:57:08</editDate></edited>
Problem Solved!

"C:ProgramData" is a "hidden" directory and was not showing up for me. Hence, I was erroneously making all changes in "C:Program Files" -- as I actually indicated above ('As per your directions, I changed the 'Share' feature in (Windows7) folder properties for "C:Program FilesVoiceTeachVoiceComputer"'). I simply assumed you had a typo, "Data" instead of "Files", or else were giving me Windows8 instructions or something.

But to your insistence on "C:ProgramData" -- which for me was not showing up, I finally did a system search for it and voila, it showed up. I then googled "can not find C:ProgramData" to solve the mystery.

So then I simply shared under "C:ProgramData" (as per instructions above), and made sure to undo the renaming and sharing under "C:Program Files" -- and Problem Solved!

And yes, I'm on Windows7 Pro SP1, 32bit.
Great news!

Appreciate your patience.

This explains everything. You had previously installed 13.56. This didn't give the correct read/write permissions to C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer. So, when you installed 13.56.1, it didn't delete these directories, keeping the incorrect permissions.

Only users who installed 13.56 had this problem. Fortunately, only a few users installed 13.56 before I updated it to 13.56.1 since it was only available for a few hours.