Tips and Tricks using DNS 13

A couple of users have brought some things to my attention that may be of value to VoiceComputer users who are using DNS 13.

The first thing that was brought to my attention, and I have seen it myself a couple of times, is that there are times, when using the new DragonBar, that an application window can overshadow (force to the background) the new DragonBar. Since it can’t be seen, one user asked how to get it to the front, or, more simply, forced the DragonBar to the foreground.

There are any number of ways of doing this, but one of the simplest, and hands-free, methods is to simply make sure that the microphone is on and say “switch to DragonBar”. This will force the new DragonBar to the foreground, or in front of the application that is covering it up.

While there are certain conditions where it may not stay there, requiring other approaches, this will always bring it back to the foreground at least for the time being and do so hands-free by voice command.

The second issue has to do with a user who asked how to get Dragon to insert a comma when dictating four digit numbers. The basic complaint was why doesn’t Dragon do this automatically. The answer to that question is simply if Dragon were to do this automatically it would wreak havoc with things such as dates (the year in the date). For example, you wouldn’t want Dragon to automatically display dates as “March 8, 2,015”. In addition, there are many situations where you wouldn’t wanted to automatically put the comma into four digit numbers. In short, the necessity for doing so is generally the exception rather than the rule.

You can spin your wheels and waste time trying to create an Advanced Scripting command, which would require you to pause, issue the command, and then continue dictating. That being said, there is a very simple way of dealing with this, which was made more effective in terms of the way that DNS 13 formats the properties for words like comma. Take a look at the following screen capture.

This is one of the reasons why Nuance separated and renamed the Use alternate Written form 1 and created two distinctly different options: (a) one for “Printed form” under “Default formatting”, and (b) one for “Use printed form 1 & 2”, which are only used for the purpose of dealing with before, within, or after numbers. This capability makes it much easier to select when you want to dictate a four digit number with or without a comma.

Using this approach allows you to dictate four digit numbers without a comma as a normal function and when you want to dictate a four digit number with a comma without having to pause before issuing a command.

If you look carefully at the screen capture above and follow the instructions, the only thing that you have to change in terms of the way that you dictate four digit numbers after setting up those options is to remember to dictate four digit numbers one did you have the time.

For example, using the above setting(s) in the Properties for comma (,), you would dictate straight four digit numbers without the comma by simply dictating the number:

“fifty one hundred”, “seventy four sixty five”, or "nine thousand two hundred and forty five"

In which case you would get 5100, 7465, or 9240 without commas.

On the other hand, if you want the commas inserted in such numbers with the above settings in the screen capture as shown, you would simply dictate four digit numbers as follows:

“five comma one hundred”, “seven comma four sixty five”, or "nine comma two forty"

This would give you 5,100, 7,465, 9,240.

Simplest solution with the least amount of effort and maximum amount of flexibility without sacrificing the use of comma as punctuation under normal conditions while giving you the capability of dictating four digit numbers with a comma, as well as not requiring you to pause (i.e., using a command requiring you to pause before and after).

Try it. You’ll find that it works quite well.

Note: If you use this approach, it works for both Premium and any of the Professional versions without requiring Advanced Scripting. You can spin your wheels and waste days trying to create an Advanced Script, and even then it may not work reliably. Using this approach works reliably 100% of the time.

<edited><editID>Chucker</editID><editDate>2015-05-11 08:25:22</editDate></edited>

To all,

I found the problem with the above tip regarding inserting a comma when dictating four digit numbers.

If you note in the screen capture I selected “after numbers”. In some cases this produces an error when placing a comma after a number. That is, if you dictate something like 13.56.2 and then place a comma after that number, there will be no following space after the comma.

To correct this, change the option to “between numbers” because this is the only time that you want no spacing before or after the comma.

Sorry about that, but the change will fix the problem.
Chucker2015-04-04 05:54:37

To all,

Here is another tip.

The other day while testing I ran into a problem whereby attempting to “show main menu”, the screen came up flash and then minimized to the taskbar. I couldn’t open it and I could only close that entry on the taskbar (Windows).

This came about as a result of doing some registry editing and a few other maintenance tasks. I’m not sure why it occurred because I couldn’t pin it down to one specific changes or set of changes that I made.

However, if this ever happens to anyone, the underlying reason, not the cause, is that, for whatever reason, the VoiceComputer profile (VoiceComputer folder in ProgramData) somehow became corrupted. The way that I fixed this was to rename the VoiceComputer folder to VoiceComputer.bk# and then relaunching VoiceComputer, which will create a new VoiceComputer folder. Then just reconfigure VoiceComputer and the problem will be resolved.

It’s important to note that it is highly unlikely that you will run into this problem, but I put it up here because I did and this is the solution. I’ve also run into this in the past with regard to the Dragon Command Browser, even though the solution to that problem is slightly different.

Hey all,

Here’s another tip for those who are working in DNS 13 and using the new DragonBar.

Sometimes when opening up an application window the new DragonBar may not automatically come to the front. That is, it will be hidden behind the application window.

The simple solution to this problem is:

1. Say “switch to DragonBar”. This will put the new DragonBar back on top of your application window.
2. Because the focus is now in the new DragonBar, simply switch the focus back to your application window.

This will solve the problem when it occurs. However, you may have applications where this occurs on a regular basis as you open and begin working in such. Simply repeat the process above to get your DragonBar to display in the forefront over top of your application window.

Viv et al.,

You put a post on the KnowBrainer forum addressing the issue of getting “(a)” etc. displayed via voice command.

What was lacking in your post is that, with VoiceComputer, you don’t need to do what you did.

Simply say “show punctuation commands” in VoiceComputer and scroll to the bottom. We have an entire set of punctuation commands already available in VoiceComputer that doesn’t require you to do what you did.

I post this for the benefit of everyone using VoiceComputer simply because these punctuation commands have been around for a long time and don’t require you to wrap your leg around your neck.

Thanks Chuck,

I will try to remember that.

Viv