three incorrectly recognized as up three

When I am editing a text box in a program such as WordPad, Outlook, or even
editing this post, when I say “three” it gets recognized as “up three” and instead of the word “three” appearing onscreen, my cursor is moved up three lines. The same thing happens for other small numbers. This does not happen when I use Dragon but don’t have voice computer activated.

How can I eliminate this behavior?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(I am running voice computer 14 under Windows 7.)

You can say, “Press 3”, “Type 3” or “Numeral 3”.

You could put Dragon in spell mode when you’re issuing a lot of individual numbers.

And you can say “Spell 3” if you uncheck “Spell commands bring up Spelling Window” in Tools > Options.

Creating a new user profile should get rid of the problem.

You might try the “Train Word” command and train “3” and “up 3”.

You could delete the up command from the VoiceComputer xml commands but you’d have to delete the command with each new release of VoiceComputer.

Thanks, Ron. I will try your “retrain” and “delete up from xml” suggestions. (The other suggestions won’t work for me because I need to use the english word “for” frequently, and it gets consistently misrecognized as “up four”!)

Adam,

First, it’s important to understand how Dragon and VoiceComputer work. Dragon doesn’t understand what words mean, nor does it understand what you meant to say. Dragon has to “guess”, and it guesses by using the context of what you say. So, if you’re going to dictate in individual words, you’re going to create problems because Dragon will sometimes confuse dictation with commands. This is primarily because it searches for commands first. This is why it pauses 250 ms (Dragon Options | Commands tab | Pause required before commands). Unless your user profile is extremely accurate (99.5% to 99.9%), individual words are very likely to be interpreted as commands because custom commands (i.e., Advanced Scripting, KnowBrainer, VoiceComputer, Vocola, etc.) take precedence over Natural Language Commands, and commands generally have a higher priority than dictation, particularly when it comes to dictating individual words.

Keep the following in mind:

1. Deleting VoiceComputer commands from the associated XML files is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot. You may solve one problem, but eventually it will be substituted with another. In essence, you end up deleting command after command and still have the problem depending upon the specific situation and what it is specifically that you’re trying to dictate. VoiceComputer commands are very useful and very powerful, but you can avoid this problem by using a couple of simple techniques.
2. If you need to dictate an individual words such as “three” and you’re getting “up three” instead, then the problem is accuracy. If you have the Dragon formatting set to “Numbers greater than or equal to – 10”, then dictating the individual numbers one through nine should come up as spelled out. If they don’t, then the problem is with your profile accuracy. This can be caused by microphone issues or simply not properly correcting misrecognitions. This can also happen if you select the default vocabulary for Dragon as “Medium” vs. “General-Large”. The Medium vocabulary as the exact same vocabulary as the General-Large vocabulary, the difference is that the General-Large vocabulary has a significantly larger Language Model (context set).
3. If you don’t want the number “three” Miss recognized as the command “up three”, there are a couple of tips that you can use to prevent this. For example, you can precede the number “three” with one of the Dictation Commands (Vocabulary commands), such as “no space three”, or, if you don’t want to remove the space before the number “three”, then say “no caps three”. This will force Dragon to treated as dictation vs. a command.

There are a lot of tips and tricks that you can use to force Dragon to recognize what you say as dictation vs. commands. Nevertheless, remember that commands have a higher priority than dictation.

The same applies to “for” vs. “up four”. Just remember that Dragon is basically stupid. That doesn’t mean it’s dumb, it simply means that Dragon is like a child and it has to be coddled. So, if you can’t dictate in a larger context (i.e., avoiding dictating single words), then don’t delete VoiceComputer’s commands, use the techniques that work best with Dragon as noted above.