The numbers 1 to 4

I am a heavy dictator, and I dictate my business/legal text thoughtfully and slowly. I know that Dragon insists that its users should speak fluently and continuously.

Unfortunately and irritatingly, the system is reacting to heard words one, two, three and four:

1, one, won
2, two, too, to
3, three, free
4, four, for, fore

I have tried to create an Intag-free zone within the Speech Productivity Dictation Boxes but this is only partly successful. Rob's new box, unfortunately, attracts the worst four Intags possible.

I am now switching off Intags during my business hours.

Is there any way to suppress Intags 1 to 4?
Stephen,

I see that the Large version attracts even more (five of them LOL)

You can always remove specific numbers from your displaynumbers XML (in the 1to300 section) but that's not advised because you will surely need them for other purposes.

I can easily create a button and link-free Dictation Box version that won't attract any Intags at all.
Let me know if you'd be interested in that.

Rob
Speech19652018-04-17 18:45:18

Thank you, Rob, for your efforts to create an Intag-free zone for dictation.

When you type many thousands of business-critical words per week as I do, it is frustrating when your work flies off the screen because you have spoken one of the lower numbers. Personally, I would like 1 to 9 to be banned (-:

Dictation is best carried out in a “sand pitted” area, and that’s where your Speech Productivity solutions can work really nicely in conjunction with Voicecomputer.

P.S. Numbered lists and clause numbers also cause problems where there is any hesitation.

Nimbargent2018-04-18 08:22:29

There’s another (simpler?) solution for your problem.

When you wish to dictate 1-4, (or 1-9), you can say, “type 1”, “type 2”, etc., instead of just saying, “1”…

Thank you, Ron, but this doesn't help with the following:

1, one, won
2, two, too, to
3, three, free
4, four, for, fore

I think, however, that I have come up with a few ways of temporarily isolating the Intag functionality from typed text. It may sound like a minor issue, but it's quite infuriating when work suddenly disappears from the screen because a high occurrence ordinary word is interpreted as an Intag.

There is another way around this.

Use Dragon’s dictation mode. “Dictation Mode On”, “Dictation mode off”.

This remains a very serious problem for me with Voicecomputer. For certain business work, I am having to switch Voicecomputer off.

1, one, won
2, two, too, to
3, three, free
4, four, for, fore

I may, for instance, use the word "to" in a sentence and my work disappears completely.
I can set Rob's dictation boxes up to provide an Intag-free dictation zone, but outside of a safe environment the reaction to the lower numbers can be infuriating.

This isn't helped by the lower numbers being assigned quite often to the most "dangerous" tags.

Is there any simple way of starting the numbers at say 10?

Is there any simple way of starting the numbers at say 10?

Yes. We use xml command files that can be edited. I’ll attach an edited file as soon as I test it for a while.

Simply removing the numbers 1-4 (or more) from the List section in the displaynumbers XML (at the bottom) seems to work. The numbers 1-4 still appear but they don't respond anymore.

First close VoiceComputer and then go to C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom

Open the displaynumbers XML with Notepad. Now you can remove the first 1-4 lines (or more) from the List section in the XML file. When done simply save the file.

It's probably wise to back up the original displaynumbers XML to a safe place before performing this operation.

Rob
<edited><editID>Speech1965</editID><editDate>2018-06-08 09:44:21</editDate></edited>

I really appreciate this. I think that it is because my dictation is so vast that I am hit so frequently.
Here's the updated command file for you.

uploads/10/displaynumbers.xml

This file eliminates the "1 to 10" Intag commands.

To click on 1-10, say, "click 1-10" or "pick 1-10"

All other commands are unaffected.

Turn off VoiceComputer and copy this file over the existing file in

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom

and

C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerhelpVC_FilesCustom_files

(Rob: Your approach would also eliminate all other 1-4 commands, e.g., right click 1-4, double 1-4...

Instead, I added two more command lists to displaynumbers.xml to make it easy for anyone to remove or add the "1 to 10" Intag commands (or right click, double click 1-10, etc.). I'll include this file in future releases, keeping the 1-10 command enabled.

RonK2018-06-08 11:02:22
Thank you, Ron, for doing this for me. This is going to help me tremendously. It is a shame that speaking a number without the prefix can have an unintended consequence such as closing a program in the middle of dictation. With my first pass testing, this implementation seems to be immaculate. I will wait to see whether any problems occur over the next week or so, but I am very confident that you have fixed it.

Kind regards Stephen
I have been testing this. It works immaculately.

This implementation is far preferable to having to say click or pick before every number. It is really only numbers 1 to 4 that give the problem. In England, 7 for Severn (the river) is a remote candidate, as is 8 for ate (but sometime we say "et").

Again, many thanks, Ron.

Regards Stephen
<edited><editID>Nimbargent</editID><editDate>2018-06-09 07:46:17</editDate></edited>

Hello Ron

A Windows Update killed my computer and I had to reinstall the latest VoiceComputer software. I have Professional not Lite. The display numbers xml file to eliminate numbers 1 to 10 no longer appears to work. You were going to provide this as a configuration option. How would I get this going again? Regards, Stephen

I forwarded you the file that I sent to you a year and a half ago.
Please let me know if it works.

Ron

One trick I’ve used is to create some commands in Dragon, so I can output the word or keystrokes I actually want. For example, I use ‘uppy’ and ‘downy’ to hit the up and down arrow keys, respectively. So if you have a handful of words that keep getting misinterpreted, you could create your own substitutions. Like ‘wuhnee’ for ‘one’ and ‘two-ee’ for ‘two’.

I have emailed you. Unfortunately, it did not work.

Thank you. I stopped using VC for business purposes because of this defect. You say one, won, too, two, three, free, for, fore etc. and your work disappears. The old fashioned way of saying “click one”, “click two” etc is safer because it prevents this problem. I have just retired so loss of work is less critical but it would be nice to write out 1 to 5 at least from the numbering sequence.

Others haven’t reported this issue. - It’s sometimes difficult to discern whether a lack of reporting means that users don’t have problems or whether they are resigned to it!

In the next release, I’ll introduce an option that will let users configure whether they want to keep the ‘one to ten’ commands or use ‘pick one to ten’ instead.

• Many have told me that ‘pick’ rolls off the tongue much easier than ‘click’

Of course, where numbering in Edge is continuous from menu to page, then the low number appear in the menu. Recognition errors then often close pages.