Super numbers and Outlook

Is it possible to use show numbers on Outlook. I would like to be able to look at all the messages in my inbox and choose them by number. I cannot do that now. Is it because I have my Outlook setup incorrectly? Or, is that not a current feature of super numbers?

Also, I am having a problem transitioning from super numbers to the, “show canvas feature”.

Gary,

First, let's distinguish between Show | Display Numbers and Super Numbers. Show | Display numbers only numbers the active links in an application window. E-mail messages are not active links (objects). Therefore, for what you want to do, Show | Display numbers won't work. The same limitations applies to Show Numbers in Windows Speech Recognition (WSR), or Max Roth's ShowNumbers Plus!

Super Numbers allows you to create a template | canvas | overlay (canvas and overlay being the key words as far as super number commands are concerned). In this case, Super Numbers is not particularly effective in Microsoft Outlook because you have to number, or label, the e-mail messages that you want to review. One of the advantages of Super Numbers is that you can create labels for specific e-mails, modify them, and/or remove them, but it's an extra step that becomes more complex the more you number specific e-mails. To put it more succinctly, you can use Super Numbers in Microsoft Outlook, but I'm not sure that you would get any real productivity out of doing so simply because the labels that you put on specific e-mails while not correspond to them as new e-mails are received.

When working with e-mail messages in Microsoft Outlook, it is much easier to simply move down through your e-mails by voice command and select the ones that you want to open once they are highlighted by simply saying "enter" or "press enter", or use the mouse commands (VoiceComputer Voice Mouse commands).

Show | Display numbers and Super Numbers have their limitations. Super Numbers is designed to work for identifying buttons, objects, menus etc. in a particular window that are consistent in the same position but which you cannot access directly by voice command because they are not Active Accessibility enabled. For example, if you use Nuance's PDF Converter Pro or the latest Adobe Acrobat Professional (XI), you'll find that the menu options are not accessible by voice. This is a good place where you can use Super Numbers to assign a number (creating and overlay) to the menu options so that you can access them by voice command.

Each of these features is useful under the given conditions in which they are effective and for which they are productive. However, neither of these features is an end-all and be-all in and of itself.

To create an overlay, or canvas, with Super Numbers, you first open your application and position it/size it where you want it. Then you say "create overlay | canvas". You can use either. I prefer saying "create overlay". However, you can use either. The only recommendation that I make is that whenever you're going to use you stick to it. Switching back and forth between commands is generally a bad idea because you end up getting them confused. Pick one and stick with it.

Once you have created an overlay, simply position the mouse where you want a number to be displayed. You can do that manually or you can do it by Voice Mouse commands. Once you get the mouse pointer position where you want it you can either "left click" on the mouse or simply say click | left click | mouse click and the number will be assigned to that location. Once you have assigned all the numbers that you want to a particular overlay, or canvas, you can use any of the Super Numbers commands to activate that particular numbered object. Each overlay that you create is assigned to the specific application for which you created it. Therefore, if you open that application again, you simply say "show overlay" and your overlay with all of its numbered items will be displayed. If you create more than one overlay for a particular application, they will be numbered in the lower right-hand corner starting with the first overlay (e.g., 1/3 – first overlay of 3). You can go to any specific overlay by saying "show overlay #" where #= the specific number of the overlay that you want to display. If you no longer need and particular overlay, you can delete it by going to the particular overlay that you want to remove and simply say "delete overlay".

Take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, it's quite slick. Once we have finished some of the current projects that were working on, we will create some demonstrations that will show you how you can use Super Numbers.

Chucker2013-04-22 08:38:24

Gary et al.,

Here is a tip on how you can use VoiceComputer to read e-mails in Microsoft Outlook.

1. Set up the Reading pane to display either on the right or at the bottom so that the Reading pane is displayed for each e-mail that you select. I prefer setting the Reading pane at the bottom.
2. With the Reading pane displayed, you can use the "move down" Dragon command to move down through your e-mails, which will then be displayed in the Reading pane. You don't have to shift focus from the highlighted e-mail message. VoiceComputer has a command that allows you to

page down through the Reading Pane without having to remove focus from the selected e-mail message. Simply say "reading page down". Your e-mail will page down correctly in the Reading pane such that you can review your entire e-mail without having the active focus shifted to the Reading Pane. Then you can continue moving down through your e-mails using the "move down" commands.

Very effective and much easier than trying to wrap your leg around your neck by opening up to each e-mail so that you can read it and then having to shift focus back to the listed e-mails in your inbox. This applies to any Outlook mailbox. Also, by coupling it with the VoiceComputer VoiceShortcuts for Outlook, you can send e-mails to any e-mail folder and/or change to any e-mail folder to review the e-mails in such. Dragon's commands for working with e-mail folders is not only highly unreliable, it more often than not doesn't even work. VoiceComputer gives you a much easier way to view and change to e-mail folders. Once you're done reviewing a particular e-mail folder, you can simply switch back to the inbox by saying "show inbox" or "switch to inbox". There are several standard e-mail folders that you can do this with by simply saying "switch to" and the e-mail folder, but VoiceComputer allows you to do it for any e-mail folder.

The only caveat here is that this feature does not work in DNS 12.0 because of a bug. However, 12.5 fixes that bug and this command works properly. It also works correctly in DNS 11.5 and below.

Chucker2013-04-22 09:07:05

Thank you for that excellent best practice advice. I have been following your best practices in this forum and in no-brainer for years. I have been using the “send to folder” command for so long that I forgot it was a voice computer command. I did not know about the reading page down command until just now.

I use Outlook with the getting things done Outlook add in. That creates a lot of new buttons such as, "action, delegate etc. The show numbers command works very well with them. If I am in the show numbers command how do I stop it in order to go to show canvas?

Gary,

To turn off display numbers, simply say “hide Display Numbers”. Then say either “create overlay” or “create canvas” if you’re creating a new Super Numbers template, or say “show overlay” or “show overlay #”, where #= the number of the overlay you want to open.

If you need to review the Super Numbers commands, simply say “show Super Numbers commands” that’ll give you a list of all the commands and how to use them for Super Numbers.Chucker2013-04-22 18:35:05

Chuck,</p><p>I use show canvas quite a bit. But I never saw where I can number it. (The canvas itself not the individual numbers within the canvas)</p><p>also, I have not been able to get the, "reading page down" command to work. I can say down which advances me to the next email message, but how do I get to the reading pane? I didn't see that on your Outlook commands page of the main menu.</p>

Gary,

Super Numbers is designed to automatically control the assignment of numbers to canvases/overlays, record the size and position of application screens (windows) in which you create overlays/campuses so that each time you open an overlay/canvas the screen is automatically positioned so that the numbers always correspond to the correct location. Super Numbers also records the application name (i.e., window screen name) so that each application has its own set of overlays/canvases. We do this to keep you from making mistakes and prevent the loss of absolute positioning for numbers you assigned to specific objects.

To understand exactly how to use Super Numbers, simply say “show Super Number Commands” you’ll find a detailed explanation of all the Super Number commands and basically how to use them. Unfortunately, for reasons that are not something I want to go into here, we haven’t yet created any demos. Once we have completed all of our testing and development, we will do so and then it will be clear when viewing the Super Numbers demos exactly how they work.

As regards the “reading page down” command, there are three issues:

1. The “configure VoiceComputer” | #16 must have the appropriate VoiceComputer commands enabled (i.e., checked).

2. You must have the Reading pane enabled in Microsoft Outlook and position either at the right or at the bottom.

3. You won’t find the command in the VoiceComputer commands for Outlook because this was a feature that we added but have not yet documented.

Properly set up (i.e., command sets and the Reading pane in Outlook), the command will work. I know that it works because I use it consistently. If you need help with the proper commands, take a look at the command screen that I posted in one of the other posts on this forum.

Thanks Chuck, I thought you were indicating that there was actually a name or a number for the whole canvas. I checked my number 16 settings and they are all fine.

In terms of Outlook, if you are in the inbox and the reading pane is to the bottom of the inbox (something you showed me how to do about 2 years ago), what is the command to switch from having the cursor in the inbox where the messages are to the window pane?

Gary,

One using the “reading page down” command with the Reading pane displayed, all you have to do is to highlight a specific message in the inbox and then say “reading page down”. Voice computer will automatically page down the reading pane without your having to change to the Reading pane window.

If you have any other questions about using the “reading page down” command or the Super Number commands, just wave a flag.

Chuck,
The command does not work for me. I have my inbox open and I have one email message highlighted with the reading pane to the right. When I give the command, "reading page down" nothing happens except the dictation box opens with those words dictated. If I understand you correctly, when it works it will scroll down through the reading pane which would be a tremendous help .

Gary,

What size monitor are you using?

Do you have Microsoft Outlook displayed full-screen?

When you look at the reading pane, for the email that you are looking at, is there a slide bar in the reading pane?

The reason that I ask these questions is that if the entire email message is displayed in the reading pane and there is no slide bar, then “reading page down” and/or “reading page up” won’t appear to be working because the entire message is displayed. You need to try and find an email message that is not entirely displayed in the reading pane before these commands will have an effect.

That worked very well. Thank you very much.

Chucker,

Besides a mental health facility, where should I go to learn to master Super Numbers?

Gotta go. Time for my medication.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

To understand exactly how to use Super Numbers, simply say “show Super Number Commands” you’ll find a detailed explanation of all the Super Number commands and basically how to use them.

Thanks so much.

Jim