Smart Quotes

Hello. This may be old news, but has the straight quotes v. curly quotes (i.e., “smart quotes”) issue ever been resolved or addressed in any way? Thank you!

Russell,

Straight quotes vs. curly quotes is an issue that can't be resolved by Dragon because Dragon bypasses AutoCorrect in Microsoft Word. That is, it does not engage AutoCorrect because dictation is separate from using the keyboard. Therefore, curly quotes, extended hyphens (- vs. –) and certain other AutoCorrect features are not engage during dictation because the commands for these come out of the Vocabulary Editor directly, thus bypassing any AutoCorrect feature. Because of this, they are not correctable and never will be.

There are only the old standby workarounds . Obviously for special characters like curly quotes you can do either of the following.

First, remember that the ASCII codes for curly quotes (smart quotes) are as follows:

1. Open curly quotes = Press and hold the Alt key and then the using the numeric keypad press 0147. So the code would be Alt+0147. In a text window simply using this ASCII code would produce “.
2. For close curly quotes = Press and hold the alt key and then using the numeric keypad press 0148. So the code would be Alt+0148. In a text window simply using this ASCII code would produce ”.

The first method of accomplishing this is:
1. Enter the ASCII code for above in the Written form in the Vocabulary Editor.

2. In the Spoken form, enter what you want to use to call it (execute it). Be careful what you use because it is not too difficult to enter a spoken form that may not work properly.
3. Train it.
4. Make sure that you properly modify the "Insert … space before and … space after" entries. Otherwise, you will get incorrect spacing when you use these in-line (structured commands).

Remember that you have to make an entry for both the open smart quote and the close smart quote entries.

The second method can be used if you want to always use smart quotes (curly quotes), remembering that there are some fonts and some applications that don't support these ASCII codes. Under such conditions they will display as standard quotes. That is, unless the plot or the application supports these ASCII codes, you won't get smart quotes.
1. Find the standard open quote in the Vocabulary Editor.
2. Click on the Properties button and put a checkmark in the Use alternate written form 1. Then enter the ASCII code as noted above in the alternate written form text box.
3. Make sure that you click on the Format button at the far right of the Use alternate written form 1 entry area and select the proper spacing and any other properties that you want. You can't do it in the standard formats because these are grayed out. They have to be done in the alternate written form formatting dialog.
4. Do the same for the "close quote" entry.

The two methods are presented because, to borrow a quote from Pro football, on any given Sunday (i.e., under any given set of circumstances) what may work for one user may not work for another. Hence the two different methods because one of them should work reliably and consistently. In addition, you can use the "Use alternate written form 1 in the first method by following the first set of instructions only using standard quotation marks for the Written form, enter the Spoken form with the name of your choice keeping the caveats above in mind, and then use the alternate written form approach outlined in the second method. Doing it this way allows you to keep both the smart quotes and the standard quotes.

How you do it is up to you. I'm just outlining the options without assuming that you or anyone else understands these procedures.

Lastly, the one thing that I mentioned with regard to hyphens in Microsoft Word is that using the command hyphen and continuing to dictate will put a "-" and maintain it rather than putting in the "–" as would normally be the case if you were typing your entry. Again, this is because Dragon uses the vocabulary and bypasses the normal functionality of the AutoCorrect feature. If you want the "– dash" or the "– endash" or "— emdash" then you should use those in-line (structured" commands. Instead of dictating hyphens.

Keep in mind that VoicePower was not designed to replace those features in Dragon such as the above. VoicePower only provides you with capabilities, commands, and features that are not inherent within Dragon. Also, note that DNS 11 is more reliable, consistent, and accurate using the above methods than previous versions.
Chucker2011-04-08 04:02:11

Hello Chucker:

I try to take a few minutes each day to look through voice power for more information. In looking at commands for Word, I found in the “style commands” the following commands:

<span =“Apple-tab-span” style=“white-space:pre”> single close quote(smart quote)
<span =“Apple-tab-span” style=“white-space:pre”> single open quite(smart quote)
<span =“Apple-tab-span” style=“white-space:pre”> smart close quote
<span =“Apple-tab-span” style=“white-space:pre”> smart open quote

I tried to deploy them that they came out saying the word smart and then a quotation. To put the smart quotes around the style commands above, I used the KnowBrainer smart quotes.

What are these 4 commands for anyway?

Thanks as always,

Jim