At work, I manage several mailboxes with Outlook 2003. For instance, I manage:

sales@company.org

support@company.org

me@company.org

They are displayed simultaneously in the Outlook "All Mail Folders" pane as

Mailbox - Sales

Mailbox - Support

Mailbox - Me

I currently switch between and send messages to each mailbox (and subfolders within it) using a series of DNS Advanced Scripts. They work, but they take awhile to deploy. I'm wondering if I can speed up the process by using a Voice Shortcut in VoicePower. My understanding, though, is that the parent > child > grandchild syntax only allows me to access folders and subfolders within one mailbox.

Finding uniquely named reference points within each mailbox is tough, because each inbox contains hard coded folders (in other words, I can't rename them) such as "Inbox," "Sent Items," and "Deleted Items."

Eric,

I do the same thing using three distinct and different mailboxes. I have no problems with the VoiceShortcuts command as long as I ensure that the path to each is the correct one showing in the tree on the left. You simply have to find the right path sequence. The Outlook e-mail shortcut commands don’t care about anything except how to navigate your e-mails. VoicePower uses the same search commands as what you would have to create via Advanced Scripting. While VoicePower does it a little differently, it basically uses the Outlook go to function.

I would have to see a copy of your mailbox tree in order to visualize exactly what you need to do. Nevertheless, this is one of the advantages of VoicePower is that you don’t have to wrap your leg around your neck and it will work with any set of mailboxes.

Thanks Chuck. This is encouraging. I thought that because VoicePower prohibited me from putting a hyphen in the path that there was no way I could get it to differentiate between “Mailbox - Sales” and “Mailbox - Me.” But I’ll spend some time in the tree and see if I can whip up the Voice Shortcuts. I’ll post a screen capture if I need additional support.

Eric,

I took a look at the way that you have your mailboxes set up in your post and tried some experiments duplicating your format. The only thing that I discovered was that you may have a problem with hyphens in the mailbox entries if they are surrounded by spaces. For example, you may have to change “mailbox - sales” to “mailbox-sales”. It isn’t the hyphens, it’s the spaces that exist on either side of such. In the past spaces were problem, but they are not a problem anymore. The problem appears to be that spaces surrounded by hyphens aren’t recognized properly. I will run this by Ron, but what I found was that if you remove the spaces on either side of the hyphens, then everything worked properly no matter what the number of mailboxes that you have and how they’re set up.

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your digging into this issue. Unfortunately, it’s a non-starter for me. I don’t have the ability to change the display name (how stupid!). I’ve run a request up the chain to change the display name for me, but it’s not going to hapen any time soon.

Regardless, it’s nice to know that VoicePower updates have made improvements to this functionality. As you know, I’m having some issues with DNS 11. But as soon as I’m able to use DNS 11 consistently, I look forward to upgrading to a new VoicePower release and really diving into the deep end with it.

Chuck,

Good news! I misunderstood your advice. In short, the syntax of the Voice Shortcut doesn’t have to match the folders exactly. My target folder is “Mailbox - Sales” and I don’t have the ability to rename it within Outlook. But the Voice Shortcut fires just fine if I write the Shortcut as “Mailbox-Sales.”

Ultimately, these don’t deploy any quicker than the DNS scripts. But, they’re a lot easier to write and edit, and they serve two purposes. I’m impressed!

Thanks for your help.

Eric,

I think it was better that you discover this on your own, but you’re correct, you don’t have to modify the folders or the folder names in Outlook. You just have to make sure that the shortcut is set up properly. I have a domain e-mail address which is Chuck@GEMCCON.com. VoicePower finds that mailbox just fine. So, VoicePower searches through the folder list anyway and doesn’t matter what is contained in the actual folder. It will find what it needs via the Outlook search command, or the “Go to” Outlook command. The only problem that I’ve ever encountered is when you give your VoiceShortcut a command name that conflicts with something else, either in Dragon or in VoicePower. For example, I tried to use the command name “GEMCCON” to call up my domain name e-mail and it simply didn’t work. However, when I change it to “Chuck” and reactivated, it worked fine. So, if you ever have one that doesn’t execute when you know that it’s set up properly, and you have to make sure that the path is correct first, then change the command name.

I suspect that the reason that the script and VoicePower function at about the same speed is because they both are doing principally the same thing which is searching through the go to command. Sometimes VoicePower is faster, sometimes it’s about equal. In a simple e-mail structure, VoicePower is extremely fast. It generally depends on how your folders and subfolders are set up. In your case and my case because we have a rather complex folder set up, it’s likely a tad slower than either of us would like. Ron is tried to speed it up somewhat, but, unfortunately, the speed of the search is dependent on Outlook vs. VoicePower and/or DNS Advanced Scripting. And, that is most likely the reason for the speed issue and the fact that there’s no difference between VoicePower and DNS scripting.

However, what you have discovered is that it is 10 times easier using VoicePower, as well as many times faster to both create and edit VoiceShortcuts. I have VoiceShortcuts set to access almost 100 folders, and the fact that I can not only send e-mails to them but change to them without having to search through 100 folders and subfolders is what makes VoicePower head and shoulders above DNS. Chucker2010-11-24 08:56:24

<div>There are
  some similar problems in my ms outlook. And only this morning I had probably
  found out a proper solution. The tool has many positive resources for working
  out all kind of problem with ms outlook emails -
  <a href="http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/pst_recovery_outlook_2007.html" target="_blank">pst
  recovery outlook 2007</a>.</div>