Self-Programming commands in Microsoft Outlook

When creating or editing a Self-Programming command for "Add or Edit Move to Folder Command' (for Outlook or Lotus)" there are a couple of points and issues that everyone needs to be aware of:

1. Outlook e-mail folders cannot have any spaces in the e-mail folder name. For example, if you have a folder name "Bill VIP", you must either eliminate the space between Bill and VIP (i.e., BillVIP) or replace all spaces with an underscore ( _ ). If you need to have multiple word e-mail folder names, then use underscores between (i.e., Bill_VIP). Another approach is to enter the folder name using only the name before the first space. For example, if you have an e-mail folder under the inbox that is named "Bill Black" and there is no other folder anywhere with the prefix "Bill", then simply eliminate any of the folder name portion after "Bill". That is, instead of using:

Inbox>Bill Black

use

Inbox>Bill

This is one way of avoiding the need to add an underscore or eliminate the spaces. Regardless of what method that you use keep in mind that each folder name must have a unique prefix.

2. Remember to keep the Spoken Name simple and easy to remember. It is better to use one word versus multiple words if possible. Using the examples above, you would do this by using the Spoken Name as either Bill or VIP. Also, keep in mind that you don't want to duplicate Spoken Names.

3. make certain that no folder is a partial name of a second folder. For example, don't have folders named: "sample", "sample1", and "sample2 because a command to move to, change to, or send to a folder under this condition can result in going to either the folder named "sample" or to the "inbox". To prevent this, name your folders with no common prefix (i.e., sample1, sample2, or sample3, or 1sample, etc.).

4. Keep in mind that if any e-mail folder is a child or grandchild etc. of a primary folder, the folder tree must be specified completely with ' > ' separating each parent, child, grandchild, etc. and there can be no spaces anywhere.

5. One of the easiest ways to create the folder correctly is to do the following:
When you highlight a folder in Microsoft Outlook, the folder location is shown in the Address box to the right of the Search the web icon (Globe with the magnifying glass). If you copy that location and paste it into the Folder text box in the "Configuration for Moved to Folder commands" dialog and then edit it to conform to the configuration requirements, that will save you the trouble of having to dictate or type it in. For example:

InboxOrders_OnlineOrders_2010

is what you would copy. The address box shows that Outlook e-mail folder path prefixed by outlook:. You don't have to copy that just the primary, secondary, tertiary etc. folder path as shown above. Note that there is an underscore between multiple words as specified and required in #1 above.

You would then only have to convert the above by replacing the ' ' with the '>', remembering that you shouldn't leave any spaces anywhere in the folder path.

6. WSR, if you're using Windows Speech Recognition, handles certain types of commands differently than Dragon NaturallySpeaking. For example, when opening these dialogs, the command is to say the number followed by "open" (i.e., 1 open). In some cases with WSR you may have to repeat the command. In other cases you may have to simply highlight the number that you want and then say "OK". In other cases and on other systems, the commands work fine in WSR. We're just making you aware of this. Our suspicion is that this is a command recognition issue, but we're looking into it to see why on some systems it works properly with WSR and on others it does not. Regardless, it is important that everyone be aware of this. Also, these commands work properly with DNS in all cases. Only WSR has the problem(s) noted.

7. The "folder" in the command line is optional. That is you can say Change to/Send to/Move to folder but it isn't necessary to add "folder" to the command. Also note that Send to/Move to move any highlighted e-mail message to the specified folder. Change to will change to that specified e-mail message folder but will not move any e-mail messages. This is useful for simply locating and going directly to a specific e-mail message folder.

Most of this information is contained either in the dialog boxes themselves or in the VoicePower help (Show Voice Shortcuts Lesson / Show Section 1). However, some of the issues noted above are not contained in such, which is the reason for this post.

Chucker2010-03-09 12:29:31

I heard
about many interesting softwares, which work with emails. But yesterday no
one of its couldn’t help me. I had got many damaged emails. Only today I have
found - repair
pst file vista
in the Internet. The tool solved my issue quite fast and
completely free of charge as I bore in mind. Besides it resolved my friend’s
problems.

<edited><editID>zlatan24</editID><editDate>2010-07-15 04:58:08</editDate></edited>

Thank you for your post. Looks like a very interesting application for repairing Outlook PST files. It also looks like it will repair OST files as well.

The only caveat is that they only talk about Vista. The question remains whether or not it will work in Windows 7 and/or 32-bit/64-bit. It also remains to be seen whether or not it will work with Microsoft Outlook 2010. I note that this website and its information is slightly out of date. So, if anyone experimenting with or using this repair program in Windows 7 and/or 32-bit/64-bit versions of Microsoft Outlook 2010 has any additional comments, they would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn’t the " SCANPST" application in Microsoft office perform this function?

Jomark,

I believe it does. However, Outlook is pretty good at recovery by itself. The SCANPST is also pretty good at recovering OST files created via Microsoft Exchange Server. I believe that I didn't have to use this at one point and it worked if I remember correctly.

Chucker

There is also a SCANOST application in microsoft Office that I presume deals with OST files.

In a number of programs there are often utilities hidden away and not publicised.

Jomark,

Thanks for the heads up. I probably used SCANOST, but it’s been so long I don’t remember. Haven’t had to use it since.