search voicecomputer

I’m having trouble every time I say “search voicecomputer” it brings up Startup/ shutdown utility and the search box. Is there another way to say search voicecomputer?
I’m using voice computer version 12.81

David

David,

We apologize for not getting back to you sooner. However, VoiceComputer 12.81 was the first introduction of the VC microphone feature.

Since this was a new feature, it didn’t surprise us that we would run into some issues that would require modification to the VoiceComputer microphone feature. As such, we introduced it to our users indicating up front that it was the first implementation (Beta).

The VoiceComputer microphone basically uses SAPI 5.3 (Windows Speech Recognition). Therefore, when this feature is implemented and the icon is located in the systray, the microphone is always listening for commands relative to turning the microphone on and opening VoiceComputer without having to put the VoiceComputer desktop shortcut link in the Windows Startup folder and without having to have Dragon loaded. We tried to keep it simple. That is, no configuration on the part of the user is required. Unfortunately, we did run into some issues where the commands that we used originally spontaneously spawned the VoiceComputer Startup/Shutdown utility. We have subsequently resolve this issue and there should be a new release shortly that fixes these problems.

In the interim, there are a couple of ways that you can handle this.

1. You can open the configure VoiceComputer dialog and say “three open”. If you have configured VoiceComputer to launch the VC microphone from the Windows Startup folder, you can remove it via this configuration option such that it does not load when Windows starts. Despite the problems that you may be having, I personally consider this overkill. However, it’s your choice.

2. When Windows starts up with the VC microphone launch in the Windows Startup folder, it places the VC microphone icon in the systray (i.e., white square with a blue microphone symbol). If you right-click on this icon you can close it and that effectively turns the feature off until you relaunch. We have also provided a VC microphone shortcut on the desktop which you can use to turn the VC microphone back on (i.e., put it back in the systray). I personally prefer this method rather than removing it from the Windows Startup Folder because it is a very simple process of turning it off and turning it back on again. Also, by leaving it in the Windows Startup Folder, when you boot up your system and Windows has finished loading, you can simply open VoiceComputer by saying the commands. Dragon doesn’t need to be loaded and VoiceComputer automatically launches Dragon and itself. After that, if you need to, you can close the VC microphone using the method described above and restart it whenever you need or want it.

We discovered initially that some of the commands produced this unwanted effect of launching the VoiceComputer Startup/Shutdown utility, and in your case the “search VoiceComputer” command simultaneously. Again, we have fixed this problem which will be implemented in the next release.

One of the reasons why we kept it simple was because providing users with a configuration utility would add more complexity without producing any significant benefit. That is, we kept it simple and functional. Once you get your hands on the next release, the problems that you are experiencing will not occur, unless you say the specific commands relative to opening the VoiceComputer Startup/Shutdown utility, but you will be able to turn the microphone on and off by simply saying the microphone commands. You will also be able to launch VoiceComputer without having to load Dragon first, which is the major feature of the VC microphone. Being able to turn the microphone on and off, as well as launch VoiceComputer without having Dragon loaded eliminates the necessity for any complex configurations lets you control everything by voice command.

I think you will find that the next release will make the VC microphone much more functional and not prone to this type of issue. However, you will still have the capability of configuring in any way that you want as far as launching it on Windows startup or closing and reopening such from the systray and/or the desktop. We kept it simple because other utilities that do this are far too complex and overkill.