Running this app might put your PC at risk

I get this error when I click on setup.

Windows protected your PC

Windows defender Smart screen prevented and unrecognized from starting. Running this might put your PC at risk.

Any ideas how to make this work?

Thank you,
Matt

A few other users have reported this.

Windows defender is just being overly aggressive on your computer.

Setup.exe is safe. We carefully scan our software and the release has been out for a while so many other users have scanned their installations.

Just click on run anyway or whatever the override is.

Smart Screen filter has a tendency to block unknown executables. Unknown could be interpreted here as: not Microsoft.

A good antivirus system (like Kaspersky) should be light on resources and not bother customers with false positives but only interfere if real threats are identified.

Anyway, for those who want to disable Smart Screen filter:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-windows-smartscreen-in-windows-10/

Windows Defender is as Dragon friendly as it gets.

Follow Ron's instructions for continuing when this screen is displayed. This is just an irritating warning that can be easily bypassed without having to wrap your leg around your neck. In other words, it is not necessary to disable Windows smart screen filter.

Nor is it necessary to wrap your leg around your neck my going out getting another antivirus program.

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be, or have to be, done at all. - Peter Drucker
Chuck,

Windows Defender may be as Dragon friendly at it gets, it is not exactly as safe as it gets and it's not as processor friendly as it gets either.
Doing a full system scan with Windows Defender can easily heat up your processor to 60°. Maybe you feel comfortable with that temperature for a prolonged period of time, I don't (especially on hot summer days). Those who install a monitor utility like CoreTemp find out soon enough:

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

There is not a single antivirus review (nor has there been) that speaks highly of Windows Defender's detection rate. Virtually any (free) antivirus solution has a better detection rate.

Als je graag alles bij het vertrouwde houdt en niets nieuws probeert zal er nooit iets creatiefs en vernieuwends uit je handen komen. - Jan Smit (my Dutch next-door neighbor)

Translated: If you're comfortable keeping everything the way it is you will never create anything innovative.

Rob,

In general, I would agree that there are some instances with some users in which the things that you point out are generally correct. However, just FYI:

I find that with all four of my systems, the CPU temperature does not increase significantly. Both my Haswell in my Skylake systems are liquid cooled and run at about 25 to 28°C. They continue to remain at that temperature regardless of whether I’m running Windows 7 full scan or quick scan.

My Toshiba Coreâ„¢ i7 quad core 2670 runs a little hotter, but then it’s Sandy Bridge. Same goes for my Lenovo dual core Coreâ„¢ i7 3517 (Ivy Bridge), but neither of these run more than 45°C, primarily because both of them have sufficient and proper external fan cooling.

As to your statement that “there is not a single antivirus review (nor has there been) that speaks highly of Windows Defender’s detection rate.”, Try taking a look at Techradar.Pro’s Best antivirus for Windows 10 2018.

Chuck,

I checked out the link:

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-antivirus-windows-10

It's good to hear that Kaspersky Free is on number one in 2018. I always advise Kaspersky because it never bothers me with false positives and it's got a very low system footprint and excellent detection rate. I think I will switch to the paid version again because I love their safe banking secure browser.
Anyway, Windows Defender is on number five in this test so there's no reason to use it because you can get Kaspersky for free.

Liquid CPU cooling sure is a good idea, but I don't think the general user wants to do that.
Anyway, if temperatures remain as low and stable as you say then I think I will switch to liquid cooling. Can you recommend me a good set?

I bought Kaspersky from the following highly discounted site, EU/UK only, promoted by a genuine UK computer magazine. There are a range of options:

bit.ly/kaspersky1pc