Recognition History in DNS 11 Pro

Well, I seem to be “Mr. Question Man” at this point but what is the function of “Recognition History” under Tools in DNS 11 Pro? How should I use this?

Best,

Alan

Alan,

The purpose of the view recognition history is forechecking to see whether DNS is recognizing what you’re saying correctly. This is simply a display of what you have dictated that is stored in the speech buffer (i.e., the last 1000 utterances, although I haven’t checked whether or not it shows that many of them in DNS 11). The only difference between DNS 10.1 and DNS 11 is that the recognition history shows a number of things:

1. It shows what utterances have been dictated with low audio quality, Bluetooth dropouts, and/or signal clipping (partial loss of the input signal due to excessive volume).

2. It shows you what utterances are dictation and what utterances are commands.

3. It shows you relative to each utterance displayed what Dragon actually heard (interpreted).

The value of the recognition history is finding utterances that fall into any of the above categories and/or utterances with which you are having problems. That is, was an utterance recognized correctly, such as a command, was the audio quality acceptable or unacceptable, etc.

Other than the above, the view recognition history is a reference. You can select utterances and copy them so that they can be pasted into documents etc., Or you can say the entire recognition history to a file for various reasons, such as sending a report to Nuance yada yada yada.

One use that I make of it is that DNS can only recognize words. Ever since DNS 9-9.5, the commands for “format that number” and “format that spelled out” have been removed. If you dictate a number and you want the text instead of the number, you can view the recognition history and copy the text for that particular number for pasting into a document or forum posting. That is probably one of the most useful features because DNS will always display dictated numbers as text in the recognition history. If you’re using one of the professional versions, you can write a script to capture and display numbers as text. However, this involves using some of the SDK ActiveX controls which are not easy to understand or use. For the average user it’s much simpler to just: (1) dictate a number, (2) open the recognition history, and (3) copy the text for that number.

Hope this helps.