Problems with tag command

I have nine folders that I have tagged. I wanted to number them 1-9. The first four were fine. However, other parts of the computer I had not bookmarked and saved were enumerated such as my pictures, my music…

I deleted all those numbers. Now when I give the command “show my computer” I no longer get the numbered lists. Rather I get the menu with the various hard drives.

How did I screw the pooch this time?

Much appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

What you get when you say “show my favorites”. “Show my computer” only displays files and folders if they exist in the location listed at the top of the “show my computer” list.

Of course, I’m not sure what you did either, but I would start looking in “show my favorites”. Anything that’s tagged and bookmarked should show up in “show my favorites”.

Chucker,

the four tagged folders are the only things that show up in “show my favorites.”

Does that help?

Thanks,

Jim

I’m going to close out everything and restart the computer and see what happens. I will edit this after I do.

Shutting down the computer completely and restarting didn’t change anything. Hopefully, I can attach a picture of the menu.Trionalaw2013-08-08 08:56:32

Jim,

When you tag and bookmark a folder, a drive, a webpage, file, etc., these show up in your favorites folder (i.e., “show my favorites”). They won’t show up in “show my computer” unless they are in the location specified by the path at the top of the list command. In most cases, “show my computer” focuses on the desktop, which won’t show your tagged and bookmarked items but you can always get to such by saying “show my favorites”.

The functionality of the tagging and bookmarking feature is to replace anything that you tag and bookmark, or anything that you just tag in the “show my favorites” folder. That’s where you look for them.Chucker2013-08-08 11:34:07

thanks, Chucker:
I’m trying to creat agd.I go to" showmy computer “but nohing is numbered. I can’t givethe command” list 4" as an example.

Jim,

Try running a repair of VoiceComputer. I just tried “show my computer” and everything was numbered appropriately. My guess is that there may be something wrong with the program files VoiceComputer.

Let me know if running a repaired doesn’t resolve the issue. Also, say “show VoiceComputer version” and let me know which version you’re currently using.

I looked at your screen capture and the screen that you display is not the “show my computer” screen from VoiceComputer. What is displayed is the normal Windows “my computer” dialog. For whatever reason, VoiceComputer is not displaying its own screen.Chucker2013-08-09 06:06:11

Chucker:

I’m running version 12.5.0.9. I’ve tried to find how to repair VoiceComputer but have come up with nothing. I ran the search program. I’ve got into the file itself and found nothing. What’s the secret?

As always, much appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

Go to the Windows Control Panel | Programs and Features | VoiceComputer or VoiceComputer 64 bit | Click on Repair at the top of the Programs and Features dialog box.

The long and the short of it is that you do a Repair on VoiceComputer the same as you do a repair on Dragon.

You have the latest VoiceComputer version. However, if a repair doesn’t fix the problem, then it could be a problem with the commands that you have selected in the “configure VoiceComputer” 17. Enable | Disable VoiceComputer Commands. Still, that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense since you can use show my favorites and that works properly, which simply means that the commands that control are part of those that you have selected.

Will just take it one step at a time. I’ve seen this issue before many versions ago, but if it were occurring in this version of VoiceComputer, I would’ve found it.Chucker2013-08-09 09:23:11

Chucker:

I hopefully ran the repair. I got a menu saying it was configuring Windows and then it went blank. It didn’t fix the problem.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Jim,

First, are you sure that you’re using the right command? That is, you’re saying “show my computer”? You should see the following:

Second, when you do a Repair of VoiceComputer, you should see the dialog that says basically “copying new files”. If you did not see that or if the Repair didn’t function the same as if you were to do it with Dragon, then go to the location where you have downloaded and extracted the VoiceComputer files and double-click on the VS64_Setup.exe. What you should see is the Modify, Repair, Remove dialog (InstallShield) just like you would see if you ran a Repair of Dragon. Select the radio button for Repair, and try running it again.

I can’t be sure exactly what’s happening, but it appears that if you’re getting the dialog that you displayed in your previous post, then there must be something that’s causing that command to fail.

Push come to shove, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling VoiceComputer, but do that as a last resort only because you will have to reconfigure everything via the “configure VoiceComputer” dialog.Chucker2013-08-10 15:58:28

Thanks so much as always, Chucker:

I could not find VS64_Setup.exe. Attached is the menu of my options. As usual, I can’t figure out how to make the image smaller so that it will upload. I will send it to you by email.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Jim,

You’re looking for it in the wrong place. It’s not located in the program files (x86) for VoiceComputer, it’s located in the extracted files that you downloaded and from which you originally installed VoiceComputer. You won’t find it where you’re looking.

Chucker:

to save space on the hard drive I deleted the download. Should I download it again and go to the VS64_Setup.exe?

Thanks so much,

Jim

Jim,

Yes. I would store it on a thumb drive if you have one so that you don’t have to go back up to the link and re-download it. You can always replace it with the newest version when it’s released. But if you have a problem, such as the one you’re having, you really need to keep a copy. You know what happens to the links from time to time.

When you run the VS64_Setup.exe, you will get the standard InstallShield Modify, Repair, remove dialog. Simply select Repair.Chucker2013-08-12 12:42:25

Chucker:

ran the repair. No luck.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Jim,

The only other thing you can try is to uninstall VoiceComputer, reinstall it, and reconfigure it.

There is no reason why the “show my computer”, shouldn’t display the screen that I posted above. I’ve seen this happen way back in a previous version, but it doesn’t happen in the current version on any of my systems. For whatever reason, the command is not executing properly and is pulling up the standard “my computer” Windows Explorer dialog. In fact, the screens that you display are not even standard Windows Explorer. Are you sure that you are saying “show my computer”? Because “open my computer” is not a VoiceComputer commands and will open my computer in the standard dialog (Windows Explorer).

Chucker:

definitely giving the command “show my computer.” I will uninstall and reinstall and let you know how it works.

Thanks so much,

Jim

Jim,

Wait a day or two. We’ll have a new release.

Ron,

Thanks so much. I will wait.

Jim

Ron,

I have to confess I am a 60 year old juvenile who has to have what he wants yesterday. I have heeded your advice and not reinstalled version 12.5.0.9. I have now been 4 days without VoiceComputer. I think I have experienced VoiceComputer withdrawal. I find myself giving DNS 12.5 VC commands and then ridiculing it for not being able to comply.

I pride my elf on not deliberately hurting anyone or thing’s feelings. I have obviously stepped over the line with DNS. As punishment I am denying myself gelato from a store here in Cincinnati which opened a few months ago. The gelato is the frozen equivalent of CinnaBons. Need I say more?

So I am in frozen delight purgatory. It ain’t fun. I also decided I should have physical pain so stapled my left eye shut. OUCH!

I am going out today and buying a thumbdrive as Chucker has suggested to download it to. You well know you and he are the new E. F. Hutton’s.

Please don’t think I am trying to put any pressure on you. I am just reminding you that my life’s motto is “It’s all about me. If not, it should be.”

Enjoy your weekend. Do you have gelato nearby? If so, I will send you both a gift certificate if you let me know where it is if I am back in VC heaven today.

Seriously, thanks for all you do with this program. I may name my next pet “Super Numbers.” I like my wife’s pitiful looks at me.

Jim