Place window lower right etc.

I cannot remember whether Dragon has a set of native commands for Window placement.

Somehow I was using commands previously to place windows into particular quarters, but I have forgotten how I did this.

Your instructions tell me that I can reactivate your archived commands. How do I do this, please?

Your instructions tell me that I can reactivate your archived commands. How do I do this, please?

VoiceComputer’s command files are located in the following directory:

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom

The commands you want are in the positioncmds.xml file.

It’s best to open the positioncmds.xml file in an xml editor. (Some are free, others have a 30-day trial.)

and look for “Commented out commands”.

You’ll notice that there are some commands between

<!–
" (which ends the commented out commands).

Copy the following command from the commented out section and copy it before the commented out section (which begins with “<!–”)

<![CDATA[ ]]>

Save the file and the commands you want will be enabled.
(Place window/program top left, upper left, bottom left, lower right, etc.)

Or, just upload this file (right click on the link and save as)
uploads/10/positioncmds.xml

and copy over the existing file in the

C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom directory

RonK2018-09-27 21:47:13

Thank you, Ron, for taking the time out to post this carefully.

It is fantastic when things just work first time!

This provides some very useful functionality when using a UHD screen.

For me, this is far more useful than using two separate screens.

I bet that you have some other gems within this program.

Best wishes Stephen

Just a minor problem, Ron. This work for quadrants two, three and four, but not one (i.e.upper right.)

Can you check, please?

Place program upper right is a valid command and works for me.

Place program top right is also a valid command but Dragon doesn’t recognize it when I say it.

This is not unusual.

Here’s our command list for this command. (The spoken commands are the commands after the “”)

topbottomleftright1
toplefttop left
topleftupper left
toprighttop right
toprightupper right
lowerleftbottom left
lowerleftlower left
lowerrightbottom right
lowerrightlower right
lowerrightlowered right

You can add additional commands.

We added “up right” to the following list by copying and pasting the entire line
toprightupper right
toprightupper right

and then renaming the second ‘upper right’ to ‘up right’.

Be careful not to add or cut off any formatting such as a “>” or “<”

topbottomleftright1
toplefttop left
topleftupper left
toprighttop right
toprightupper right
toprightup right
toprighttop right
lowerleftbottom left
lowerleftlower left
lowerrightbottom right
lowerrightlower right
lowerrightlowered right

Let me know if this works for you. (if not, I can send you an edited file.)

We’re trying to finish up “VoiceComputer 2019” which will have several improvements.

Once we get this version released, I’ll start working on a simple editor for our command lists that will let you view and edit our commands.

Edit. Sorry, it must be a problem with my system. Today, I get quadrants 1, 2 and 3 but not 4, i.e. the non-responding quadrant has changed. Anyway, it is still very useful even as it is. Regards, StephenNimbargent2018-09-29 01:52:17

Have you tried all the variations of the commands?
Is Dragon recognizing your utterances as commands?
(That is, does the Dragon results box turn blue)
When you say, "Place program upper right"
or Place window upper right"
or place program/window top right?

I have spent quite some time working on this. I tried all of the variations of the command. One day I couldn’t get the first quadrant to work, then another day I couldn’t get the fourth quadrant to work.

I speak clear British English with emphasis on all consonants, so there should not be a recognition defect.

Then I started to try to understand your script. Eventually, I changed “lower right” to “cheese” and it worked immediately, i.e. place window cheese.

Now I have the placements named as “quadrant n”:

topbottomleftright1
toplefttop left
topleftupper left
topleftquadrant two
toprightupper right
toprighttop right
toprightquadrant one
lowerleftbottom left
lowerleftlower left
lowerleftquadrant three
lowerrightbottom right
lowerrightlower right
lowerrightquadrant four

So it took some time to get there but now it works immaculately.

Thank you, for your help.

Regards, Stephen

It’s good that you got it working but that took much too long.

I’ll start working on a much simpler way to edit commands once we get the new version released.

Thank you, Ron. I very much look forward to your new version and especially to the command edit facility.

It makes so much more sense to work on one huge UHD screen than working across two screens (especially when legal documents). I do hope that your new version will include these valuable window placement commands. Once the awkward names are replaced by simple commands like “Quadrant One”, Centre-it, it works superbly. It is a shame that you removed the good stuff. Nimbargent2018-10-23 09:57:21

Stephen,

Actually, what makes sense is what is important to each individual user. We disabled these commands because, at the time, most of our users weren’t using them and it made more sense to minimize the number of commands.

Nevertheless, it does make more sense using large monitors with high resolution video displays. I hope that you understand that we can’t be all things to all users, all the time. Otherwise, VoiceComputer would become nothing but one big bloated add-on. We try to keep it as trim as possible.

<edited><editID>Chucker</editID><editDate>2018-10-23 15:34:02</editDate></edited>

Thank you, Chucker, for you view on this.

It is probably a personal thing. I am working far more productively now with a single large screen and high definition. The adoption of the single large screen format is probably slow. From a business perspective, I am doing far more work for my clients in the “cloud”, e.g.coporate Outlook webmail: there is a problem here in that the systems can be very slow in accepting text. Speech computing needs to accommodate these changes. This by no means a criticism of this fine program. Regards, Stephen