Overlay? Or grid? Issue in Firefox? Or Dragon?

Hi Friends,

I debated whether or not to put this in the forum. I searched the forum the best I could, but didn’t find any sign of my issue.

I have Windows 10 updated, Dragon professional 15, nothing special no add-ons no programming, VC latest update, and plenty of horsepower for everything.

No matter where I’m at on the computer or what program I’m in, when I give the Dragon command, “mouse grid” and VC is open, with VC being opened before Dragon on startup, I get the normal Dragon grid, but also I get 15 numbers from VC, I’m guessing they come from VC because they are the same color, font, size as the numbers I get from VC.

The VC “grid” appears to be five columns across and three rows down. There are no dividing lines. And then there’s the number 16 very close to the middle of the screen. In Firefox though, the red VC grid overlay just seems to appear randomly, sometimes when I open Firefox and sometimes at a later point. Sometimes, in Firefox I can call out a number and it will go to that sector. Other times no matter what number I say, the VC “grid” immediately goes away and I’m given the normal VC overlay numbering for Firefox. And then as soon as I call any number again, it goes back to the grid overlay.

Sometimes the problem seems to “solve itself”. At other times I dink around to see if I right-click somewhere or left click somewhere or close a tab or something, the problem will go away and then I can call numbers and everything functions correctly. But, I have no idea how I made the problem go away.

I tried the Dragon grid command in several other places and it seems to work fine but still lays the red VC grid overlay as well. In these cases I can call out a red number, as long as it’s greater than any Dragon grid number, and the mouse will go there.

The screen grid overlay seems to work just fine, and I love it by the way. It works as well in Firefox.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have a project that I have to use Firefox for so I’m stuck!

Sean

Sean,

You're mixing apples and oranges.

First, Dragon can be loaded without VoiceComputer being active, but VoiceComputer requires that Dragon be open first.

Second, when you open Dragon's mouse grid with VoiceComputer loaded and active, the Dragon mouse grid will display, but so will the InTags grid (i.e., the numbers to which you are referring – 5 x 3 InTag numbers). This is not VoiceComputer's Screen Grid. VoiceComputer always keeps the InTag numbering open. If it doesn't have focus, then you will get the 5 x 3 grid of InTag numbers.

If you want to use the Dragon mouse grid, which is very outdated technology, then you should close the InTag numbers first. You can do this by either saying "close numbers", which will unfortunately close the mouse grid for Dragon, and then say "mouse grid". Otherwise, you can press the Esc key twice to close the InTag grid.

VoiceComputer's mouse commands and "Screen Grid" are much more powerful than anything you can use from Dragon. But mixing apples and oranges at the same time is going to give you exactly what you're getting. In other words, use one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Sean,

A couple of things.

I would suggest that you disable Dragon’s mouse commands.

DragonBar > Tools > Options > uncheck Enable mouse motion commands

And then enable the VoiceComputer mouse commands by saying, ‘Configure VoiceComputer’

‘2 Open’ where 2 is "Enable | Disable VoiceComputer Commands"

Check the ‘Mouse Commands’ box > OK > OK, then restart speech.

Say, Show Mouse commands’ to view the full range of our Voice Mouse commands.

The Voice Mouse is a true hands-free feature, letting you control up to 3 monitors.

As Chuck mentioned, the red VC grid overlay is displayed when no program has focus. This lets you switch to an application. Just turn off the Intags when you’re using the mouse features.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your help. Slowly I’m learning VC and replacing my old “mousegrid” habits. Thanks for your encouragement to get going down that road. In the end, I am certain that “screengrid” will offer me much more.

Thanks again,

Sean

Hi RonK,

Thanks for your help on this. Your clear directions were great and I was able to make the settings changes. After years of using Dragon’s, it’s taking me a bit to learn the Voice Mouse commands and screen grid set up. But the more I learn and use it, the more impressed I am and love it!

Thanks much,

Sean

InTag People-

Well, after a few weeks I’ve finally gotten used to navigating with InTags. Especially like the ‘drag to’ ability. But, was gettin frustrated at times when needed to move the mouse from A to B, where B did not have an Intag. So, it was time to expand out Intag/voice computer’s abilities. Not the most computer savvy. Been trying out the “screen grid”. Boy did that make life easier. Its great that you don’t need to show the grid in order to make use of it, just say ‘mouse x @ y’. TUVM.

Bryan

Sean and Brian,

Although the screen grid in Voice Computer is much better than the mouse grid in Dragon, I personally think this technique is kind of old.
In terms of saving your voice, going about it the Intag- and especially the My Intags way, is much better and faster.
Especially since you can create several overlays per application and reach any button, menu, window or link.

Rob

Hi Rob,

That’s interesting, that gives me another area to explore. I don’t use a lot of different applications as in desktop applications. I tend to use more web-based applications. Can you or do you create my intag overlays for those as well?

How frequently do you use Dragon?

Thanks, Sean

Sean,

When it comes to only using web applications it’s a slightly different story. You can only create one overlay per application window. I take it web applications just have one browser window?
If you don’t mind installing several browsers you could use Chrome for web application 1, Firefox for web application 2, Internet Explorer for web application 3 etc. my Intags work in all browsers.
And you can create 200 or 300 (not sure) self-created Intags per window.
Speaking of web applications, I’m sure that additionally the Chrome Intags (chrome extension) Will do a very good job natively.

The true power of overlays lies in installed programs that have more than one window. I have created a demonstration video of Dragon NaturallySpeaking in combination with Band in a Box (the music creation program I use a lot). At the end of the video you can see how I use several overlays with this program. Check it out copy the link to your browser (direct linking doesn’t seem to work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yooNKmi82B4&t=6s

If you have any more questions just ask :wink:

Rob

<edited><editID>Speech1965</editID><editDate>2017-02-11 18:22:00</editDate></edited>

Sean & Rob,

Comparing the VC Screen Grid to the Dragon Screen Grid is like comparing apples and oranges.

The VC Screen Grid is not a function, it simply shows you the X/Y coordinates for the VoiceComputer mouse commands. In other words, it's simply a display feature. It is not intended to be any more than. The VC Screen Grid is simply a 100 x 100 point reference. From the Screen Grid you can simply choose the approximate mouse X/Y coordinates so as to be able to place the mouse reasonably close to where you want using the "mouse X at Y" commands. The Dragon MouseGrid is a feature that allows you "by the numbers" to gradually position the mouse location.

I very seldom use the VC Screen Grid, except for testing purposes and most specifically on multiple monitors.

We've even added one new feature. Users can learn about all the features and capabilities by simply saying "show my InTag commands".
My InTags (overlays) has many powerful capabilities, but it's not without some caveats. Creating overlays in webpages where the "InTags" commands are functional, such is IE 11, Firefox, and Google Chrome (with the Chrome extension) is overkill and generally unnecessary. On the other hand, there are situations where; because we record the location, position, etc., creating overlays may not be particularly effective.
It's a matter of understanding the my InTags commands, as well as when and where to use them.
As much as I like your YouTube demonstration, how many users use the applications in your demonstration. I think you are unique in that area. Nevertheless, it's a very productive and helpful demonstration of the full power of "overlays". To that end, what we need are screen captures of "overlays" that are practical for the average user.

Chuck,

> To that end, what we need are screen captures of “overlays” that are practical for the average user.

Great Idea!

I can’t wait to see your demos and screen captures by the end of the week :slight_smile: