Open Document

In Office 2007, when I use the “Open Document” command I get a dialogue box that I can not navigate with voice. Even when I try to use the VoicePower add-on it does not seem to work. What command should I use to get a dialogue box where I can navigate through the folders by voice. What I have substituted is, “Open My Documents”. Anyone have a better idea?

Bill,

First, I think you’re missing a lot on how VoicePower works. Consider the following:

1. If you say “open document”, the open/save dialog opens with the cursor in the filename text box. From that point, with VoicePower, you say “file list”. This highlights the first folder. From that point, all you have to do is to say one or more words contained in any folder name and Dragon will highlight that particular folder. All you have to do from that point is either say “Open” or simply click on the open button. Unfortunately, if you’re using Windows Vista or Windows 7, Dragon doesn’t understand the “Open” command button because there are multiple options available from a drop-down list. Dragon does not recognize this as a command button because it is a drop list not a command button. You have to open the drop-down list and then say “open”. That’s just the way the open/save dialogs work in Windows Vista and Windows 7. In Windows XP, the “Open” button is just I command button. So, with Windows XP you can simply say open and it will open the folder. Then you can use the same “file list” command to highlight the first file in that folder, from which you can then say any filename or part thereof and Dragon will highlight that entry, after which you can say “Open” again and it will open that file. So, the problem is not that you can’t navigate by voice, it’s that you don’t understand how to navigate by voice with or without VoicePower.

2. VoicePower has very powerful commands for accessing files and folders. The command is “Show my documents”. However, there are several subsets of commands that you need to be aware of when using VoicePower in this manner. If you need some help with this, I would be more than happy to walk you through it. One of things you might want to do is to say “show list help” and review the commands for accessing files, folders, web favorites, tagging and bookmarking items for display in the “show my favorites” folder. VoicePower has some very powerful commands for simple access to whatever files and folders or web favorites you want to access, as well as creating a “My Favorites” folder for storing your frequently used files and folders. If you’re not using this feature of VoicePower, then you are in effect handcuffing yourself.

Let me know if you need some help with this.
Chucker2010-12-28 15:21:30

Chucker

I am having problems with the show my folders (documents commands). A large dark blue window opens at the bottom of my screen with folders/files shown. when I try to navigate through the folders/files I am either left with a blank blue window that I cannot close and it sits at the bottom of my screen or the program crashes and closes.
I am not using the latest version (because I have to decide whether to purchase it) but is this sort of behaviour absent in the latest version and also what are the enhancements over the version that I am using.
By the way, where do I find out which version I am using.
The last version I downloaded was the 64 bit version but I never installed it as I am only using 32 bit versions of Office.

John,

I just found this bug with the last version of VoicePower. Have you looked in your account on the VoiceTeach store for the Setup11_20.zip, which is the latest and greatest. This is the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version will review released sometime in the next week or so. Were following up on a few current bugs, but the bug that you found I found also. That bug is fixed in 11.20 32-bit

Let me know if you need any information or assistance in getting the latest version. I can check your account, which I will anyway, but if you can’t get access to it, let me know.

Will also get you the 64-bit version when it’s ready because will let everybody know. Nevertheless, the bug that you found exists in a 11.10 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Best to get you the update to resolve this particular issue. The other issues are relatively obscure and innocuous.