New user - VC does not behave as expected

Hello everybody,

I really need help with this program. It simply does not work as expected.

A little bit of background. I am learning this software so I can teach someone else to use it. The software, both Dragon and VC was installed by someone at the IT-department at work (school)

Here are a few of the problems I am running in to (there are more, the list is too extensive):

• Windows Start menu has no intags at all “Intag start menu”
  • The VC guide (PDF) which opens in Adobe, does not always let me scroll in the document “page down/up”
  • Chrome does for the most part NOT show any intagst, unless I go to this site (?) then tags appear all over the place
  • Chrome dropdown or overlay menus don’t get intags
  • When Chrome has multiple tabs open, I can’t select open tabs because saying the number will close the tab all together
  • Edge Chromium does for the most part NOT show any intags
  • Sometimes when I select the search bar in browsers, it often opens a dictation window
    *and a host of other things which make it impossible to get any work done

The above problems are not always present. I sometimes have been able to use the intags on websites, but they often dissapear or the microphone simply doesn’t understand what I am saying. I would like to point out that I in no way mumble and I have a clear “american” accent.

The main purpose was to use this in Chrome as all the resources are held within Google, Docs, Sheets, Meet and Drive and to be able to dictate replies to student through the webbased student portals using Dragon. We don’t have much need for working outside a browser really.

So basically I have not been able to use VC at all. Am I doing something completely wrong or is the learning curve so high that I need classes to even operate the simplest things or perhaps my installation is faulty?

I can record video of what I am doing so you can see it, if needed. It’s so important I make this program work, because the person I am doing this for depends on it in order to keep his job. He basically can’t use his arms.

I hope someone can tell me what might be wrong and point me in the right direction.

Thank you!
-Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for writing to us about your challenges with VoiceComputer. We do our best to make VoiceComputer as simple to get started with as possible - but speech control of the Desktop is complicated and there is still a bit of a learning curve.

Based on the issues you listed, the first thing that needs to be done is installing the Chrome Extension for VoiceComputer. See below:

The intags should open without the extension - but - as you see, they are not as reliable.

Regarding your other questions, please see below:

• Windows Start menu has no intags at all “Intag start menu”

Despite our best efforts, the Windows Start Menu does not open with the tags automatically but I recommend using the speech command, “move up one” which will place focus on the Start Menu and the intags will open for navigation of the Start Menu.
You can also use the “Windows Start Menu” command which opens the applications in the Start Menu in the Windows Explorer window - much easier to navigate!

• The VC guide (PDF) which opens in Adobe, does not always let me scroll in the document “page down/up”

Due to design choices in Adobe, their products are not always reliable with Dragon/VC as one would desire. You have two options - use the speech command, “page up/down” or, if you use Adobe Acrobat a lot, what I would recommend is using our My Intag Commands to build your own tags. To learn more, say “Show My Intag Commands” or “Show My Intag Lesson”.

• Edge Chromium does for the most part NOT show any intags

VoiceComputer is compatible with Edge Chromium, but, depending on which web pages you are visiting, there may be an issue or two - whenever you lose the tags (in Chromium or elsewhere) say “Intag That” - this command refreshes the tags.

• Sometimes when I select the search bar in browsers, it often opens a dictation window
    *and a host of other things which make it impossible to get any work done

This is a configuration change that can be made to the Dragon application. We don’t provide application support for Dragon, but, here is a page from Nuance’s website that addresses their Options Window and is well worth a look:
https://www.nuance.com/products/help/dragon/dragon-for-pc/enx/professionalgroup/main/Content/DialogBoxes/options/options_dialog_misc_tab.htm

I hope this information helps you and our other forum visitors. Your feedback is appreciated.

• Marissa