Named Overlays

Would it be possible to have a list of applications that you can customise yourself, that when opened or switch to will not show numbers?

Also when Dragon closes can the numbers automatically close?

I have created several overlays and named them. Can you confirm the exact command to display them. I have tried the following:

Show Overlay

Mphillipson2017-08-14 23:41:36
Mark,
I surmise that you're talking about InTags vs. My InTags. Two things to keep in mind:
1. InTags is designed to automatically refresh numbers. As such, disabling InTags for specific applications would be self-defeating. While anything is possible, this would be a monumental task. Therefore, we wouldn't recommend attempting such on your part. On our part, the way InTags works is not something that would not make sense for us to modify. InTags works the way it does by design.
2. Since it is easier to just say "close numbers" when you don't want numbers displayed in a specific application the KISS approach (i.e., using InTags the way it is designed) is our recommendation. On the other hand, if the InTag numbers cover something that you need to view, it is very simple to say "toggle" to temporarily suspend the display of the InTag numbers, which will automatically refresh after a short pause.
This is one case where Larry Allen's "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." applies.
Keep in mind that when you switch between InTags and overlays, VoiceComputer automatically closes InTags before opening overlays and automatically closes overlays when you switch back to InTags. By design we do not allow both to display simultaneously.

[QUOTE] Also when Dragon closes can the numbers automatically close? [/QUOTE]

I don't understand your question. If you mean exiting Dragon, this needs to be done properly through the VoiceComputer Control Center, which automatically closes numbers. If you're referring to turning the microphone off, I would refer you to the response to your initial question. We do what we do with InTags and my InTags by design. If you exit Dragon properly through VoiceComputer, the numbers are automatically shut down. If you try to exit Dragon outside of the VoiceComputer Control Center, you're asking for trouble and possible disaster. Shutting down Dragon improperly leaves VP.exe open, even though inaccessible, and the numbers will continue to display, but the most significant consequence of improperly closing or exiting Dragon is that you may subject your entire system to a crash. In short, shut down everything properly the way it is designed. Otherwise, be prepared for your system to give you the Jimmy Carter World War III speech "G'd night ya on ya own".

[QUOTE] I have created several overlays and named them. Can you confirm the exact command to display them. I have tried the following:

Show Overlay

[/QUOTE]

Show Overlay isn't Valid, just say the name that you gave to that overlay.
Chucker2017-08-15 04:57:10

Hi Chuck,

I fully understand your rationale regarding linking applications to hide or show numbers. Obviously it's not going to be worth your while unless there are more users that request this.

My situation is I develop applications in Microsoft Access for about 20% of the day. And when I switch to it with an open datasheet there is a long delay before the numbers can display.

As per the following screenshot:

https://www.screencast.com/t/Ht8jTSoIkjyY

A lot of the time I forget to close numbers and fall into this trap of waiting for them to display so I can hide them again.

What's the command to actually close Voice Computer, as I've never managed to find that, it's also not on the shortcut menu in the system tray.

Consequently I close Dragon by saying Close Dragon and always forget to close the numbers first. Then the only way to get rid of the numbers is to start Dragon again.

Thank you for answering the question regarding showing overlays as that is working for me.

Mphillipson2017-08-15 06:41:07

Would it be possible to have a list of applications that you can customise yourself,

> that when opened or switch to will not show numbers?

I think that might be a way that end-users could create a list of applications that, when activated, would close Intags. Please remind me about this in a few weeks. We’re now in the middle of trying to finish up a new release.

In the meanwhile, try the manual way of closing Intags, by pressing ESC twice.

> What’s the command to actually close Voice Computer,

There is no such command. The reason is that you can’t just reopen VoiceComputer after closing it because Dragon seldom refreshes its command lists, so things could get confusing.

If you don’t want to use VoiceComputer commands for a while, just close the Intags and don’t issue any commands.

Mark,

Let me start with the last first. To properly shut down Dragon and VoiceComputer, simply say "open VoiceComputer" or "VoiceComputer Control Center" with the Dragon microphone on. From there you can select any number of options including "Restart Speech", "Shutdown Speech" depending upon what you want to do. There are a number of other options there which are straightforward and clear. In your case you would say "Shutdown Speech", but you can also restart your system, shut down the system, restart Dragon and if Dragon is hung (not responding) or not shutting down properly. These all properly close Dragon and VoiceComputer before executing the desired option, including restarting your computer and/or shutting it down completely (i.e., power off). These are safe, execute properly, and the only way you should be working with VoiceComputer and Dragon.

Second, in order to help you out with the speed of display and/or refresh of the InTags, I need to know what version of Windows you're running, is it properly and currently updated, when your hardware configuration is (i.e., specific CPU make and model, total amount of RAM, etc.). Please don't say Coreâ„¢ i7 because that doesn't tell me anything. What I need to know is, for example, a Coreâ„¢ i7 6700K, 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, etc. Otherwise, the information is insufficient for me to help you out.
What version of Microsoft Office are you using (i.e., Microsoft Access)?
The long and the short of it is that all of this information is critically important standing why InTags is responding slowly. I can see from the screen capture that there are an awful lot of numbers in that screen. Note that the combination of all these factors can determine how quickly or how slowly InTags display and/or refresh themselves.
<edited><editID>Chucker</editID><editDate>2017-08-15 10:42:37</editDate></edited>

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your reply.

Please see the following screenshot regarding my system set up:

https://www.screencast.com/t/HgDx3XhG6g

I would not say that the loading of Intags is necessarily slow it's just a process that does take a small amount of time which I would like to avoid for certain applications like Microsoft Access purely because there are too many clicking points/numbers to make it practicable.

Hello Mark,

From what I can see from your computer specs you don't have a very fast processor. Is it even dual core?
This could be a reason that Intags will take relatively long to load.
Another reason might be that you have to many commands (XML sets) enabled in VC. Enable only those commands you really use.

If you don't want Intags to load in any specific application you could easily create a command such as this with Dragon:

AppBringUp "Your Path and Application"
Wait 2.5 (or more)
HeardWord "hide","numbers"

If you don't want the Intags to pop up while switching back and forth between applications or Explorer windows you could create an Alt/Tab alias like this (DVC):

Switch

SendSystemKeys "{Alt+Tab}"
Wait 1000
HeardWord "hide","numbers"

And if you want to turn them on again with the next Alt/Tab:

Switch 2

SendSystemKeys "{Alt+Tab}"
Wait 1000
HeardWord "show","numbers"

Just a couple of ideas ;-)

Rob

I have a Surface Pro 4 which I now use as my main machine. In addition to that I have a dual core HP machine which runs a lot slower.

Thanks for your ideas on switching to and from applications and disabling Intags. The problem being you cannot issue a hide numbers command until the numbers have shown.

Rob,

I knew that there would be easy ways to do this!

Thanks!
Ron,

Yes, there's nothing like simple DVC commands ;-)
I'm looking forward to the new VC version, how is it coming along?
Mark,

Unless you have enabled the show Intags on startup option, they won't show automatically. However once they are called they will stay with you.
Let's say you have not enabled them on startup. Then you could simply enable or disable them per application with simple DVC commands.

I am curious about the surface Pro 4 how much RAM does it have and what's the processor speed?

Rob

I have 4 GB of RAM as per the processor speed I would have to point you to the picture.

I have now disabled Intags by default as you suggested.
Also when I launch Microsoft Access for the first time it will close numbers using the Heard Word command.
I have also created a Microphone Off command to replace the built-in one which will close the numbers first:
Sub Main
HeardWord “close”,“numbers”
Wait 0.3
SetMicrophone 0
End Sub
Thanks for your help Everybody

Mark,

The amount of RAM on your system is critical to both Dragon and VoiceComputer. 4 GB of RAM will definitely slow down the opening and refreshing of InTags. My suggestion would be to upgrade your system to at least 8 GB of RAM. Assuming that you’re using Windows 10, 4 GB of RAM is going to slow down everything regardless of whether using an SSD or not. Even if you’re not using Windows 10 (i.e., you’re using Windows 7), it’s even more critical because Windows 7 eats 768 MB of RAM from the get-go. If you were to increase your RAM to 8 GB, you probably would find that InTags refresh and/or display at a normal rate, which would make what you’ve done unnecessary.
Rob,
InTags are either on or they’re off. There’s no way to turn them off in one application in have them be on when you switch applications. In other words InTags is a global toggle. They’re either always on or always off everywhere. There is no way to toggle them off in one application and have them remain on in another.