MyIntags with custom names instead of numbers

Hello everyone,

is it possible to create a MyIntag overlay with custom identifiers instead of generic numbers?
I’d like to use my voice to play chess. However, it feels highly unnatural to refer to the fields by random numbers instead of their proper name.
For example, I’d like to announce a move by saying something like “e2” - “e4” instead of “15” - “33”.

Is it possible to create an overlay like that in any way?
Doesn’t have to have a GUI. If it’d need editing some XML file, I’m fine with that.

Thank you and best regards!

Bernhard

is it possible to create a MyIntag overlay with custom identifiers instead of generic numbers?

Not at this time.

You could add alternative spoken forms to the numbers in the xml file but you might have recognition problems with this. So, if you haven’t done this before, be prepared to spend some time on this. (But, feel free to continue to ask questions.)

You could create an overlay for the chess board like this:

and then use an algebraic notation to add alternative spoken forms to the numbers in the xml file

Specifically, you’d add spoken forms to the ‘1to50ad’ list in the showCustomOverlayActive.xml located in the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom directory

like this snippet:

1to50ad
1one
2two
3three
4four
5five
6six
7seven
8eight
1a one
2a two
3a three
4a four
5a five
6a six
7a seven
8a eight
9nine
10ten
11eleven
12twelve
13thirteen
14fourteen
15fifteen
16sixteen
9be one
10be two
11be three
12be four
13be five
14be six
15be seven
16be eight
17seventeen

Restart VoiceComputer after you do this and then test the commands. You may have problems with ‘b’s’ and 'd’s.

The most reliable spoken forms are the ham radio / military alphabet, alpha three, bravo five…

Important: If you accidentally create any syntax errors, VoiceComputer will crash and won’t restart.
Here’s an example of a syntax error
7a seven/item>
a ‘<’ symbol is missing. It should be:
7a seven

So, before you modify an xml file, make a copy of the original xml file. if you have problems, you can attach the xml file to another post, so we can find the syntax error and then you can copy the original over the modified file, so you can continue to use VoiceComputer.

Also, after you finish modifying an xml file, copy the file over the existing file in the
C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerhelpVC_FilesCustom_files directory.

(The Custom_files directory contains the master files. When you make configuration changes, the files from the Custom_files directory overwrite the files in the Custom directory.

Hi Bernard and Ron,

Yes I remember asking similar features a while ago. Writable and resizable tags for instance. Changing the colors would also be nice.
You could then relatively easily create your own interface with certain programs, covering up buttons you don’t like, make others better to see etc. would definitely be a complete breakthrough :wink:

Rob

Naming My Intags would probably create a lot of issues.

For one, names and alphanumeric are NOT nearly as reliable as numeric names.

IMHO, it would create a nightmare of support issues. Users would complain that our product doesn't work when the problem would be with the names they use.

...resizable tags for instance. Changing the colors would also be nice.

As you know, you can resize and change the colors of Intags and My Intags. But, you're asking that you'd be able to resize and recolor individual tags, right?

We can consider that. First, we'll be working on letting users combine Intags and My Intags on a single screen.

Hello Ron,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I regularly have to edit XML, so that shouldn’t be a hurdle.
I’ll try experimenting with the spoken forms and see how that goes recognitionwise.

Best regards!
Bernhard

"First, we’ll be working on letting users combine Intags and My Intags on a single screen"

Ron,

That sounds like a very interesting development. Currently Intags and MyIntags kind of exclude each other if they’re running simultaneously.
The possibility to create your custom sized tags (different shapes and sizes) and then be able to type on them would be great.
You could then sort of create your own interface, simplify some complex interfaces (if there’s buttons or menus you never use). Probably also good for people with eye problems. You could actually create simple mouse position commands for your created buttons. You could make them either with VoiceComputer or Dragon.

But one step at a time, looking forward to it!

Rob