Microphone command issues

I use three microphones (soon to be 4 when I receive my
Sennheiser SD Pro 1):

<p ="Msonormal">          1. Jabra 9470<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">          2. Andrea WNC
1500 (purchased from KnowBrainer)<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal">          3. Audio Technica
COM1 (purchased from KnowBrainer)<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span></p>

<p ="Msonormal">With the Jabra 9470 I can open VoiceComputer with  “VoiceComputer
control center.” Also, each of the four VoiceComputer microphone commands work
flawlessly. None of these commands works with the other two microphones.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">I thought that the “VoiceComputer control center” command
would work notwithstanding what particular user you had open when you closed
VoiceComputer and KnowBrainer. It does work with whatever user I close with the
Jabra 9470.</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span></p><p ="Msonormal"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">I tried the commands with Ctrl button as well. Nada, zilch, bagel, ....</span></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Any thoughts?<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span></p>

<p ="Msonormal">As always, much appreciated.<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span></p>

<p ="Msonormal">Jim<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
We'll have a beta of an updated VC Microphone within two weeks. We'll try to get as many beta testers as possible so we track down problems like you've had.

Ron,

I would like to be a part of the beta community. I have not had any luck with the microphone either. When I enable it, somehow it keeps opening and closing voice computer while I’m in the middle of sessions… I know it has got to do with something I am saying while I am at work. Also, is the chrome add-on for voice computer available yet?

I would love to be part of the beta community as well.

It would allow me to brag to my family that someone thinks my opinion is worthwhile!

Much appreciated,

Jim

Gary et al.,

Gary, what version of VoiceComputer are you using “say show VoiceComputer version” and it will tell you.

One thing to keep in mind is that Dragon NaturallySpeaking attempts to identify first whether what you are saying is a command and then assumes that it is dictation if it doesn’t find any commands related to what you said. One of the ways that this happens, and usually only when the Dragon microphone is on, is when you dictate in single words or very short phrases. For example, if you’re dictating and you say “VoiceComputer”, or something that can be interpreted as such without using it in a sentence or phrase, it’s very likely to spawn The VoiceComputer Control Center. While we can, as Ron indicates, make certain modifications to the VC microphone, we can’t stop Dragon from interpreting what you say as a command. Dragon searches through possible commands until it finds something that it thinks you set. Remember that Dragon is a very stupid program. It doesn’t understand what words mean and it doesn’t know what you meant to say. It’s a collection of mathematical algorithms and it can very easily get something that you say wrong in some very bizarre ways that don’t seem to make sense except in the context of the fact that Dragon doesn’t understand everything 100%. Whatever it finds regardless of the reason is what it executes. Since commands are assumed out-of-the-box, what you’re experiencing is not uncommon. It can happen with anything, not just the VC microphone.

Also, remember that when you have the Dragon microphone on, it’s Dragon that’s listening. When you have the microphone off, it’s the VC microphone that’s listening. So, if you get a spontaneous spawning of the VoiceComputer Control Center when the Dragon microphone is on, blame Dragon. If the spontaneous spawning of the VoiceComputer Control Center occurs when the Dragon microphone is off, then it’s VC microphone that’s doing it.

In most cases, when the Dragon microphone is on, you can avoid this spontaneous spawning of the VoiceComputer Control Center by simply ensuring that you dictate in complete phrases without pausing.Chucker2015-01-26 07:56:00

Chuck,

I'm using 13. 5 . 1.

The issue is, if I am enable microphone to be in the startup folder, it's hearing my voice no matter what I am working on. It then proceeds to open and close either voice computer or Dragon. If I use, "configure voice computer" and tell it not to open microphone in the startup folder, I don't get that intrusion.

Gary,

What microphone are you using (i.e., microphone/soundcard)?

If you boot up your system and you have neither Dragon or VoiceComputer loaded, does it still happen?

There is a known issue with built-in microphones in laptops. Were trying to work this through, but it is these types of microphones that are the source of the problem versus the VC microphone itself.

Hi Chuck,

I use an external microphone of course. It’s a sensheiser. However, you may have hit on something. Is it possible that the internal machine microphone is picking up my voice even when I have the Dragon microphone in sleep state? If that’s the case, how do I turn that off?

Don’t waste your time on the current VC Microphone. We’ll be working on the issues as soon as we can. But, it’ll still be a couple of weeks because we’re swamped.