Losing Connection to Chrome Extension

I have a client using a pre 13.5 (13.x) copy of VoiceComputer. Currently she has to frequently restart Chrome (or more accurately the NumbersEngine extension) due to the NumbersEngine extension stopping working. She gets a message stating ‘Could not connect to the VoiceComputer Chrome Extension’.

Shutting down Chrome isn’t enough because on her system the processes for Chrome, and for all the Chrome extensions currently in use, remain running in the background. This means she has to go into Task Manager and end all the processes of which there are several. The processes all show the same name (chrome.exe) so as far as I can see there’s no way to identify which relates to the NumbersEngine extension, otherwise she could just terminate the one process.

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same problem and has found a better solution. Typically she has to go through the process 3 or 4 times a day, but the other day had to do so about 10 times. i guess the frequency will depend on how much time she’s spending working in Chrome, however her company uses Google as their main platform for word processing, email, intranet, etc.

The plan is to upgrade to VC 13.5.x soon so the new Intag Chrome extension may resolve it but that’s anybody’s guess.

Roger

Roger,

We no longer support the old NumbersEngine. It was our first release of a Chrome extension. The ‘Intag Chrome’ extension fixes all the issues with the NumbersEngine and is a free upgrade. However the Intag Chrome extension only works with more recent releases of VoiceComputer since we had to upgrade both VoiceComputer and the NumbersEngine to get rid of the problems you discuss.

Next week we will be releasing a major upgrade of VoiceComputer. Soon after that, we’ll be releasing an upgrade to our Intag Chrome extension.

I understand that you’ll be upgrading your client next week. In the meanwhile, have the client press the ‘Esc’ key to close the NumbersEngine and then press 'alt+~" or just ‘~’ to see if that reactivates it.

Ron,

Hopefully the Intag Chrome extension will resolve it then.

I’m aware that pressing the ‘Esc’ key will close Intags. Is that effectively the same as closing the extension then?

Should “alt+~” or “~” display the numbers/Intags? Nothing visible happens when I try it.

Roger

I’m aware that pressing the ‘Esc’ key will close Intags. Is that effectively

> the same as closing the extension then?

Not quite. The extension is still running.

> Should “alt+~” or “~” display the numbers/Intags? Nothing visible happens when I try it.

More precisely “alt+`” should toggle the extension on and off.
When I use those keyboard shortcuts 'Esc' will close Intags but neither "Alt+~" nor "Alt+'" do anything, ie. Intags aren't displayed (or hidden) and the Intag Chrome extension is not disabled/enabled.

Your client will just have to upgrade to our current releases. That was our fix for the problems you’ve had.