List box no longer accepting dictated text

When I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 on the computer, I was able to dictate right into the list box search box as well as naming tags. Now, all of a sudden, I cannot. I have to either resort to using Dragon’s dictation box or the KB insert command. Not that this is a real problem for me. I just want to know if something has deteriorated on my system. Thanks.

Voiceman,

This definitely may have something to do with deterioration of your user profile. There's all sorts of reasons why this can happen and it's not always easy to get track of what caused it.You may want to create a new User profile which is rather simple. This usually solves the problem.
In general using the native Dragon Dictation box isn't a very good idea Because you won't be home in time for supper and the KnowBrainer insert command only works for short sections of text. You may want to check out the Speech Productivity Dictation box which is at least four times faster than any other dictation box. The additional power commands enhance things even more. Check out the link in my signature.

Rob
Speech19652018-01-19 20:54:03

My original problem going back a couple of months was also the inconsistent referral of Dragon to the various dictation systems. Outlook 365 is especially temperamental.

Now I have quickly become a power user of both Voicecomputer and Speech Productivity. The two together get over many limitations of the extant system and the design logic of both is impeccable.

It's almost better to become resigned to using Rob's Dictation Box which appears consistently in the middle of the screen. This becomes a new dependable work area for fast working. Unfortunately, Rob's Box is not an Intag-free zone: it introduces the numbers Intag numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 upon opening. "1" is the same as won and one. "2" is the same as to, two and too and 4 is the same as four, for and fore. And any numbered lists cause drastic things to happen.

The safest way of working is to say Dictation Box, wait at least five seconds and say Hide Numbers. This creates a temporary Intage-free zone during dictation. The Intags appear to repopulate automatically once the Dictation Box closes.
Stephen,

I never noticed that the native Dragon dictation box isn't being intagged but you are right it isn't.
It's a bit of shame to wait five seconds after the SP dictation box has opened, that would make it one second slower than Dragon's native dictation box and that would render my program useless for about 50% (give or take LOL)

Please alter both SP Dictation box (DVC) commands:

Dictation box

AppBringUp "C:Program Files (x86)Speech Productivitydictation box.exe"
Wait 500
HeardWord "hide","numbers"

Transfer

SendKeys "{Alt+f4}"
Wait 250
HeardWord "show","numbers"

Works on my system with a minimal delay. You can edit the wait times a little (make them as short as possible if you want to maintain speed).

Rob

<edited><editID>Speech1965</editID><editDate>2018-01-29 12:39:19</editDate></edited>

Thank you, Rob.

Again, this is a great help. I’ve done some stress testing using Dictation Box, Speak and Send during the last hour. This is a great improvement helping to provide seamless operation between Voicecomputer and Speech Productivity.

The Intag free zone for the duration of dictation is most helpful. Nuance may prefer us to dictate continuously but certain business related work requiring precise use of language can cause extended thought and hesitation: this is when a dictated word can be interpreted as a command.

There can be a few timing issues with these new adjustments. Sometimes the words “hide numbers” appear in the dictated text.

Try saying:

Dictation box [pause] now I’m going to dictate. Vary the pause length from zero in half second in second intervals.

Regards, Stephen

Thank you, Rob, I am learning from your excellent instruction. The problem with your command is that the words "Hide numbers" can be typed into the Dictation Box. The following command creates the necessary compatibility between your Dictation Box Large and Intags whether they are displaying or not. I call the command "Biggie":

AppBringUp "C:Program Files (x86)Speech Productivitydictation box largedictation box.exe"
Wait 1000
HeardWord "hide","numbers"
Wait 500
HeardWord "select","hide","numbers"
Wait 500
HeardWord "delete"

The transfer command is not required because Intags revert to the correct previous condition when the Dictation Box is closed.

Nimbargent2018-02-11 07:08:35
That's a good workaround Stephen. It's strange however that "hide numbers" is being interpreted by Dragon as text. This must have something to do with the underlying application, Outlook 365?
I have a similar problem with music program Band in a Box. It has a lead sheet window where you can insert chords. Sometimes when I issue a specific voice command it is not being deployed but being typed out as text in one of the chord sheet bars.

I have two additional ideas:

You can also stop Intags with a double ESC (repeating a SendSystemKeys command) before the SP Dictation box is launched. This command may solve the problem:

SendSystemKeys "{ESC}"
SendSystemKeys "{ESC}"
AppBringUp "C:Program Files (x86)Speech Productivitydictation box largedictation box.exe"

A different approach:
Of course I prefer to solve this within the application itself (without additional Dragon commands).
I made a Dictation box 'Intag' version for you. This will toss out any unwanted contents upon launching (after 2000 ms). Should be long enough for the 'hide numbers' text to appear which will then be deleted promptly. Starting with a 'clean box' so to speak.
Of course the amount of milliseconds could probably be shorter (1500 or so) so that the procedure remains at least twice as fast as the native Dragon dictation box.
If this works you could leave out the last part of your command:

Wait 500
HeardWord "select","hide","numbers"
Wait 500
HeardWord "delete"

I will send you the version and then we can see which solution works best.

Rob
Thank you, Rob, for your great support as always from Speechproductivity.

Intags and the Speechproductivity tools work extremely well together with just a little refinement being necessary. Nuance tells us how we should dictate: we are supposed to be fluent and speak continuously. The reality is that complex writing usually involves hesitation and thought. The large Speechproductivity box in the centre of the screen, presented in an uncluttered manner with large text, is a virtual sandpit area in which dictation accidents cannot lead to harm or embarrassment.

I have had several experiences where speaking the word "send", for instance, has had dire consequences. The necessity for an Intag-free dictation zone arises from problems caused with saying 1 (same as one, won), 2 (same as two, to, too), 3 (possibly, too close to free), 4 (same as for, four, fore). Number interpretation in error can cause work to be lost.

Whereas I originally had the preference to type directly into various applications, with the use of your tool I have a preference now for doing all of my dictating within the sandpit area.
Nimbargent2018-02-13 04:16:20