Is closing VoiceComputer/NaturallySpeaking now a t

When I give the command open VoiceComputer and then say “shutdown speech” after probably at least 90 seconds if not longer I get a no other menu which I cannot get a snapshot of. It has two selections. It is definitely a VoiceComputer menu. I have to click one of the selections. The menu has something to do I think with NaturallySpeaking saving the information to the user.

Am I making sense?

Thanks so much.

Jim

Perfectly confusing message about a perfectly confusing menu. :slight_smile:

The menu you’re speaking about (which should take no more than 30 seconds to display), prompts you to choose:

Quick Restart Shutdown
(Shutdown and/or restart WITHOUT saving the user profile maintenance (if needed.)

or

Normal restart / Shutdown
(Shutdown and/or restart AND save the user profile maintenance (if needed.)

The VoiceComputer utility is simply trying to CLEANLY shutdown Dragon and save your user profile. But, with every 10-20 shutdowns, Dragon 11 and 12 prompt you to save your user profile a SECOND time for what it calls User Profile Maintenance. VoiceComputer is asking whether you would like to shut down the computer now and get home or get to your meeting (By choosing Quick Restart) or do you want to wait for Dragon to perform User Profile Maintenance which can take a minute, several minutes or even longer (by choosing Normal restart).

RonK2013-07-07 11:33:59

Thank you, Ron.

I think I got it.

Much appreciated,

Jim

is the only to choose between the two is with a mouse click??

Jim

Jim,

No, all VoiceComputer dialogs our speech-enabled. That is, they use Dragon’s Say-What-You-See (Tracking). All you have to do in this dialog is to say either “quick startup shutdown” or “normal startup shutdown”. The “/” does not have to be spoken. Obviously, the microphone has to be on.

Thank you, Chucker:

I will check it out tonight when I shut everything down and go home to my typical 9 o’clock dinner.

Hopefully, you eat earlier.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Chucker:

The first command to shut down is recognized. However when I get to the menu where I need the command “quick startup shutdown” it is recognized as “click restore down.”

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated,

Jim

Jim,

I’m not sure why this isn’t working for you but the good news is that I’ve eliminated this step in the next release.

Jim,

First, always make sure that the focus is on the dialog box. If it’s not, then Dragon will execute whatever command it finds (BestMatch).

Second, VoiceComputer commands in any of our dialogs are extremely reliable. What happened to you is extremely unusual.

My guess is that the dialog box did not have focus, which is very typical of Dragon in terms of Miss recognizing commands.