Intags - Dragging items to another screen

I frequently receive emails with attachments that I would like to save down to the network. The most convenient way for me to do this is to open the relevant directory in Windows Explorer in a separate window, usually on a separate screen, and then drag the attachment to that window. I can’t figure out how to do this with intags. I get to the point of shift clicking on the attachment, but then after that I’m stuck. Is there a solution?

RonK2015-10-22 10:18:02

This works with a custom overlay that covers both screens

I’ve set this up with my email program occupying one full-screen and then my various tools, network locations and folders occupying the second screen.

You just need to make sure that you don’t have a three or more screen system where the behavior on specific screens is going to be depended upon the interrelationship of the Windows screen assignment and Windows versus the EDID and screen assignment from your graphics cards. You can see one of my earlier posts about that edge case.

Phil Schaadt

Sounds like a kludge. I have a 3 screen system at work (where I usually work) and a 4 screen system at home. The work system is a laptop screen and 2 identical monitors. At home, I have a desktop with 4 separate screens all of different sizes, one of which is in portrait mode. So it could work at work if I create the custom overlay for the 2 external monitors.

Maybe it will be clearer to me once I create my first custom overlay. I never heard of such a thing until I read your message and it sounds overwhelming, but maybe it isn’t.

Thanks for the answer though. I was hoping there was an easier answer, but glad to know there is one, and again, appreciate the fact that you shared.

You could enable our “Show My Document” commands and then make favorites directories.

This will let you save attachments to your favorite directories in one step.

However, my code has a problem making favorites of network drives. There’s a work around for this problem but instead of fixing the problem, I’m working on a better way. I’m trying to integrate My Favorite directory commands with Intags. Once I do this, we probably won’t keep our old “Show My documents” commands much longer.

We’ll be releasing the new version soon, but we still have one more thing that we need to finish. Could be a week. Could be three.

At first I thought that creating CustomOverlays would be a hassle but it is actually pretty simple. I think I’m up to about 15 or 20 of them right now.

I use several really painful custom email programs required by my customers and most of those now have custom overlays with 75 250 intags. being a quantitative kind of guy I think you’ll need to use the program along with the specific action two or three dozen times to break even on the effort which is approximately at least once a day for a month.

there are a few quirks but the CustomOverlays have really increased my productivity.

for some purposes like complex network diagrams, I even have CustomOverlays that extend across three screens.

Phil Schaadt

OK, I’ve figured out how to create overlays, but not how to reshape an overlay so that it covers 2 screens. What’s the trick?RonK2015-10-22 10:17:49

all I do is make sure the monitors are enabled, click a blank space on the Desktop and say "Create Overlay"
Phil Schaadt

How does one enable a monitor?

PS Why do all of my posts end in the following text: < id="_npfido" =“applicationpfido” height=“0” style=“line-height: 1.4;”>
JohnPrz2015-10-21 16:07:35

I have two graphics cards both Nvidia and I have six monitors (two large graphics monitors that I use as interactive whiteboards for web meetings which are usually disabled in the Windows Control Panel but not at the graphics card level)

if you look at one of my previous posts, when there are four or more monitors on a system the mapping of the intags can be unpredictable depending on a rather hard to predict interaction between the way that the graphics cards identify in number the monitors as opposed to the simpler way that the Windows OS numbers the monitors…

I have tracked this down to the way that the monitors are numbered at the BIOS/Nvidia card level which can diverge from the way that the monitors are numbered in the Windows Control Panel…

If you right-click your desktop and then click on “Screen Resolution” you will see the Windows mapping of your multi-monitor system. Make sure that the configuration of the thee monitors, as numbered maps to the monitors you will use to create the custom overlay. The custom overlay will be created across all of the monitors that are enabled.

If you only want the overlay to be created across two monitors you will need to disable the left or right most monitors in this Windows control panel.

Phil Schaadt

Oh, OK, you meant in Windows. Yes, all of my monitors are always all enabled. When I create a new overlay however (by saying “create overlay”) it only covers one of the monitors (whichever one has a currently active window in it). What am I doing wrong?

John

RonK2015-10-22 10:18:18

The honest answer is beats me other than you probably have had four monitors connected tier system at least at one time or another.

I’ve tried this now on three different systems with different monitors, unmatched sizes and different graphic cards. I get the overlay on all active windows including the machine that has an external screen connected to a laptop.

Phil Schaadt

I’ll ask about this.

If you edit your posts, can you delete the extra text?

Fixed! I went in to my profile and changed some of the default settings for signature and now it seems to be gone. Don’t know if what I did fixed it or if you did something on your end as well.JohnPrz2015-10-22 03:37:48

Phil - This morning before opening any programs other than my speech programs (I shut down every night), I tried to create an overlay and lo and behold, the overlay spans all 3 monitors! I’ll try it occasionally throughout the day to see if I can figure out a pattern to when a new overlay does not span all of the monitors. This is encouraging though. Now that I understand what they are, overlays are pretty cool.

Ron - Scratch that, the issue is back even when I edit a post. Don’t know what’s causing it.

RonK2015-10-22 10:14:15

I just deleted the extra text in some of your posts.

Are you cutting and pasting your posts from another application? It seems that it’s picking up some html or xml tags.

You could create another forum user to see whether it’s a user specific problem.

John,

Keep in mind that VoiceComputer does not support 4 monitors, we only support 3.

Second, if you click on the desktop on monitor one, and say "create overlay", it will span all of your monitors. However, you need to make sure that whatever application you want to create an overlay for on any given monitor must be open on such.

Third, "My InTags" (overlays) fix the size of the selected screens/applications. So, when you number your application, it will put it up on the second or third monitor in the size that you originally specified. I don't usually use that approach because I do it by application, which always keeps the application size the same as when I create the overlay. However, if you overlay the desktop area on all your monitors and then number an application or window, the next time you open that application it may not be sized correctly for the numbers that you create because the overlay is covering the entire desktop. So, I seldom create overlays except in a specific application on specific monitor so that I can always ensure that the numbers line up correctly.

You can try doing what Phil suggests, but just keep in mind how overlays work.

Got it. I’m only running this at work right now, which is a 3 monitor system. And I think I now understand how the overlays work. My issue was trying to drag e-mail attachments from open Outlook message to directories open in Windows Explorer on another screen, and I think I can always have the message on screen 3 and the directories on screen 2. Haven’t actually set it up yet, but that’s the idea. When I get a free minute, I’ll experiment with this. It seems one giant screen would work better for VoiceComputer (the Apple model), but I do like having separate discrete tasks on different windows.

Incidentally, I seem to be getting some interesting interaction between VoiceComputer and KnowBrainer. When I’m in Google Chrome (with the Intag extension) and I say “show intags” I get the KnowBrainer numbers, except none of the numbers work. In fact, sometimes the KnowBrainer numbers pop up for no reason, again, just in Chrome. I would have assumed it was purely a KnowBrainer issue except for the fact that they come up when I ask for intags (KnowBrainer’s terminology is “Display numbers”, so no confusing the 2). I should probably also post this to the KnowBrainer forums, and will do so when I get a chance.

< id="_npfido" =“applicationpfido” height=“0”>JohnPrz2015-10-27 06:41:30

Presently I wouldn’t bother posting this on the KnowBrainer forum because a new version of KnowBrainer will be coming out in the next week or two.

I have been beta testing this release and the most important thing relative to running KnowBrainer along with voice computer is the ability to selectively disable both groups of KnowBrainer commands as well is individual commands.

Because I have so many custom KnowBrainer commands, right now, I am using KnowBrainer as my primary command authoring add-on and I’m using VoiceComputer pretty much only for the Intag technology which has become completely critical for my workflow. By disabling selected groups of commands in both VC and KB I have both of them working quite nicely together on my systems

I’m waiting for Ron to catch up on some of his backlog to try to figure out why some of my custom overlay numbers do not fire reliably. Is this would be a an absolute prerequisite for me to even consider an experiment with replacing any KnowBrainer commands.

Phil Schaadt

Good to know; thanks!

< id="_npfido" =“applicationpfido” height=“0”>