Installing the new version of VC

I realize that I have asked this question before. However, even following the instructions, it didn’t work for me. I want to install the latest version of VC without losing any configuration data. The last time I followed Ron’s instructions, something went wrong, and I lost all of my custom overlays. At times, I am reticent to upgrade for fear that I might have to do my overlays again. What is a surefire method for this procedure? Thanks.

Surefire procedure.

None of this should be necessary but since something went wrong before:

1. Send me a copy of your CustomOverlays.xml file located in C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer

2. Make a backup of the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeach directory.
Select the directory, press Ctrl+c and then Ctrl+v
You should see a VoiceTeach - Copy directory.

3. After I confirm that I received your CustomOverlays.xml file

Then follow the normal procedure

4. Uninstall your old release
5. reboot your computer
6. Install the new release

And in the meantime, let me know whether you just want to restore your Overlays or whether you also wish to restore Voice Shortcuts, etc.

Voiceman,

In addition to Ron's advice: do you happen to use Windows 10? If so, there may be a Windows ownership issue involved. I found that copying back the (edited) CustomOverlays.xml (which I back up on a regular basis) to the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer directory sometimes loses newly created overlays.
After I took explicit ownership of the program data directory and repeated the procedure everything worked fine.

Download the take ownership reg file here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip

This will add an extra item to your context menu: Take Ownership. You may have to restart your computer for this change to take effect.
Next, right-click on the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeach directory and select: Take Ownership (this will take one or two seconds).
Then copy the CustomOverlays.xml to a safe place. Preferably do this without VC running.

Now you can uninstall the old version and install the new version. After the new version is installed (and this is the most important step) you will have to take ownership of the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeach directory again.
Now you can paste back your saved CustomOverlays.xml and then restart VoiceComputer.

NB: being logged in as an administrator an having explicit ownership of program folders apparently are two different things In Windows 10.

Hope that works.

Rob