How do I upgrade and keep previous settings

Hello Ron,

<p ="msonormal"="">I like the latest update, you guys keep up the good work!  </p><p ="msonormal"="">What is the best way to install the latest update (VoiceComputer 2019, version 1.25),
whilst keeping your previous Voicecomputer configuration settings i.e. overlays,
monitor settings etc.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="msonormal"=""><o:p><br></o:p></p><p ="msonormal"=""><o:p>I work with 2 monitors and p</o:p>reviously, after installing the latest update,  I used to copy my backup of my previous
versions Voicecomputer (C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputer) folder onto
the NEW Voicecomputer folder.  This used to
work for Overlays settings, but not for 2 * monitor setup. </p>

<p ="msonormal"=""><o:p> </o:p></p>

<p ="msonormal"="">But now, when I do that, I successfully have my old Overlays but no longer have the latest improvements
from VoiceComputer version 1.25 e.g <o:p></o:p></p>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="mso-pagination:widow-orphan;mso-hyphenate:auto;  :#FBFBFD"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">**************<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="mso-pagination:widow-orphan;mso-hyphenate:auto;  :#FBFBFD"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">This release improves the Task #,  Task #
<left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> commands and the place Window
<left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> commands, bringing you the
fastest control of the Windows Desktop ever.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="mso-pagination:widow-orphan;mso-hyphenate:auto;  :#FBFBFD"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">The release also improves how our Voice Mouse commands and our screen
grid work with our Intag….<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p ="msonormal"="">***************<o:p></o:p></p><p ="msonormal"="">P.S Also, when you use the 'Place window on <1/2>' command, VC no longer does an auto 'maximise' command after.  Pls bring this back as current Overlays are out of sync as a result.    </p>

<p ="msonormal"=""><o:p> </o:p><span style="font-family: Garamond, serif; font-size: 12pt;">Thanks </span></p>
<edited><editID>thetrad9</editID><editDate>2019-02-06 05:05:24</editDate></edited>
>But now, when I do that, I successfully have my old Overlays but no longer have the latest improvements from

Excellent point. One option is to split the settings.ini file into two files. But, I need to think about this.

Right now the best option is to Reconfigure for two monitors.
Another option is, with VoiceComputer running,
a. Copy the [TWO MONITORS] section from the previous settings.ini file to the new one,
b. set mouse2=1 and CHANGECONFIGURATION=1.
c. Restart Speech

> Also, when you use the 'Place window on <1/2>' command, VC no longer does an auto 'maximise'
> command after. Pls bring this back as current Overlays are out of sync as a result.

Another good point that I have to think about.
Are you saying that your previous overlays don't work or that it's a little messy because when you issue an overlay command, the window is resized.

The new commands are simpler (which I always like!).
New Overlays should work better with the new full-screen Windows instead of the old maximized ones. (When we first developed Overlays, we had problems with maximized windows because of the way Windows handles them.)

Hello Ron,

> Another good point that I have to think about.
> Are you saying that your previous overlays don’t work or that it’s a little messy because when you issue > an overlay command, the window is resized.

What I’m saying is
(1)this issue has returned :Voicecomputer doesn’t place window in maximise mod
Even if I can revive my Overlays, this issue renders all of them unusable 'cus they would be all out of wack 'cus they’re configure for maximised screens & saying after every <Place Window…> command is tedious .

(2)Is it possible to temporarily have the command fire after every <Place Window left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> command, or can I setup a custom command somehow ?

(3) I’ve spent a considerable amount of time configuring & ‘naming’ loads of Overlays. I have backups of all my relevant XML files. How can I have them work with my latest VoiceComputer 1.25 installation ?

(4) Would be great to have a ‘Backup Overlays’ & ‘Import Overlays’ option in the VoiceComputer configuration menus.

Thanks
Soti

thetrad92019-02-07 06:21:45
> (2)Is it possible to temporarily have the command fire after every <Place Window
> left/center/right/Monitor one/Monitor two> command, or can I setup a custom command somehow ?

Yes, by editing the positioncmds.xml command file. I'll do this for you within the next day and send it to you.
(But, I still have to test the maximize option before I decide which is the better command to distribute. )

> Would be great to have a 'Backup Overlays' & 'Import Overlays' option in the VoiceComputer
> configuration menus.

the Backup / Import VoiceComputer's configuration files backs up the overlays but I'll add Backup Overlays as a submenu. Also, need to backup configuration fro 2 and 3 monitors.

Hi Ron,

Yes the Backup and restore settings does deal with overlays, but not with overlay ‘Names’. Please add this as a feature.

Please Bring back command for when PC loses focus to turn ‘off’ Intag grid entirely. At the moment you can only turn the grid off for a specified number of seconds etc. I like it to turn off grid completely in this situation so that I can start fresh again using the task 1/2… Commands to choose the window I’m working with.

Best
Soti

Will have an update in a few hours…

Released VC 2019 v1.30

Yes the Backup and restore settings does deal with overlays, but not with overlay ‘Names’. Please add this as a feature.
> Done

Please Bring back command for when PC loses focus to turn ‘off’ Intag grid entirely.
>Done