help with VoiceComputer configuration

I was trying to save a screenshot of how I save the file I wanted to be able to access with VoiceComputer figuration. I cannot figure out how to do it on this forum. Nonetheless, the file is saved exactly as it was VoicePower version 11. It worked fine in that version. the file name is " dictation."

Now when I either give the command “open from dictation folder or open from my dictation folder; look in dictation folder or look in my dictation folder” the command simply prints to the Word document.

If I close the word document, nothing happens when I give any of the commands.

I really miss this function.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Email me your settings.ini file in the My DocumentsVoiceComputer folder and I’ll test it out.
Ron
In a recent release I changed and simplified the way you create favorite folders. To create a favorite folder, use the "Show My Documents" to navigate to the folder you wish to make a folder, then create a favorite folder by saying "Tag x" where x is the number of the folder.
Once you create a favorite folder, you can quickly access the folder by various means.
1) You can view your list of favorites by saying "Show Favorites"
2) You can open a favorite folder by saying "Display Tag "
3) You open from and save to your favorite folder from any application by saying "Open from folder", "Save to folder."
4) If you're using Outlook, you can insert an attachment from your favorite folder by saying "Insert file from folder.
Since the way you create favorites has changed, your old favorites won't work. But, you will be able to import the favorites you create now into future releases.
For more on creating favorites. Say, "Show File Guide" and then "View Favorites."
The "View Save to Folder" section is obsolete and will be updated in the next release.

Ron,
When I say “show my documentsMark” I get a list of various things which are of no use to me. I need to get to my network drive, and my D Dr., to get to the folders I need.
However, I went to Plan B. When I gave the command “show my favorites” everything worked perfectly.
Thanks so much,
Jim

< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“22”>

Jim,

If you want to see all of the current commands in VoiceComputer 12, simply say "show list help".

If you want to navigate to your network drives, say "show my computer".

The VoiceComputer 12 list help will give you any information that you need relative to what it is that you're trying to do. Nonetheless, take a tip from Herbert Hoover.

"About the time we can make the ends meet, somebody moves the ends." Herbert Hoover

Yes, we moved the ends.Wink

Chucker2012-10-05 07:51:38

Chucker:
The command you suggested also works for me.
Enjoy your weekend,
Jim
< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“64”>

Chucker:
After installing the 12. 2. 3 version of voice computer I’m having trouble with the configure with the command “show my computer.” My network drive does not show its folders. It does when I open it from the little icon at the bottom of the screen that shows files being held in a little file holder.
Any idea?
Thanks,
Jim
Addition at 5:10 PM: I at least found my folders on my network drive. I will now see if the command the ploy. I will let you know either way. Thank you.
6:49 PM: the commands do deploy but only from a document.
7:39 PM: I just tried to save a memorandum to my dictation folder on the server. The file had originally been in a folder on a local drive. That local drive will still open. Voice computer saved it to the open local drive. In other words, it cannot open the network drive.

< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“16”>

< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“16”>
< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“16”>Trionalaw2012-10-17 16:40:24

Jim,

There are three ways you can do this:
You can map the network drive and then use “Show My Computer” to make your network folder a favorite.
You can create a favorite network folder by editing both the favorites.xml file and the settings.ini file.
(I can show you how. Takes a minute.)
Wait for us to add this capability within the next month or two.
Be glad to help!

Ron:
Can you map more than one folder on a network drive? With Windows 8 I do not think I could. However, I could be wrong.
I guess I would rather go with option two. Working with folders with VoiceComputer saves me time, in little increments that add up over the course of a week.
Is it something you can do byusing the forum or do you need my phone number?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

To create favorite folders on your network drives. (Once you get the hang of this, it only takes 30 seconds!)
1) Create a favorite of a folder on your local drive.
(For example, “Show My Documents”, “Tag 5”, give the favorite a name, and then say “Bookmark and Save.)
2) Copy the full path of your networked folder from Windows Explorer.
3) First make a backup copy of the settings.ini file in the ‘My documentsvoicecomputer’ folder and then open the settings.ini file.
4) Search for the name you gave the favorite and you’ll find two lines that refer to it in the [Runtime] section.
In this example where I created a “network” favorite, this is what it looks like:
dir4=directory4network
directory4=C:UsersOffice Management.Dell-i7-PCDocuments2011
dir4 directory 4 refers to the local directory. Just delete the local drive location and replace it with the full network folder location, so you’ll have something like this:
dir4=directory4network
directory4= OfficemanagemencUsersOffice ManagementDocumentsDemonstrations
5) Save and close the settings.ini file.
6) First make a backup copy of the favorites.xml file in the ‘My DocumentsVoiceComputerTags’ directory and then open the favorites.xml file with Notepad
7) Search for the name you gave the favorite and you’ll find the name under tag phrases as in:

8) Replace the local drive location with the full network folder location (being careful not to delete the quote marks around the path name), as in:

<directory source=“OfficemanagemencUsersOffice ManagementDocumentsDemonstrations” />
9) Save the file and your favorite is ready to use.
Let me know if you have any questions. If you have problems, email me the two files.

Ron,
Extremely frustrated. When I give the “show my documents” command it opens to my local drive documents which has the various folders,including VoiceComputer invoice power I mentioned in previous replies.
So I gave the command to open my computer, found my local drive, D, and made a new folder called “dictation redux”. I tagged it and saved it as dictation.
When I went to the settings.ini file and opened it I found only one reference to the folder I made on my local drive D. This is the reference:
directory7=D:dictation redux
Since nothing seems to be working right, I would like your additional help. I do not trust my computer savvy, such that it is, unless the instructions work out pristinely. I do not want to uninstall Windows 8 at this time because I want to continue to evaluate it before the deadline for me to order it at a special price: October 29.
On the other hand, I do not want to take up your valuable time. If I have to, I would just manually save things and wait until VoiceComputer becomes compatible with Windows 8.
Thanks,
Jim

< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“27”>

Jim,

I’ve done some preliminary testing with Windows 8 prerelease versions, but I don’t trust the results and won’t until I get the final release, which I should have in the next couple of days as I pre-ordered it under a special program that gets it to me faster than if I wait till Microsoft announces such. At that point we will begin serious testing with VoiceComputer and Windows 8.

However, the core of Windows underneath Windows 8 is virtually identical to Windows 7 once you get through the stupid Metro and get to the desktop. I haven’t experienced your particular problem, but once I get the final release of Windows 8, I’ll test it out. Unless Windows 8 makes a significant departure from the way that files and folders are handled under Windows 7, you shouldn’t be experiencing any VoiceComputer problem(s). I don’t see any discrepancy with what shows up as regards the entry in the settings.ini file. Nevertheless, I would need a step-by-step explanation of everything you’re doing and what the precise and verbatim results are in order to evaluate it anyway.
Chucker2012-10-22 09:28:14

Thanks again, Chucker:
I have a third-party billing system called Timeslips. My IT guy put it on my machine today. According to the people at Timeslips, it is supposed to work with Windows 8. However, I cannot dictate into the description box at present with Timeslips. I had to dictate into Word and then copy it. The program would not allow me to use the dictation box.
I forgot, maybe I should try notepad. I will let you know.
Jim,

< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“14”>