Glitch in command for Outlook 2003

In Outlook 2003 when trying to attach a file, I say “Attach File”. Instead of getting the Insert File window, I get a horizontal line inserted into the message text. I get the same thing when I say “Insert File”.

Chris,

I apologize because you asked this question sometime ago and it slipped off my radar screen. I simply assumed, which one should never do, that it ended up being resolved.

However, my first question would be what happens when you mouse click on the “Attach File” vs. issuing the command? That is, does it respond correctly or do you still get the line draw?

The other question that I have is does this occur when the only thing that you have loaded is DNS? That is, without KnowBrainer, Vocola, or any other third party application that integrates with or works with DNS. Just DNS by itself because access to that option is a DNS command via Active Accessibility [Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA)].

I have one system that still has Outlook 2003 on it and I don’t have any problems with attaching a file using the command. It certainly doesn’t occur in Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010 (32-bit or 64-bit).

Before we go to the next level, I really need the answer to the questions above. Chucker2010-09-14 10:58:40

No problem Chuck. I forget things all the time.

I’m not sure what you mean by clicking on the “Attach File”. If you mean click on the icon in the toolbar of Outlook, then doing so brings up the Insert File window.

It occurs when VoicePower is running with Dragon, whether or not any third-party applications are running. The problem does not occur when Dragon is run by itself or with KnowBrainer.

Chris,

What version of VoicePower are you currently using? Say “Show VoicePower version” and let me know because something is not right here. VoicePower shouldn’t interfere with the attach file command.

Also, when you installed the version that you’re currently using, did you uninstall the previous version first or did you install the latest version that you’re currently using over top of the previous version?

What version of VoicePower are you currently using?

Chucker

What is the latest version number?

11.0.3.0 is the version I’m using.
onebigfish2010-09-15 09:49:15

Chris,

My apologies. What I should have asked you was to check the setup for installing VoicePower. The 32-bit version is setup.exe, the 64-bit version is setup64.exe.

Which one do you have, or which one did you use to install VoicePower 11.0.3.0?

setup.exe

My latest version is 11.02. that I downloaded at the beginning of the month. Is 11.03 now the latest version?

Chris & Jon,

VoicePower 11.02 is just one step back from 11.03. The only difference is that 11.03 has two flavors: (1) 32-bit version, which is what you have Chris, and (2) the 64-bit version which is only for those users who are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 64-bit. The latter version cannot be installed on and will not run on any 32-bit version of Windows. The purpose of the 64-bit version is to support 64-bit applications, specifically, but not limited to, Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit.

If you need 11.03 64-bit, let me know and I will check with Ron about making sure that you get it. Remember that 11.03, whether 32 bit or 64-bit, is designed for DNS 11. Be aware of the fact that you have to remove the one line from the settings.ini if you're going to be using DNS 9.5-10.1, and you can only use 11.03 64-bit with DNS 10.1/11.

So it looks like I am running version 11.03 32-bit. My operating system is Vista 64-bit. I am running Microsoft Office 2003, which is 32-bit.

Do I need to install the 64-bit version of VoicePower, or am I fine running the 32-bit version?

Chris,

Unless you have a 64-bit application installed, you can stay where you are for the time being. The 64-bit version is only designed to run on 64-bit versions of Windows (i.e., unfortunately not on XP 64-bit, which neither we nor DNS 11 support.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to put the 64-bit version on because then you wouldn't have to worry about if you go to Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit or any other 64-bit applications. One of the advantages of the 64-bit version is that we solved the problem with application-specific voice scripting commands Re: 64-bit versions of applications.

Let me know what you want to do.

Chucker2010-09-18 04:12:59

I should probably go with the 64-bit version. There are a few 64-bit applications on my system.

Chris

Chucker

I am now confused as the following message is what I received from Ron at the end of last month.

<P style=“MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 12pt” =Msonormal>“To download VoicePower for DNS 11, log into your account at:<?: prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt” =Msonormal>http://www.voiceteach.com/store/owBasket/CustomerAuthenticate.asp<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt” =Msonormal><o:p> </o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt” =Msonormal>Click on Track an order and then click to review your order.<o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt” =Msonormal>The download (setup11_02.zip) is halfway down the next page. <o:p></o:p>
<P style=“MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt” =Msonormal>Please let us know if you have any questions.”

<o:p>When was 11.03 released as I did not receive any notification</o:p>

John,

When did you originally purchased VoicePower? I can go in and change the download for you, but if you purchased VoicePower more than a year ago, which I don't think is the case, the store database is set up such that it won't let me assign that version to your download.

Also, are you running under Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit? Again as per above, I need to know because if you're running Windows 7 or Windows Vista 32-bit, then the 64-bit version will not install and you can't use it anyway. The 64-bit version requires that you be running Windows Vista or Windows 7 64-bit.

I should as you let me know all of the above information, I'll make the appropriate changes and/or tell you what's going on.

Chucker

Problem solved. I went into my account and downloaded version 11.03.

Although I am running WIN7 64bit on my one machine and running Office2010 32bit as according to Microsoft there isn’t much advantage in running the 64bit version.

My laptop is running Vista 32 bit.

John
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Chucker
<DIV>Is version 11.03 that I have downloaded the 32bit version or does it automatically detect which operating system is running.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>If version 11.03 is only 32bit where do I obtain the 64bit version?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Is there any advantage in running the 64bit version on my 64bit system?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>John</DIV>

John,

The 32-bit version has the install file as setup.exe. The 64-bit version has the install file as setup64.exe. So, if you look at your install files you’ll be able to tell which version you’re running. We decided against doing a one-size-fits-all, so the versions are separate.

If you want to 64-bit version, I can set it up in your account. However, it won’t be until early next week. For the time being, there is no advantage in having the 64-bit version if you’re not using any 64-bit apps. Although the 64-bit version works equally well with 32-bit and 64-bit applications, there is no advantage to going to the 64-bit version unless you have, for example, Microsoft Office 2010 or one of the Adobe suite products running in 64-bit. Also, IE 8 64-bit can benefit from the VoicePower 64-bit version, although it isn’t necessary.

Lastly, Microsoft is a little bit misleading Re: 32 bit vs. 64 bit of Microsoft Office 2010. Although both versions are identical, the advantage of the 64-bit version is that you can work with very large documents and/or spreadsheets because Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit will take full advantage of all the RAM you have installed on your system (i.e., it will be able to use more than 4 GB or use RAM addresses above 4 GB). The 32-bit version is limited to the 4 GB limit. If, like me, you’re running a Coreâ„¢ i7 system with 12 GB of RAM under Windows 7 64-bit, then the Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit version is capable of addressing memory all the way up through the maximum RAM address available. Other than that, and the fact that Office 2010 64-bit is noticeably faster, there is no real advantage because both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are, as I’ve already said, identical. I think what Microsoft is trying to say is that there is no advantage to Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit unless your system is configured such that you can take advantage of RAM above 4 GB and your system is sufficiently fast enough performance wise.