First or 1st

Can someone tell me how to correct this problem without causing the other, and much more annoying problem, of writing “3 to 4” when I say “324”?

Thanks.

You could say, “three twenty-four” or “Three hundred twenty-four”

(It might also help to say “324” more quickly, without any space between the numbers… 324)

I have this problem all the time and there is no easy answer. The first thing to decide is whether you tick the option "Number, if greater or equal to n" where n is set, e.g. a 9.

This helps with typing expressions such as "third party".

For dates, I have set up special commands to produce a variety of dates in British form.

Saying numeral before numbers can help.

I don't know your nationality, but in England we say 324 as "three hundred and twenty four" whereas people in North American may say "three hundred twenty four". For Dragon, the form "three twenty four" may work best.

Josh,

First, 324 vs.3 to 4 is a matter of enunciation. The only proper correction (fix) is to learn how to distinguish between enunciating digits without pausing and pausing between 3 and 4.

It's important to remember that "3 to 4" is part of the context ITN rules in Dragon. Therefore, it's fairly easy to invoke this particular ITN rule by not clearly enunciating the digits or pausing in the wrong place. For example, consider the following contexts:

Your new car will be delivered within 3 to 4 days.
You will need 3 to 4 plywood panels.

In both of the above cases "3 to 4" will be properly displayed relative to the context in which it is dictated.

If you want to get the digits "324" displayed correctly, avoid dictating digits one at a time. As Stephen points out: "three hundred and twenty four", "three hundred twenty four", Or the form "three twenty four" may work best.

Otherwise, there is no 100% reliable way of preventing getting "3 to 4"other than practicing correct dictation style.

Second, if you want to get numbers, like "third", spelled out instead of displayed as digits, Do as Stephen points out and the "Numbers, if greater than or equal to" to "10" in the Dragon Auto-Formatting Dialog. This will spell numbers from "one to nine" and all the numbers will become digits when dictated when the number is equal to 10 or greater.

If you want to convert the numbers from one to nine to digits 1 to 9, simply precede the number with "numeral" as in "numeral one" to "numeral nine" which will give you "1 to 9".

The same applies to ordinals. For example, if you want "third" as an ordinal, you simply say "numeral third" and you will get "3rd", and so on. The same applies to numbers after "10". These numbers will always be displayed as ordinals. If you, for example, say "twenty third", it will be displayed as "23rd".

You can also get ordinals the display in dates by using "numeral" as above. For example, December 23, 2018 can become December 23rd 2018, by simply dictating "December numeral twenty third twenty eighteen". In short, there are all kinds way it is skin the cat relative to dates, ordinals, and numbers spelled-out vs. digits.

Thank you, Chuck. This is helpful.

I am suffering daily with two entries:

“up to”, which I have now trained, is frustratingly heard as the command “up 2”. I would love to kill “up 2”;

the other is “cap”. “We are going to cap the liability at £1 million”. I always use “cap next” as my command. Can I kill “cap” as a command?

Kind regards, Stephen

You can delete the ‘up 2’ command by opening the ‘global2.xml’ file (in notepad) in the C:ProgramDataVoiceTeachVoiceComputerCommandsCustom

directory

Search for:
1to20h

and delete the following line.
02two
Save the file and let me know if this works for you.
(Then, there’s a second step…)

Thank you, Ron. I made the silly mistake of following your instructions with Voicecomputer open, and this caused a file corruption. Anyway, I recover the file from backup and now your suggestion works perfectly.

My business is really a crossover between engineering work and legal work and it is extraordinary how often the phrase "up to" appears in my dictation. It was a serious misfire and I am pleased to have this corrected.

Will I now need to reconfigure Voicecomputer having used the backup file?

Regards Stephen

<edited><editID>Nimbargent</editID><editDate>2018-05-24 02:50:13</editDate></edited>

Will I now need to reconfigure Voicecomputer having used the backup file?

Now copy your edited file over the existing file in the source directory.
C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerhelpVC_FilesCustom_files

And then make a backup of your edited file to use when you install new versions.

Test

Test

Test

Test

Up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to up to …

Thank you, Ron. This is perfect. I appreciate your dedicated help on what might seem to be a minor problem.

Best wishes Stephen