Excel 2007

Using VoicePower with WSR and Excel 2007, the commands actually seen to work properly, however any text I try and dictate goes straight into the dictation box (or whatever it's called), i.e I can't dictate directly into a cell. Is this a known issue and can anything be done?

Thanks

Graham

Graham,

For whatever reason, Microsoft did not make Excel 2003/2007 Select-and-Say enabled. What you’re seeing is that every time WSR encounters a non-Select-and-Say enabled text window, it pops up the “dictation scratchpad”, which is WSR’s equivalent of Dragon’s dictation box. Unfortunately, that’s an issue that you have to take up with Microsoft. I haven’t tested in Microsoft Office 2010, but I wouldn’t be surprised with regard to Excel 2010 that the same issue arises. I will test it out and get back to you.

Nevertheless that’s why the dictation scratchpad is displayed whenever you’re in Excel 2007.

Thanks, I knew that 2003 had this issue but (wrongly) assumed that 2007 would not, please let us know about 2010, I certainly won’t be upgrading if it isn’t Disapprove

Graham

Graham,

Unfortunately, the same problem exists with Microsoft Excel 2010. So, it doesn’t behoove you to go to Microsoft Office 2010 if the only reason for doing so is to have Select-and-Say enabled for WSR in Microsoft Excel 2010.

On the other hand, there are some very nice features in Microsoft Office 2010, particularly if you’re going to be working in Microsoft Word. All versions of Microsoft Office are fully supported by MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility). However, PowerPoint and Excel 2010 do not support Select-and-Say. Only Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Word 2010 are fully Select-and-Say enabled.

Thanks for the info, might have known MS can’t be relied upon to give users exactly what they want, if I didn’t know better I’d say they do these things on purpose just to annoy people Unhappy

Graham

Graham,

Microsoft is what I call a half-baked company. When they do something well, they do it exceptionally well. When they do something poorly, they excel at the “poor” part of it.Thumbs Down

Yeah right, still it would be nice to put Rob Chambers on the spot and ask him to justify the situation Evil Smile

Graham