Dual Monitors

I am sure that I have seen somewhere that VC has commands for 2 or 3 monitors, but I cannot find any reference to it anywhere in the documentation. Can someone point me in the right direction, or tell me that I have a vivid imagination.

Assuming that the commands do exist will it cope with monitors with different sizes?

Viv

Viv,

Say “show mouse commands”. This will bring up the “Mouse Guide” help screen. At the bottom of that VoiceComputer help screen, go to the bottom and say “click more commands”. Under “Mouse on second monitor” there are two options “Configuration” and “Second Monitor”. All the commands that are available for using multiple monitors and the configuration are located in the “Additional Mouse Commands” VoiceComputer help screen as noted above.

Note that you have to configure VoiceComputer for multiple monitors before you can use these commands and then the commands that are listed under “Second Monitor” are what you can say.

If you’re monitors are different sizes (resolutions), you may find some issues with regard to these commands. Unfortunately, we can’t do anything about this because that’s how your video card and drivers are seeing and configuring your monitor. However, that being said, you should be able to work with these commands. It may take a little getting used to if you’re monitors are of different sizes.Chucker2013-08-10 16:10:06

Chuck,

Thanks for the guidance, I will see how it works in a couple of days when my new monitor arrives. Is it better to use two GPU cards, (I have a new one on order as well), or just one?

Viv

Viv,

It shouldn’t matter whether you use one or two GPU cards, but it isn’t necessary as long as one of your GPU cards supports two monitors. I only use one GPU card which has two DVI outputs.

Sometimes multiple GPU cards are a waste if either one supports dual monitors and all you’re going to use his dual monitors. In the long run, it’s more efficient to use only one GPU card unless you’re going to use more than two monitors.

Either way, let me know how it works for you.

Thanks Chuck,

I will just replace the old GPU card when the new one arrives as it supports two monitors.

Viv

Viv,

Probably your best choice. Still, let me know if you have any problems. Be sure that you read the multiple monitor technotes with regard to problems that you might encounter with different sized monitors, particularly the Screen Grid on a second monitor that is a different size than your first monitor. You can save yourself a lot of grief.

Chuck,

Now that I have my second, larger, monitor I have set up VC for two monitors. In ‘Configure VoiceComputer’ the instructions are to position the mouse at the top right of the second monitor and say ‘OK’. This does not work as Dragon interprets what I said as ‘keystroke A’ or ‘up 10’!!! I tried saying ‘click OK’ and this worked. Assuming that this is what I am supposed to do could you change the on-screen instructions to reflect this.

Viv

Viv,

Will take a look at this, but I suspect that the reason that you have to use “click” is because of your settings in the DNS Options dialog.

Open the Options dialog and go to the Commands tab. There are two options that you need to look at:

1. Require “Click” to select menus

2. Require “Click” to select buttons and other controls

My guess is that you have either one or both of these selected. The key here is the latter one (#2). If you have #2 selected, then you must say “click” before any button, particularly the OK button because this option applies to these types of buttons and other controls.

Chuck,

Thanks for the quick response. You are right, I have both options clicked.

Viv