DragonPad resists VoiceComputer commands

Why is it that the only VoiceComputer command that seems to work on DragonPad is display numbers? When I tried changing the window position or invoke super numbers, nothing happens.

The DragonBar is a ‘natspeak.exe’ process and we don’t want to resize and otherwise manipulate it.

Therefore before VoiceComputer resizes or tries to manipulate a window, it checks to see if it’s a ‘natspeak.exe’ process. If it is, VoiceComputer doesn’t do anything.

But, the problem is that the DragonPad is also a ‘natspeak.exe’ process, so we also don’t manipulate it.

I’ve never tried to change this because I’ve feel that Notepad and WordPad are good alternatives to DragonPad.

Ron,

Out of curiosity, how are you applying Notepad or WordPad in voice recognition? In other words what is the application you are using it for? Are you dictating into it and then pasting it into a document or text box? (Like this one)

Reed & Gary,

First, just to add a little bit more detail to Ron’s explanation, DragonPad and/or the DragonBar are features of natspeak.exe that we don’t want to manipulate as far as Super Numbers or positioning are concerned because we simply do not wish to interfere with Dragon. In other words, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. DragonPad has a full complement of Natural Language Commands that make it exceedingly Dragon friendly and accessible. Show Numbers/Display Numbers is useful in DragonPad only because it allows you to access those features of DragonPad that might be useful using this feature. Otherwise, attempting to manipulate natspeak.exe processes carries with it the potential for doing more harm than good. Therefore, we simply stay away from it. In addition, we generally try to avoid duplicity/redundancy.

Second, if you need to move the DragonPad window, you can click on the titlebar and use the "drag left | right | upper left | upper right | up | down <1-100%>, or using the mouse drag commands for dragging an object in large increments. However, I only recommend this for users who need to work 100% hands-free. Keep in mind that large increments using the Voice Mouse commands means that 100% would be all the way from the right side or left side of the screen to the opposite side. These are gross movements. Therefore, start with something like “drag left 10 percent” so that you can get a feel for using the large increments Voice Mouse commands in VoiceComputer. Otherwise, and again, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Also, keep in mind that the mouse pointer must have focus on the titlebar. You may find under certain conditions that the dry commands don’t capture the application window. In such cases with the mouse pointer on the titlebar, simply say “mouse click” and then reissuing the drag commands.

Lastly, Super Numbers is useful in application windows where objects are not accessible. A good example of this would be an application like LEXIS-NEXIS for lawyers, or any application window that doesn’t support MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility), or its current equivalent Windows 7/8. An example here would be applications like PDF Converter Professional or Adobe Acrobat in which the Menu options are not accessible by voice. Or, filling out forms (Adobe Acrobat) where the text fields, radio buttons, or other aspects of the form are not accessible under normal conditions using just Dragon. Attempting to use Super Numbers everywhere or anywhere can be done, but it’s not necessarily any more productive or useful if an application window is completely accessible by Dragon voice commands. It is not useful in an application like DragonPad, or Microsoft Word for that matter.

As regards your question about notepad and/or WordPad, Notepad and/or WordPad are Full Text Control (Select-and Say) enabled regardless of whether you launch Dragon first or after such. That makes them useful under certain conditions. For example, I use Notepad to create text files where I can use notepad as the master application and use the VoiceComputer voice select, copy, and paste commands to copy and paste text from other application windows. We use WordPad as the underlying application for the VoiceComputer select, copy, and paste commands to store the text from any window that you are copying and pasting from. Otherwise, I use WordPad because it is useful in editing XML files. Otherwise, I use these applications rarely and seldom, if ever, or creating, copying, and pasting text into another application window, such as this one. The only time I would use any of these applications for that purpose would be in an application window that doesn’t support Full Text Control (Select-and Say).Chucker2013-08-29 07:25:47

Chuck,

Thanks so much for answering the post. As any of us using voice-recognition software know, that despite some incredible add-on software like voice computer, the Achilles' heel of using voice-recognition software continues to be accuracy and proofreading. When you run into a text input that does not accommodate select-say very well, why would you use Notepad or DragonPad in contrast to the dictation box? Finally, do you mind sharing with us the exact steps you go through to proofread let's say a post you make to this forum.

Gary,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your post. Every time that I wanted to say something, it was either too long or I felt the it could be stated better.

To answer your first question, I don’t have to dictate into nonstandard application windows very often, but when I do, I always use the Dictation Box. Some users don’t like it or find and unreliable. Set up properly and used properly it has always worked just fine for me. The only issue with the Dictation Box is that it locks you into the application window or text field which has focus when you open the Dictation Box. That can be a problem if you happen to be in a situation where you’re locked out of and can’t move around on a page. Nonetheless, minor issue.

I generally never use notepad or DragonPad to dictate and copy text into a non-Full Text Control (Select-and Say) application window unless I need the flexibility to move around where the Dictation Box can lock you out. I almost never use DragonPad except for the purpose of opening and reviewing DRA files in the drafiles folder (DNS 12.5 Professional).

How you proofread is a matter of personal preference. I prefer to proofread on-the-fly. There are a couple of reasons why I do this:

1. I usually dictate in full sentences and sometimes even full paragraphs. As a result, I proofread for corrections, but primarily for content and continuity of thought.

2. How much I dictate before pausing to proofread depends on the size of the text window. For example, if I’m dictating into Microsoft Word, I have more real estate to work with so I made dictate longer before pausing to proofread. However, when I’m dictating into the message box on this forum, I generally dictate a paragraph and proofreading before I continue.

Regardless, proofreading on-the-fly is my personal preference because I can do it faster and more productively as it’s basically instinctive and automatic for me. I also average between 97% and 99% accuracy, so I seldom have to make corrections and I proofread more for continuity of thought, content, and grammar. I’ve learned over the last 20 years to spot misrecognitions instantly.Chucker2013-09-03 18:19:29

Chucker,
That is awesome advice that will go with me for many years to come. I also use the dictation box when I'm in a non-text control situation. Â Lately, I have increased the size of the font and color of the text in the dictation box to Arial 16 blue, making it easier for me to "scan and spot". Â (Just made that up and it may be my favorite new slogan). Â With the new feature of DNS automatically calling up the dictation box in non-text control areas, it's even easier now to dictate that way. Â Thank you again for your sound advice. ChuckerChucker2013-09-05 11:00:05