DNS version 15

Has anyone tested version 15?

Is it compatible with VC_14-82?

Are there any advantages to using version 15 over14?

Thanks!

DPI 15 works well but haven’t used it enough to say whether it’s worth the upgrade.

I’m quite sure that VC 14.82 works with DPI 15.

Will be releasing VC 2017 within a day or two. It supports Dragon 11-15 but we haven’t yet had time to document DPI 15. We’ll be releasing updates in the next few weeks.

VC 2017 has quite a few minor updates and fixes to prior editions. It has an almost finished VC Microphone feature. Almost because the code is finished but not the documentation.

The VC Microphone now has a ‘Lock Microphone’ command. Thus, when you lock the microphone, it’s (almost?) impossible to accidentally activate the Dragon Microphone. Thus, the VC Mic brings complete hands-free control of the microphone to users.

DPI 15 works just fine with VoiceComputer
I’ve done some pretty extensive accuracy measurements and for users with extensive and unusual custom vocabulary, DPI 15 “learns” more quickly than the previous versions of Dragon when using custom vocabularies and document analysis techniques.

if the user only dictates colloquial speech and is already getting 99% accuracy, that user will not see an improvement in accuracy. DPI 15 will also give better recognition rates with supercheap microphones.

What we don’t know yet is how well DPI 15 will “remember” corrections

At the same time the overall response DPI 15 is noticeably smoother than with DNS13 and I would say that the upgrade would be worth it even for users who only dictate continuous colloquial speech.

Phil Schaadt

Phil,

There are a number of minor issues that we are still working on, but VoiceComputer (i.e., your version) does work with DPI 15.

I’ve been working with DPI 15 now for about 2 1/2 weeks and I can say definitively that it both learns more quickly from corrections and learns the first time you correct something. In addition, it does seem to learn on the fly, which is what I would expect from the deep learning algorithm. That is, accuracy tends to improve over time, even if you don’t have to make any corrections, among a few other things that function better than DPI 14 did.

In short, it’s a keeper. The only thing that I’ve noticed with VoiceComputer is that if you have Dragon anywhere and you configure it via the Dragon Options dialog, subsequent to validation there are times when the user profile will not load automatically when launching VoiceComputer. This seems to be an issue with the way that Dragon anywhere and DPI 15 are configured to work together.
However, I’m still getting used to some of the new features and functions in DPI 15. We’ll all learn more as time goes on.
Chucker2016-09-09 21:51:11

In my case DPI 15 works very nicely along with voice computer on Windows 7.
On Windows 10 however, I had some problems starting up voice computer with DPI 15 ( some sort of elevation rights error). This actually is just one of the, very long list of, problems I encounter with Windows 10. In my opinion Windows 10 is a completely useless upgrade. Windows 7 was just perfect.
But sadly we are being forced to upgrade at some time.

There is a problem however on both operating system When you close down voice computer (and Dragon)
Dragon has its own confirmation dialog while shutting down, which is getting in the way of the automatic shutdown process of voice computer.

Any ideas about this?

Rob

A new version of VoiceComputer is in the database, VoiceComputer 2017. We’re still testing but it seems to work just fine with Windows 10. We plan to announce the new version on Monday.

Rob,

What dialogue are you referring to? I have dpi 15 installed on three different machines.

I don't see your problem because it doesn't happen for me. VoiceComputer shuts down just fine.

Chucker2016-09-11 09:45:55

but Windows 10 IS very useful to Microsoft even though it is useless to the consumer. As of now, the consumer is not the customer of the big technology companies, the individual consumer has become the product for further monetization.

I’m sticking with Windows 7 for my high-power workstations

Phil Schaadt

Chuck,

The problem is already solved, it wasn’t VC. I had created a heardword command created called ‘restart’
( which would open VC and run through its restart dialogue).
But DPI 15 responded to this command by itself, therefore getting in the way of VC.
I changed the command, and now all works fine :wink:

Rob

You are so right Phil.

I just purchased a new system with the i7-6700K, and of course both Dragon and VC Licensing weren’t accepted anymore. So I thought, why not do a completely new Windows 10 install then (anniversary edition).
After activating everything again, I again noticed that the entire 'speech thing ’ simply doesn’t run as smooth as it did on Windows 7. I noticed it on my previous system, on my girlfriend’s system, and now finally on my new system.
This is no coincidence anymore.
Anyway, since I still had a Windows 7 (Acronis) Image I could restore the installation on my new system, which however cost me 2 extra activations for VC and Dragon.
After that I was struck, once again, how very smoothly both Dragon and VC run on Windows 7. No glitches, no delays.
All in all quite an expensive operation for me.

I also have to say that the gain in speed isn’t exactly how I imagined.
My previous system I7-3770 was nearly (if not equal) in performance.

Rob

Not much difference:
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz Single Thread Rating: 2333
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz Single Thread Rating: 2068
Intel Core i7-3960X @ overclocked 4.0GHz Single Thread Rating: 2250

This machine is subjectively "one blink of the eye slower"
Intel Core i7-4550U @ 1.50GHz Single Thread Rating: 1619

Phil Schaadt

Thanks for the comparison numbers, indeed not a whole lot of difference.

I did kind of expect a new generation mainboard, with DDR 4 memory ( instead of DDR 3) To also make a difference, but apparently even that doesn’t really matter all that much…

A “blink of an eye” is nominally ~250 ms which is pretty much what you will casually detect.
Very fast dictation is a word uttered every ~300 ms

A-B comparisons and trained observers can detect visual differences of just under 100 ms differences.
The best is detecting A-B visual differences “was it different” in animation down to about ~20-30 ms.

Specialized tests, under optimal conditions have claimed 13ms as the lower limit but I am dubious.

Futzing DDR4 memory performance might get you ~10 ms per AnandTech

Phil