DNS and antivirus programs

I’ve read on other forums to either use no antivirus or a very simple one so as not to degrade the performance of Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

What are your suggestions for a product that would do the job without compromising DNS’ performance?

Thanks!

Alan

As always, many thanks for your assistance! I’m sure that many will benefit from your comprehensive advice.

Alan,

With a few exceptions, most of the antivirus software has absolutely no impact on performance or speed of DNS. Some are better than others, but it really depends upon how aggressive your antivirus software is in terms of running in the background.

For example, since I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money on antivirus software and continually updating it year after year, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is not only free but absolutely does not interfere with DNS at all.

However, for the most part you don't need to worry about the effects of antivirus software on DNS. If you find after installing such that Dragon begins to slow down, then you may have found one that does things a little bit more aggressively in the background. Otherwise, if you're not having a problem with it, don't worry about it. One of the things that I like about Microsoft Security Essentials is that it is generally pretty good and has a reasonable footprint. No antivirus software catches everything, but the major problem with most AV software is that it tends to be far too aggressive and give too many false positives. Also, consider the difficulty in configuring it. Microsoft's Security Essentials is simple, straightforward, and takes care of itself. It also handles Malware, spyware, and just about any other virus. I only found one instance where it was slightly aggressive and automatically quarantine something I didn't want quarantine. However, it was easy to undo and set to allow this particular file whenever it encounters such (allows it now without exception). Nevertheless, you still need to know whether or not Microsoft Security Essentials is giving you the straight skinny or not.