Display/Show numbers issues

I am experiencing issues with this area of VoiceC. I seem to have no problem getting the numbers to pop up on the screen when I give the “show numbers” command. I am also able to access all of the numbered items below 100 i.e. click 1-99 will execute the command. Any numbered item 100 or higher will not execute at all.

Any suggestions?

Brad,

With VoiceComputer and Dragon loaded, say “show VoiceComputer version” and tell me what version of VoiceComputer you’re using.

Version 12.4.0.

Brad,

Thank you for that information. You are way behind the current version, which is 12.5.3.1. We fixed a lot of these types of issues with Show Numbers/Display Numbers.

Hang tight and I will make sure that Ron sends you an update email to the latest and greatest version.Chucker2013-09-08 17:17:52

Chuck, much appreciated!

To be honest I’ve always seem to have this problem and finally it just irritated me one too many times and so I thought I should try to get it fixed since it seems to be a particularly good feature when one is dealing with a window that for one reason or another doesn’t seem to want to work well with Dragon.

Changing direction, (maybe this should be separate post but here goes anyways) - I was just wondering why VC decided to change your old method of allowing one to do the shortcuts i.e. the save to or open from folder shortcuts?

I remember when I had one of the older versions, one could go in and simply type in the address of where one wanted to save or open a file anywhere on ones computer or a network location etc. i.e. type in Ccorporate clientscorrespondence… and give it a name i.e. corporate clients and then just say "Open or save from/to corporate clients and you went directly to that folder in the windows frame work and… most importantly the cursor went to exactly where you wanted it to be after initiating the command that.

You seem to have changed that on the version I’m on with the “tagging mechanism”. I thought the old system was so much better personally!

I’m primarily using VC and Dragon at the office and am hooked obviously therefore into a network. Most of the files I want to save documents too exist on the server and not on my computer.

I have consequently thus never been quite sure how to figure out how to use the current shortcuts effectively since it seems like in order to tag something, it has to be in one’s “my document folder” which is a folder on my computer and not on the server! Consequently, the only way I could think of how to have the network files/folders etc. show up in “my documents” folder on my computer was to set up a shortcut of the network folder in my documents folder).

I am assuming that this is not the optimum way to have this work? Probably user error on my part for sure!!

The command save/open to/from corporate clients folder works but puts the cursor in the “file name” part of the window - I then have to essentially back tab twice, hit down arrow and then enter to get into the shortcut corporate clients folder to access all the sub-folders I might want to choose from to open or save a file (there is simply way too many corporate client folders within the overall corporate clients folder to set up a shortcut for each specific corporate client and on top of that each corporate client has a number of standard folders into which we save documents - so really just looking to access a folder on the server and be able to drill down immediately without have to redirect the cursor).

Its all inefficient and I even set up a separate dragon command (which I simply called “redirect”) to deal with the back tab 2, down arrow, enter, to put the cursor where I need it to be (I have Dragon Professional 12 by the way).

Is there a way to use the tagging system to a document or folder not in my documents? If so, how does one go about doing that?

Anyways, if you could point me in the right direction as to how to have this all work properly, that would be great.

Also, any chance of you guys reinstating the older shortcut methodology you previously used - please!! :slight_smile:

Chuck, I think I confused the old methodology in my previous post.

I think the way it used to work would be that you would say file save/open and the cursor went to the “file name” part of the subsequent window. VC then had a command something like “look in/save to “…” folder” which you set up with the actual address such as Ccorporate clientscorrespondence…etc and the VC shortcut redirected you to have particular folder as well as repositioning the cursor. Anyways, I recall it worked brilliantly and is sadly missed!

Brad,

First, we’ve made a number of significant changes, including some bug fixes, in the next release which should be out shortly. Among these was to remove the send to/open from functionality from the VoiceShortcuts. We did this primarily because of what you were experiencing per your post (i.e., that being that it was not 100% reliable). We move this functionality to the tag commands and fixed the bug with Microsoft Office 2013 (Microsoft Word 2013 specifically). It’s now much easier and more reliable.

Second, to answer all of your questions in one shot, the way that the send to/open from feature now works is as follows:

1. Using the list commands (i.e., show my documents, show my computer, etc.) you locate the folder that you want to use the send to/open from commands.

2. Once you find the appropriate folder you simply say “tag #”, where #= the number to the left of that folder.

3. When you execute #2 above, you will get the VoiceComputer tag wizard. Simply assign a command name you want to use in calling up this folder in the “Choose a phrase” text box. Then you say “bookmark and save”. This should be clear by way of the instructions in the tag wizard.

4. Once you have done this, your tagged folder will show up in the “show my favorites” list, all of the entries of which are tagged entries.

5. Regardless of whether using Microsoft Word, WordPad, notepad, or DragonPad etc., if you have files in the tagged folder, you simply say “open from folder”. There are two key points here: (a) bookmark name equals the name that you assigned to this folder in the “Choose a phrase” in the tag wizard, and (b) you must say “folder” at the end of the command. For example, if I created a tagged folder called “TEXT” and I wanted to retrieve a file from that folder, I would say “open from TEXT folder”.

You are then presented with a dialog that inserts the path to that folder in the text box of that dialog and asks you to confirm by saying or clicking “OK”. You are then redirected to that folder using the Windows Explorer dialog which shows the files that are contained in that folder. You do not have to use any special commands to access any file. You simply say the name of the file. If the filename is too long to say in one breath, just simply save the first few keywords. Dragon will highlight the first filename that it finds beginning with that utterance (portion of the filename). If that’s not the folder you want, simply move up and down using the Dragon move up/move down commands until you get to the appropriate file, or, you can save the file name again in the same way Dragon will move down to the next file beginning with that filename or portion thereof. You don’t need any special redirect commands or anything like that. Being able to select files in the manner described part of Dragon’s Say-What-You-See (Tracking). It works exceedingly well. Many users forget what Say-What-You-See (Tracking) is and how it works.

Once you do the above, the file will open whatever application window you issue the command from. Once you get used to doing it this way, you’ll find that it’s very simple and virtually 100% reliable. I use it all the time.

Note also that you can tag any number of folders or subfolder and give each a special name so that you don’t have to go through the wrap your leg around your neck approach to get to any specific folder. Again, it’s much simpler and much more reliable than the old way.

Lastly, to answer your question about tagging a folder that’s not in my documents, the answer is absolutely yes. The way you go about doing this is to say “show my computer” and simply expand the list until you get to the folder containing the documents and/or subfolders that you want to access using the send to/open from commands and tag them as described above.

Again, the way we currently do it is much easier and much more efficient than the old method.

Brad,

Chuck and I both drafted responses to your problem and Chuck beat me to posting.

Here’s my response.

I’m hesitant to bring back the old command for many reasons. The most important is that l think that the new command is easier to use and much more versatile. The new command lets you see all your favorite directories or files by saying “Show My Favorites.” It lets you view a favorite directory by saying "Open tag [left, right…] (See “Show Computer Control”, “Accessing Files”, and then “Show Favorites Exercise” and “Click Favorite commands”)

So first I’d like to try to improve the current favorite commands.

We need to add a “Show Network” command. I keep putting this off but will try to get it into the next release.

And then I have to fix the old “File list” command. Not sure what happened, but this old favorite command just stopped working.

In the meanwhile, you can create favorite network folders in five steps.

1. Configure VoiceComputer so that Voice Shortcut Commands are enabled – (Configure VoiceComputer, 17 open, Voice Shortcut Commands, ok and then restart speech.

2, create a tag. Say, Show My Computer and then say “Tag 7”.

1. Name the tag, what you want to call the network drive or folder. (e.g., “client accounts”)

2. Say “Bookmark and Save”

3. Open the favorites.xml file located in your

DocumentsVoiceComputerTags directory and change the path to the network path (keep the quotes around the path.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Watch the syntax, we’re not error checking here!

The first one you create might be difficult but then it’ll get easy. (or you can wait a week or two until we let you do this in one step.)

If you have problems with the syntax, just post the contents of your favorites.xml file and I’ll fix it for you.

Ron and Chuck - thanks for both your responses. I will try to digest and get back to you if I still have problems.

I am having a little problem with the latest release. When I say, “show numbers” the numbers only appear at the very top taskbar (near the home icon). Thus far, I have removed the chrome extension and then reinstalled it from my desktop. (The only one I have is the previous one that was on the email registration).< id=“plugin0” =“application/x-dgnria” width=“0” height=“0” style=": ; : 1000">< name=“tabId” value=“2”>

The command name changed.

To access the Chrome extension say,
“Show Chrome Numbers” or “Chrome Numbers”

The new commands let you use the “Show Numbers” command to number the top level menus.

BTW, you can also issue the “Show Chrome Numbers” command as you’re working in another application and then follow the numbers in Chrome by saying “Click x”, as you continue to work your application. I’m calling this ‘SimulTasking’.

Ron,

That works like a charm. Thank you

Gary,

Just to add a note with regard to Windows 8. In Windows 7 Show Numbers numbers the top level menu or command bar options. However, in Windows 8 with Google Chrome “Show Numbers”, “show Chrome numbers”, or “Chrome numbers” all work the same. That is, or three commands under Windows 8 using Google Chrome number the items (objects) in the webpage. In order to access the top level menu/command bar you have to use the command options in the VoiceComputer help under “show Chrome commands”.