Custom office 2010 commands no longer work

I have several custom commands which used to work and are saved in a copy of the office2010_custom.xml which I keep on my G:/ drive.

To install it I close VoiceComputer down, then copy the file to C:Program Files (x86)VoiceTeachVoiceComputerconfigVoiceComputerCommandsCustom and then reopen VoiceComputer.
<div><br></div><div>Unfortunately, when I now issue these commands all I see is the words which I have dictated rather than the text I want inserted into my document.  This applies whether I'm using commands which used to work or ones which I have just created.</div><div><br></div><div>I am running VoiceComputer 12-66-2 and Dragon 12.50.000.142 on Windows 7 professional 64-bit.</div><div><br></div><div>Viv</div></div>

Viv,

Don’t copy them to the VoiceComputer program file location. Copy them to the following location:

C:UsersDocumentsVoiceComputerCommandsCustomoffice2010_custom.xml

Of course they won’t work if you copy them to where you did. I can see another possible conflict, but will deal with that if it arises (i.e., if following the instructions above doesn’t resolve the problem).Chucker2013-11-21 20:56:55

Thanks Chuck,

<div><br></div><div>I have no idea why I made a note of the wrong location in which to save the file.  I have performed a clean install of 12-68 after deleting all VC files, and saved my custom file to the correct location but VoiceComputer will not open as I get a message about not being able to load the custom file.</div><div><br></div><div>I did remove all new code which did not exist in a version which had worked in the past but this made no difference.</div><div><br></div><div>If I delete the file from the location you gave then VC will open.  Is that the problem you were anticipating?</div><div><br></div><div>Viv</div>

Viv et al.,

Don’t use VoiceComputer 12.68. I’ll explain later. If you can, go back to 12.66.2.

Chuck,

<div><br></div><div>Thanks, I uninstalled version 12.68, rebooted my computer and got the BSOD every time I tried to load Windows.  I tried using a restore point, but Windows decided that I do not have any!  Very strange.</div><div><br></div><div>As a last resort I used my system image from this morning and now seem to have a stable Windows system, running VC 12.66.2.</div><div><br></div><div>Earlier today I installed another program, as well as changing to VC 12.68 so am not sure what caused my BSODs, but at least the problem seems to be behind me, and I can see several restore points.</div><div><br></div><div>Viv</div>
<edited><editID>k0065126</editID><editDate>2013-11-22 13:12:31</editDate></edited>

Viv,

BSOD’s are usually hardware related issues. What program did you install and does it have a link to your hardware configuration? Also, did you happen, by chance, to be able to review the BSOD? The first line usually gives you a good indication of where the problem is coming from. If you’re like most users, they have their default setup to not trap their BSOD, so it closes without the user being aware of what the first couple of lines in the BSOD are. If you were able to catch it, let me know what it was and I will tell you what it means.Chucker2013-11-22 14:46:15

I installed Applian Media Catcher 4, although I also have version 5 installed. The only other change I made today was remove VC 12.66.2 and replace it with 12.68. It is quite a few weeks since I made any hardware changes so I would not have thought that it was hardware related, unless it relates to an updated driver.

<div><br></div><div>The BSOD scrolls so quickly that it is impossible to read before it disappears, and, although I tried to photograph the screen I missed the start of the message and did not think to look for the dump files and save them before running the system image on my C: drive.</div><div><br></div><div>I have no idea how to trap a BSOD, although I believe that there is software which can analyse a dump file.  </div><div><br></div><div>Viv</div>

Viv,

Don’t bother looking at any dump files derived from a BSOD. You won’t make heads or tails of it anyway because the dumps are formatted for use by Microsoft and are basically not readable by the average user.

In addition, trapping a BSOD is simply a matter of pressing F8 during the bootup process at the proper time and selecting the option to pause when BSOD’s are displayed. I have this set up on my system(s) just in case, but I don’t go into those boot options (F8) often enough to remember exactly how it’s phrased. Nevertheless, it’s there among the options and if you select it, then any time that you get a BSOD it will stop (pause) until you press the appropriate key to continue. Yes, it may be related to drivers, but it usually related to the application of drivers by your system that either produce an error or are corrupted/incompatible with the hardware to which they are linked. The most common BSOD is a memory issue. The next most common BSOD usually has to do with audio devices and/or video issues.

Regardless, there’s no point in belaboring trying to figure out what caused your BSOD unless it is persistent and unresolvable by normal reboot. There may be software that makes a dump file more intelligible, but the dump is a proprietary Microsoft form and no matter what it tells you, unless you understand the relationship between the error and your system, it’s worthless anyway. The best way of dealing with a persistent BSOD is to invoke the pause and write down the error, then go to Microsoft’s support webpages and/or to the MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) pages and look up the error. You can spin your wheels for days trying to figure out how to resolve a BSOD and I’m not sure that for the average user is worth it.Chucker2013-11-23 09:42:35

Chuck,

<div><br></div><div>As I now seem to have a stable system I am not worrying about the BSOD.  Thanks for all your comments, there is at least one website where people are happy to try to provide meaningful information from the dump files.</div><div><br></div><div>I will try to remember about pressing f8 during boot up, but as BSODs are a rare occurrence, (and I hope they stay that way), I will probably have forgotten by the next time.</div><div><br></div><div>At least now I am able to get my custom Word file to work, it looks as if some of the code was in error.</div><div><br></div><div>Viv</div>