Creating custom voice commands in VoicePower

One of the many really intriguing aspects of VoicePower is its ability to create custom voice commands. Would you detail how one can create custom voice commands in VoicePower? I was interested in creating a command that would open up Word, then my last Word document and then position the cursor where I left off.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Any and all help would be deeply appreciated.

Alan

Oops! Forgot to mention that I was using Word 2007 and Win 7 Ultimate…

Best,

Alan

Alan,

First, VoicePower doesn’t attempt to reinvent the wheel. That is, if Dragon NaturallySpeaking does things quite well on its own, we don’t try to rewrite the book on it. VoicePower is capable of doing what Dragon NaturallySpeaking by itself can’t do or doesn’t do.

Second, there are some things that can’t the done. For example, placing your cursor in a word document exactly where you left off is simply not possible under any circumstance because Microsoft Word simply doesn’t store that information. So, when you close down Microsoft Word and reopen it, it always starts at the top of the document. Theoretically, at least, you could create a macro that would automatically search for a particular word or paragraph, or phrase, which would place the cursor in that generalization, but that changes every time you close a document. So you would have to write a complex script in order to handle that.

Having said this, we’re not finished with voice scripting yet. And, although it will be more powerful than DNS Advanced Scripting, trying to do something like what you want to do will still not be a simple process. They’re just too many variables and too many situations in which those variables change and change inconsistently. To draw simple analogy, it’s very simple to get up in the morning and walk to the train station and get a train to work. But what if somebody change the location of the train station every single day, moving it 1 mile north, 1 mile southeast, 1 mile southwest, or moving it 2 miles randomly to any point on the compass. How would you write a mental script to find the train station. That’s not to say it can’t be done. It’s simply to say that it’s not a simple process even if voice scripting is itself much easier than Advanced Scripting and DNS.

By the same token, you can accomplish exactly the same end, without the cursor placement, using a simple one line step-by-step macro (DNS). Since you have the professional version, I’ll give you the steps:

1. Open the Command Browser

2. Create a new command

3. Select step-by-step as the macro option

4. Open the drop-down list at the very bottom and select Open (application).

Now, this may seem counterintuitive, but trust me:

5. Click the Insert button

6. In the text box to the right of Target: Click the browse button and locate your file (document).

7. Complete the process so that that full path to that document ends up in the Target text box.

8. You need make no other entries, simply close that dialog by saying or clicking on OK

9. Give the macro a unique command name and train it.

10. Enter a description if you want to be able to see exactly what that does

11. Also, put it in a unique category (create a category for say Word documents vs. user-defined so you can easily located in the Command Browser and it doesn’t get lumped in with everything else.

12. Make it a global command, not a window specific or application-specific one. If you do the latter, then the command won’t work when you wanted to. That is, it will only work when either Microsoft Word is open are in a specific window. You don’t want that. You wanted to open any time anywhere that you issue that command.

13. Once you do this and saved the macro, anytime that you issue that command name, Microsoft will open with that document automatically. It’s very fast and very easy to do.

This is why we don’t reinvent the wheel. In other words, we render on to Dragon that which is best done by Dragon and under VoicePower that which is best done by VoicePower.

Alan,

Since you use KnowBrainer, you might want to also try the “Save My Place” and “Find My Place” commands, and see if they suit you.

Fred F