Could not connect to Chrome extension

When I give the command “show numbers” in Google Chrome I get the message “Could not connect to the VoiceComputer Chrome Extension”.

What do I have to do to get Google Chrome to recognise the command? I believe I was sent an email link some time ago but I no longer seem to have a copy of it.

Viv

PS I have Dragon 13 and VC 13.
<edited><editID>k0065126</editID><editDate>2014-08-09 09:03:22</editDate></edited>

Viv,

I just sent the link to your Gmail account.

Open it in Chrome.

I just got a Surface Pro 3 and installed Google Chrome and Google automatically installed the VoiceComputer Chrome extension at the same time. It freaked me out. What doesn’t Google know about us?

It’s awesome having a tablet and being able to control it by voice wherever I go. Will be adding more Windows 8 commands to VoiceComputer in the coming weeks.

Ron,

Many thanks, I knew that I had been sent a link in an email, but I had forgotten that it was to my Gmail account. I have now installed the extension.

Viv

For some reason the Google numbers extension is no longer accessible, as I get the message “could not connect to the VoiceComputer chrome extension”.

I have checked Chrome extensions and Numbers Engine 0.5.55 is installed and enabled and “allow access to file URLs” is ticked.

As I have only just rebooted the computer this is a little puzzling.

Viv

PS, I have just shut down the computer and started it again and the Google Chrome numbers extension is now working. (It is very irritating that I find it very difficult to put the last punctuation mark in a sentence as quite often “full stop”, “period” and “dot” either do nothing or open a pop-up box for emoticons in Firefox, which I’m using for this message. Except that this time I was able to add the punctuation mark at the end of the sentence, this is very irritating but not at the end of this sentence.)

<edited><editID>k0065126</editID><editDate>2014-08-11 08:25:06</editDate></edited>

Viv,

What version of Dragon are you using. Are still using Dragon 12-12.5.1, I’m not surprised because you have no Full Text Control (Select-and-Say) in Firefox.

If you’re using DNS 13, then I am surprised because if the Dragon RIA (new Web Extension) is properly installed in either Google Chrome or Firefox, then you have Full Text Control (Select-and-Say) in either, which should not present a problem as far as dictation is concerned.

Nonetheless, I may be misunderstanding what you’re trying to say.

Chuck,

I have just checked Firefox and Dragon Web Extension 13.00.200.295 is installed, enabled and Automatic Updates are set to Automatic.

Chrome has Dragon Web Extension 13.0.0.94 enabled and I have just clicked to allow access to file URLs, although that seems unlikely to have any bearing on my problem.

Viv

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222" lang="en-US">My setup is :-</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222" lang="en-US">Windows 8.1, 64 bit;</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222" lang="en-US">Asus RAIDR Express PCIe SSD;</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222" lang="en-US">Asus GT630-SL-2GD3-L GPU;</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222" lang="en-US">Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 Motherboard, BIOS version 0602;</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222">Kingston
Technology XMP Beast Series 32GB 2400MHz DDR3 Memory.<br></p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222"> </p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222">Dragon
NaturallySpeaking 13 Premium;</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222">VoiceComputer
13;</p>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Verdana;font-size:9.75pt;color:#222222">KnowBrainer
2012.</p>

<br>
<p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"><strong>Forum:</strong> VoiceComputer<br></font>
<font color="#6633FF"><strong>Topic:</strong> Could not connect to Chrome extension<br></font>
<font color="#6633FF"><strong>Posted By:</strong> RonK<br></font>
<font color="#6633FF"><br>
Viv,</font></p><font color="#6633FF">

</font><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"> To clarify, you're down to one issue, correct?</font></p><font color="#6633FF">

</font><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"> > it very difficult to put the last punctuation mark in a
sentence</font></p><font color="#6633FF">

</font><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"> Chuck, </font></p><font color="#6633FF">

</font><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF">I'm having a similar problem in Chrome with DNS 13. If I say
a single word like period, or Ron..., Chrome doesn't put anything on the screen
but does a search and highlights all emails that contain the word. Is this some
great new feature of DNS 13 or ??</font></p><p ="Msonormal"><br></p><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"><font color="#000000">Ron,</font><br><br><font color="#000000">I received the above email but I am unable to find it in this message thread for some reason, unless it has been deleted. I still have the problem of the Google Chrome 'super numbers' command not working. This is in spite of having spent a lot of time running the System File Checker to repair some corrupted files, reinstalling VoiceComputer a couple of times, and then uninstalling VoiceComputer and removing all traces of it before reinstalling it. At least this last time I did manage to get VoiceComputer to ask for an activation code, unlike the previous 3 times I tried installing it. <br><br>For some reason I am still having to insert the final punctuation mark of the sentence by hand, and there are still one or 2 other issues which may, or may not, be related to VoiceComputer.<br></font></font></p><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"><font color="#000000">This time I have put my name in by typing to avoid losing everything I have dictated in this message, which happened on my last attempt.</font></font></p><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF"><font color="#000000">Viv</font></font></p><p ="Msonormal"><font color="#6633FF">PS, I am using Firefox for this posting.<br></font></p>

<!--if gte mso 9>
 <w:Word>
  <w:View>Normal</w:View>
  <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
  <w:TrackMoves/>
  <w:Trackatting/>
  <w:PunctuationKerning/>
  <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
  <w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
  <w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
  <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
  <w:DonotPromoteQF/>
  <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther>
  <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
  <w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
   <w:DontGrowAutofit/>
   <w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
   <w:EnableKerning/>
   <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
   <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <m:mathPr>
   <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
   <m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
   <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
   <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
   <m:dispDef/>
   <m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
   <m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
   <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
   <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
   <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
   <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
  </m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
 <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true"    DefSemi="true" DefQat="false" DefPriority="99"    LatentStyleCount="267">
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Normal"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="ing 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 6"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 7"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 8"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 9"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" Qat="true" Name="caption"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Title"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtitle"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Strong"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Emphasis"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="No Spacing"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Quote"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/>
  <w:LsdExcepti
I had deleted the message because I can no longer duplicate the problem.

>For some reason I am still having to insert the final punctuation mark of the sentence
>by hand, and there are still one or 2 other issues which may,
> or may not, be related to VoiceComputer.

I doubt that it's related to VoiceComputer. We'll try to track it down but it must be related to the new Dragon extension.

You didn't need to reinstall VoiceComputer to address your problem.

> At least this last time I did manage to get VoiceComputer to ask for an activation code,
> unlike the previous 3 times I tried installing it.

If VoiceComputer finds your previous license, it just reuses it.

As far as the VoiceComputer extension is concerned:

What version of Chrome are you using?

>PS, I have just shut down the computer and started it again and the Google Chrome
> numbers extension is now working.

So it works and then stops working?

>I have checked Chrome extensions and Numbers Engine 0.5.55 is installed
>and enabled and "allow access to file URLs" is ticked.

>"allow access to file URLs" is ticked.

Shouldn't be. Uncheck it, restart Chrome and see if it works.

If it still doesn't work. Is the Chrome extension displaying its colored box on the upper right corner of Chrome? If so what color is being displayed. (It should be orange if it's active (will be changing this to green in a future release.)
Can you display the numbers if you press the shortcut key, (alt+~)?

Ron,

I should have thought of that. You cannot duplicate the problem because it is peculiar to my computer. I believe that some of my problems are caused by corrupt files or programs, and are not to do with speech recognition programs not functioning correctly.

I believe that I did need to reinstall VoiceComputer because 2 or 3 times when I reinstalled it I was not taken to the activate screen. Normally the activate screen opens, I believe, and then usually after a few seconds picks up the licence code and then continues without me having to do anything. After I completely uninstalled VoiceComputer and then reinstalled it I was taken to the activate screen and required to enter the activation code.

I was using an out of date version of Chrome but it was impossible to update it due to corruption and so I had to uninstall it, download the new version and reinstall it. This seems to have sorted the problem with ‘super numbers’, and the enter key being disabled after dictation.

There still seem to be one or 2 peculiar things happening but I hope that I will identify the cause of the problem eventually.

Viv