Closing VoiceComputer 13 with DNS 13

So I have the newest version of VC along with DNS 13 Pro running with the new style window. My question is this, and it’s the same question I had with v. 12 of both: is it possible to start VC without any regard for DNS and to close it without any regard to DNS? I like the program, but I would just like to be able to start each program independently and close each program independently. As it is, if I try to shut down VC, it seems to insist on closing DNS, hanging my machine. If I close DNS first, then closing VC has the effect of re-opening DNS, which is, of course, crazy, and I wind up having to devote 15 minutes at the end of my day to closing down VC/DNS. Is there a setting somewhere so I can just start and close the programs independently?

John,

I believe that you cannot open VC without opening Dragon first, but you
should be able to shut down VC leaving Dragon open, although not the other way round. I think that if you
go to the System Tray and find the VC icon, then right click on it, you
will find an option to close VC.

You will probably need to give some information on your operating system, and computer specs to allow someone to suggest what you might do.

Viv

Right clicking the icon in the system tray gives me an option to close VC, but when I click it, it doesn’t actually close VC, but instead opens a dialog box giving me the following options:

1. Restart speech
2. Shutdown speech
3. Restart computer
4. Shutdown computer
5. Restart dragon

If you had already closed DNS prior to clicking close VC in the system tray, VC will re-open DNS, which I really don’t understand.

So now, no matter what you did to get here, you now have both VC and DNS open. Of the 5 options listed, the only option vaguely on point is Shutdown Speech, which attempts to close DNS and fails. I have since found that at this point, waiting does not help. It tells you not to use the mouse or keyboard, but if you do that, you’ll be there indefinitely. Instead, you can manually close DNS, and then VC closes, so I guess this is not a horrible result. It would be much nicer though, if like every other program, I could open and close VC on its own.

JohnPrz2014-09-26 07:41:23

Sorry, I think I was in error when I said that you can close down VoiceComputer and leave Dragon open.

I believe there have been changes to VoiceComputer to more closely integrate it with Dragon so that both programs can be closed down with one command. Closing down Dragon will also close down VoiceComputer as that cannot be open on its own, and, as you have found out, closing down VoiceComputer also closes down Dragon.

Are you using VoiceComputer 13.02 or 13.05, and what is your operating system, processor, and amount of memory?

Viv

My setup is :-
Windows 8.1, 64 bit;
Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 Motherboard, BIOS version 1304, (the latest version);
Processor Intel i7-4770S 3.1 GHz;
Asus RAIDR Express PCIe SSD;
Asus GT630-SL-2GD3-L GPU;
Kingston Technology XMP Beast Series 32GB 2400MHz DDR3 Memory.

Speech Recognition Programs :-
Dragon 13 Premium;
VoiceComputer 13.02;
Vocola 2.8.1I+.

Well I think I’ve got it sorted now. Just have to make sure I manually close down dragon when VC gets stuck because of the new interface. But for what it’s worth, my setup is:

ThinkPad T440s
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4600U @ 2.1GHz
12.0 GB RAM
500 GB SSD

Speech recognition:
Dragon 13 Professional
VoiceComputer 13.0.5
Vocola 2.8.1I+
USB 3-in-1 TableMike