Changing width of columns in table

IUC tables function of word quite often. I use 2 columns and 1 row. Some of you may be familiar with notepads that have a line creating columns of one third and two thirds of the document. I do something similar with my table. My question is any idea how I could do this column with changing hands-free?

Of course, I also have to say how much I am appreciating super numbers. Here is an example. My billing program opens in the upper right area of the screen. When I use the open programs function, and say place upper right it is not open in the exact place it does on its own. As a result, my super numbers are not squatting on what they should be. Thankfully, super numbers works in the bottom bar where the open programs are listed. I just have placed numbers on those programs, including my billing program, that have to open to a particular place on the screen.

I assume Ron and Chucker are responsible for this feature? I invite both of you, even if only one is responsible because I know the other had something to do with some of the other features, to breakfast or lunch at A Taste of Belgium. It is waffles are scrumptious. I would recommend the “McWaffle.” It is cheese, two eggs and Apple smoked bacon between two waffles. All I can say is, I have not had such a good meal since the last meal my girlfriend made for me before she realized I was married.

By the way, I am located in Cincinnati. And if your schedule requires an overnight, I have a guest room with twin beds. And if you would like, my only son who bought a motorcycle behind my back, Newman, would be happy to join you. Picture attached.

Picture was too big and I do not know how to make it smaller. I therefore am going to email it to Ron and Chucker. They can choose to post it. I would expect they would. It is worth the chuckle.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jim

Jim,

I assume that what you’re trying to do is to create a table in Microsoft Word. If that’s correct, there are a set of Natural Language Commands for creating tables of any size up to 100 columns x 100 rows in Microsoft Word.

If what you’re wanting to do is to create a 2 x 1 table, then simply say that. That is, simply say “create a 2 x 1 table”. That will give you a table with two columns and one row. Obviously, two columns will be of the same width each being one half the page width. Regardless, if you want to see the table commands, search the Command Browser under Microsoft Word on the two keywords “create” and “table” by entering the keyword “create” first and “table” second. You’ll see all that you can do with tables in Microsoft Word.

I do this all the time and have used those commands since they were originally created by the Natural Language Commands team while I was still at L&H.

As regards your billing program, I forget how will that billing program opens based on what we did the other day. However, if the overlay isn’t specifically based on the billing program screen, then your numbers are going to be off if the billing program falls within the overlay that you originally created. However, I can’t believe there isn’t a way to create an overlay specifically for the billing program, which, if you can, will automatically resize the billing program screen both in terms of size and location. I use that capability all time when working with Internet Explorer when it doesn’t open where I want it or to the size that I want it.Chucker2013-06-23 14:55:39

Thank you, Chucker, for getting back to me.

I love to use the line from “Cool Hand Luke” by the character played by Struthers Martin: “Luke, what we have here is a failure to communicate.”

The failure is from my end. I have no problem creating the table. What I want to do is move the line between the two columns so that one column is about one third of the table and the other two thirds. To do it now, I have to place the mouse on the line between the two columns and then left click and hold and move it to the left.

Does that make any sense?

Much appreciated,

Jim

Jim,

Why drag the mouse manually? If you can get the cursor placed on the vertical separation line between columns, use VoiceComputer and simply say “drag left <1-100>” (small increments – pixels), or “drag left <1-100> percent” (large increments – Screen Grid).

You can even determine exactly where the vertical separator between columns is by mouse position and perform the entire operation by voice and Voice Mouse commands.

You can also use Super Numbers:

1. Create the table first.

2. Place the mouse cursor such that the boundary marker symbol is displayed.

3. Say “mouse click”.

4. Move the cursor to where you want the border moved and then say “mouse click”.

That creates an overlay with two numbers (1 and 2) with 1 on the vertical border boundary between the two columns and 2 where you want the border moved.

Then every time you create the same document with the same table, you can say “drag one to two” and the boundary will be moved accordingly.

The only issue here is that it gets tricky in that you have to create a new overlay if you create more than one row or more than two columns. It’s a little awkward if you’re constantly changing your screen and your table. But if you’re doing the same thing every single time, then it works beautifully. Otherwise use the mouse drag commands as noted above.

The bottom line is KISS. That is, use what works best depending upon how you work within your application. In many cases, the Voice Mouse commands are more effective because you can move the mouse in small increments until it lines up exactly where you want and then you can say “drag left | right | up | down | upper left | lower left | upper right | lower right <1-100> <%>”. In other words, it’s very easy to move the mouse in very small increments until you get it positioned exactly where you want it. And then simply use the drag commands.Chucker2013-06-24 16:32:54

Thank you Chucker,

as usual on doing something wrong. When I open up word and create the table when I say display canvas it reduces the size of the word document by one half. I place the cursor in the middle borderline insane mouseclick and it does create a 1. However, I cannot click and drag that border. When I click it another number appears. I tried moving the mouse to where I wanted the new borderline and created a number two. The command drag “drag 1 to 2” simply removes the super numbers campus.

Going home.

Much appreciated,

Jim

Jim,

Â
Note the following:
Â

Â

This is why it’s better to use the Voice Mouse commands because creating an overlay to do this can be done, but it’s tricky.Chucker2013-06-25 02:54:25

Chucker,

thank you for getting back to me. Still not working. After I created the table I placed the mouse over the vertical column boundary. I then said “create overlay.” When I said mouseclick, super number number 1 was right on the verbal column boundary. I then moved the mouse to the left where I wanted the column boundary to be and gave the command mouseclick and a super number 2 appeared. When I said “drag one to two” [I did not say numeral one or numeral two]. When I gave the command the screen downsized by 50% in the attached is the result. The screenshot did not pick up the cursor which is at the beginning of the first column.

Also, I just noticed that when I gave the “drag one to two”, VoiceComputer gave me a message that it could not complete the command. As Sherlock Holmes would say “this is a most interesting problem, Watson.”

As always, thanks so much,

Jim

Jim,

What version of Microsoft Word are you using? One screen captures above in my previous post, I tested it in both Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2013. If you are using Microsoft Office 2010 I can try it out, but I suspect that the problem is that the cursor actually wasn’t where it should have been or something else was interfering.Chucker2013-06-28 08:40:00

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Chucker:

I am in fact using office 2010.

Much appreciated,

Jim